Beginners and Beyond

Fumosity Friday Penguins (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Another court day then 8 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning !!!

Tried a front elbow plank, but didn't time it.  Another 2 mile interval run/walk this afternoon. Going to try  for 6 miles total.  Last RD was Aug 6.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Fumosity:  condition of fuming; an exhalation.

How many Penguins are already up and fuming along, exhaling greatly?

AFM:  Went for a run/walk after work yesterday.  Weatherman predicted 96 degrees with 'feel like' temp of 98.  Not too bad.   Got out there, started doing my thing...it sure felt a bit hotter to me than 96.  I was right.  Got about 2 miles in and the radio station I was listening to reported the current temp as 98 with a 'feels like' temp of 103.  Gaaack!  I decided just to head back to the Y as I was feeling a bit sluggish out there., especially as it's been about 2 months since I ran 3 straight days in a row.  Ended up with 2.8 miles done at an easy pace.  After I got back to the Y, I did a plank...and got up to a WHOLE minute.  Progress, lol.

Rest day today.   Lunch at our university athletics complex, our football team is having an Open House and Meet-and-Greet the players, etc., free food and drink.  I love football and am a season ticket holder for our team, the University of Texas San Antonio RoadRunners, which is only in its 3rd year.  We moved to a new conference this year and our first home game is with Oklahoma State...Shocked.   Welcome to Big Boy Football, Roadrunners!  I think we are gonna get our butts kicked a lot this year, but it will definitely be a learning experience for the team.  Our coach is Larry Coker, who used to coach the Miami Hurricanes.

Today is August 23.  Holidays for today are "Ride The Wind Day" - in other words, take it easy today, kick back, enjoy yourself - and National Sponge Cake Day.

wind tunnel cartoons, wind tunnel cartoon, wind tunnel picture, wind tunnel pictures, wind tunnel image, wind tunnel images, wind tunnel illustration, wind tunnel illustrations

wind tunnel cartoons, wind tunnel cartoon, wind tunnel picture, wind tunnel pictures, wind tunnel image, wind tunnel images, wind tunnel illustration, wind tunnel illustrations

skydiver cartoons, skydiver cartoon, skydiver picture, skydiver pictures, skydiver image, skydiver images, skydiver illustration, skydiver illustrations

parasailing cartoons, parasailing cartoon, parasailing picture, parasailing pictures, parasailing image, parasailing images, parasailing illustration, parasailing illustrations

sponge cake cartoons, sponge cake cartoon, sponge cake picture, sponge cake pictures, sponge cake image, sponge cake images, sponge cake illustration, sponge cake illustrations

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Your boss is really 'courting you', Damaris!

Good luck with the 6 miles, Jerry!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Quick morning run, and got a plank in last night.  It was my second plank ever.  60 seconds again.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

D: Have some good miles tonight. I hope it is a bit cooler for you.

Scotty: I seriously don't know how you guys can run in the heat. I can barely stand going outside in that.

Jerry: Nice little streak you have going!

Awood: Try the 20 plank video from She Can. I still can't find the Nat Daddy!!

All other Pens: Enjoy your runs and weekends.

As for me, SRD for me and it is coming on a good day. I did an 8 mile tempo run last night at 5:30 and I didn't think it was so hot. Well, it was and it hit me at mile 6. Man, I thought I was overheating. Even DW said "What's wrong with you?"  So, it's rest today, 5 recovery tomorrow (early), and 14 on Sunday (earlier).  Today's quandry invlolves beer; should I drink some tonight or not?

Have a great weekend.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

No running....just flying (my arms will be tired hehe).... off to my aunt's in FL!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

From the Internet.

Morning everyone!

Feeling better, lots of work to do. Gym at some point today, 70 second plank last night. I forgot to do it until after dinner so it wasn't a very pleasant 70 seconds. I do not recommend planking on a full stomach!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your run and the plank, Awood.  Yeah, I got to 60 seconds - finally! - on my plank for yesterday.  I'm a wimp at that plank stuff.

Happy trip to Florida, Kristin!  Doing a race down there?  Hope you can get some running in and the weather behaves for you.

Well, Jack, I wear as few clothes as possible and that helps... Wink

Glad you are feeling better, Lauren. Good luck with your busy day today!  Congrats on the plank!

Docket_Rocket

Weather behaving in FL?  She arrives down here on Tuesday.  With my luck we will have a cold front while she is here and she won't notice how bad it is.  I just stepped out of the car for lunch and I felt I needed SPF 100 for the 10th of a mile trip to the restaurant.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hi Pens...

D: Have some good miles tonight. I hope it is a bit cooler for you.

Scotty: I seriously don't know how you guys can run in the heat. I can barely stand going outside in that.

Jerry: Nice little streak you have going!

Awood: Try the 20 plank video from She Can. I still can't find the Nat Daddy!!

All other Pens: Enjoy your runs and weekends.

As for me, SRD for me and it is coming on a good day. I did an 8 mile tempo run last night at 5:30 and I didn't think it was so hot. Well, it was and it hit me at mile 6. Man, I thought I was overheating. Even DW said "What's wrong with you?"  So, it's rest today, 5 recovery tomorrow (early), and 14 on Sunday (earlier).  Today's quandry invlolves beer; should I drink some tonight or not?

Have a great weekend.

Do you get North Coast beer, Jack?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice luncheon at the University today.  It was the 'meet-and-greet' luncheon for UTSA football, where you can meet the team players, coaches, etc, get photos with them, and so forth.  Pretty nice spread...not exactly healthy, lol, but nice....frozen yogurt, tacos, burritos, pizza, some other stuff.   Only problem coming back to work after all that...I just want to take a nap now, lol.

I also got a photo with our team mascot Rowdy RoadRunner

photo 8d61567e-c168-4ea8-9946-804a5aa99190_zps49c4ae06.jpg

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Jerry: it doesn't ring a bell, so my guess is "no." I can look at BevMo as they have a ton of brands that are not in the markets.

Scotty: if the mascot ever calls in sick I think you would be the perfect sub!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

scotty no races for me. Not sure how much good running FL will have in store but we shall see, the weather Damaris describes terrifies me! I will be all over FL from Ft Meyers (today) all the way to the Keys (Sunday) and Miami, hope to run in all locations, heat  be damned!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to