Beginners and Beyond

Never Underestimate The Tuesday Penguins! (Read 30 times)

Zelanie

Morning!  Later meeting today so I slept in a bit. Smile  Today is yet another RD, but I will at least walk the dogs.  I haven't done even that much the past couple of days.  Scotty, to answer yesterday's question, I'm trying to rest my hip, which started acting up again this past weekend.  I've been rolling it, and I think I'll try a short run tomorrow evening.

Gustav- I have had the same email address for so long I have no idea what I'd do!  Mine is through my ISP too, yikes!

D- Hope the rib is feeling better!

kristin- Good luck getting your run in tonight!  I've definitely found my enjoyment of the TM improved as I got used to longer outside runs.  Then I could take my shorter runs on the TM.

Mitch- December sounds like a good amount of time to see if you're feeling up to it or not.  Either way, I'm still looking forward to what you're doing next!

Jimmy- Hope the legs are feeling better!  Sounds like you need to take it super easy in those vibrams!

Bin- Glad you're having a good vacation!

HsM- Have a good day!  Hope your next performance is great!

Tori- Hope your day is as nice as the weather over there!

Jerry- Looking forward to that RR!

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, I'm back from my haircut!  I usually walk to the salon, as it's not too far away, so now I am sweating like a pig.  Time to go sit in the lab and cool off!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Just regular maintenance stuff.  I have to stay on top of it since I drive so much.  Don't have time to do it myself right now with the wedding coming up.

Thanks, Awood. Guess that's my plan.

Car went into ditch again?

Tori - Our weather is looking good too, as long as the rain holds off.

Jerry - How did the FR10 do on the elevation?

Jack -  This will be the second time I've run to this garage.  I'll be wearing my headband, and make it a progression run.  The neighborhoods get progressively worse, the closer I get.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

From the Internet.

Hi pens! Busy day, got up early to get my run in before work. 5 minutes walk/5 minutes jog x 3, so about 1.5 miles total running. Hitting the gym sometime this afternoon, yet another thesis defense to attend either before/after that, lunch date with DH in a few. My schedule finally calms down a bit tomorrow, looking forward to that!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Awood, it did not do elevations, only splits for 50 miles and distance.   I should have set it for speed instead of pace.. Pace was kind of meaningless.  Battery died before landing.

SheCan

Wooohooo@ all the Penguin racers over last weekend!  Y'all aren't wobbly ol penguins at all.  Great job Kristin, Jack, Mitch, Scotty, Jerry (great job to you and your wife)  and Ginny (way to conquer those hills.  It sounds like you don't give yourself enough credit on how strong you are on the hills).

Yesterday I struggled with 12 miles in the wind.  It' blew all day yesterday and half the night last night.  Thankfully the world still looks alright today.  Did 5 today in the now cooler but less windy weather.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

She Can: Those are the same winds that ripped through my area. You are correct when you say it is no fun running in that.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today is Hill Day.  Will do a 3-4 mile route of all hills.  Should be fun after work too, as the temp today in San Antonio is supposed to shoot up to 88 degrees.  We also have Damaris' Miama humidity to go with that temp, as thunderstorms have been threatening all day.  Lots of dark clouds around and very muggy air!

Good luck with your 5 miles, Gustav. Sounds like you have weather like mine.

Have fun with the strides and weights, Damaris.  Amazing you can do strides while carrying weights.  Joking

Ahhh, the 'human alarm clock', Kristin.  Sometimes funny...sometimes gross...it's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get! Big grin  Good luck with  the workout today if you get one in.

Congrats on your miles last night, Mitch.  Heavy legs not sounding good.

I guess I'd drive you crazy then, Jimmy, if you ever ran with me.  I start and stop all the time, lol.  Have patience with your friend, it will pay off in the end.   Sorry about the soreness.   I don't see how anyone can run in those vibrams...tried 'em once...hated 'em.  I'll stick with my good old 'lots of support' regular running shoes that bear up my fat pretty well.

Well, enjoy the down time, Bin, a week off won't hurt you.  You'll come back all energized and ready to go.

Run from the house to the garage....drive home all sweaty....and your wife won't want to get into the car anymore, Awood.  "Ooooh, that smell...that smell that gets around you!"  Big grin  My wife is funny...she's a Scentsy vendor and before we go anywhere in my vehicle, she sprays it quite thoroughly with a Scentsy aroma product, lol.

Good luck with all your activities this week, HsM!

Enjoy that beautiful weather, Tori!  Good luck with your run!  It seems you are a lot happier now with no more studying.  Smile

Welcome home, Jerry!  Enjoy the down time, you earned it.

Good luck with the miles, Jack, and hope DD enjoys her pool time.  OK, you gotta post a photo of the Bin Headband....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang, so sorry Zelanie, I thought the hip was all better.  Hope it behaves itself for you!

What, HsM, no photo of the new haircut?  Cry   Wink

Sounds like a busy day for you, Lauren!  Congrats on getting your run taken care of already.

Congrats on the 12-miles in windy conditions, She Can!  Glad your 5 was a bit calmer for you!

Uh oh... Mr. Local Radio Weather Guy just announced we may get some MAJOR thunderstorm action and possible hail in the PM time after work and through the night.  Hope it behaves itself until after I do my hills.  I should be good....they are predicting around 6 pm. or so and I usually start my run around 4:30 pm.   Since I do pretty low mileage for my running, I should be done before the weather goes all to hail...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

tracilynn

I strongly dislike running in wind Jokingand never really knew how much it can affect your run in a negative way.  I rather run in rain than in high winds or cold or heat even.

I ran 2 miles last night.  Finally got to that 2 mile mark.  Ha.  Will hold at 2 for awhile.  Then I walk/ ran another 1.5 miles.

My 4 year old had his check up today and got 4 shots in his thighs Dead.  Poor guy.  I took him to play to try to keep the legs moving because every time he sits for awhile he can barely walk when he has to get up.   Me and my husband had to hold him down during the shots.  So glad thats overr with.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Doing the no rain dance, awood!! There's been a chance of rain here since Sunday, yesterday afternoon it looked like it was going to rain, but it hasn't yet!!

Just regular maintenance stuff.  I have to stay on top of it since I drive so much.  Don't have time to do it myself right now with the wedding coming up.

Tori - Our weather is looking good too, as long as the rain holds off.

Jerry - How did the FR10 do on the elevation?

Jack -  This will be the second time I've run to this garage.  I'll be wearing my headband, and make it a progression run.  The neighborhoods get progressively worse, the closer I get.

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty: we'll see about the headband picture. I am not as brave as Bin... Smile

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Hey all...  Grumpy here today as I sit in the parking lot @ kids school waiting for them to finish up track practice.  Not enough hours in the day!  It's 36 deg F and day 2 of pouring rain. Treadmill run tonight if I don't throw in the towel.  I know I'm just whining because I'll take this, all day over snow, but that starts tomorrow and chance of snow through Saturday.  ROFL   What's a guy supposed to do except laugh it off.   As I type I listen to the radio talk about severe weather out west.  I just need to shut up.

I received an email from the organizers of the 25k "trail" race I have Saturday early. Due to trail conditions they've had to reroute part of the course onto a couple of roads to make it so people "won't need to wear traction devices" or something similar.  While that is somewhat disappointing I'm just looking forward to taking on the distance.

Im off to an out of town conference for the next two and a half days as of tomorrow. Have a blast and catcha later!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - That stuff smells great.  I on the other hand, do not.  :-)  It turns out my mechanic is about 5 1/4 miles away!

N-Bug - I got to grumpy, and pictured grumpy cat.  I'm sorry.  Your grumpy day made me smile.  Anyway, good luck on your race!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

GinnyinPA

I tried to do a long run today on the C&O Canal, but it wasn't much of a run.  Saturday I ran in the low 30's, Sunday in the mid'50s and today was in the low '80's.  My body said NO to the heat.  It was easy flat running, but there are no leaves on the trees yet so no shade.  I drank 20 oz water by mile 7, and then I just gave up and walked the last couple of miles.  I wasn't sure if I was going to have heat stroke or a heart attack - either way I was nauseous and couldn't breathe, even while walking.  I'm still not feeling all that great.  It did answer the question about whether I'm ready for a 15k race.  The answer is a resounding no.  Oh well, there's always next year.

Scotty - I can't stand strong perfumes, and my husband is even worse.  No car spray for us!  I hope you got your hills run before the storm hit.

Kristin - after all your exertions over the weekend, you needed some rest.  Hope the TM went well.

Zelanie - Hope your walk went well and your hip feels better.

Hopesmom - bad dress rehearsal = good performance.  I'm sure the competition will go better.

Awood - combining chores with exercise is a good idea.  I used to bicycle everywhere and I always figured that if nothing else, I'd gotten a good workout.

Bin - sorry about the rain and not being able to run.  I hope it hasn't been all rain.  Some vacation destinations are easier than others to find good places.  Sometimes it works to ask the concierges at the hotel, and they'll direct you to good places.

Tracilynn- good job getting to two miles.  How does it feel?

Lauren - a mile and a half is a good start.

Cherie - I like a light wind, it feels invigorating, but a stiff headwind can be difficult.  Good work doing 12 miles in it.

Tori - stop dancing!  We need the rain!

N-bug - the rain should melt the snow.  Maybe they will be able to do the whole race on the trail after all.  Safe travels.

Gustav - I've had the same Hotmail address for over 15 years.  We get internet through the satellite feed. Have a good 5 miles.

Damaris - hope your 7 go well.

Jimmy - how long have you been wearing the Vibrams?

Jerry - enjoy your rest day.  You earned it.

Jack - definitely send a picture.  I bought a cheap headband at Walmart, and it's too small.  One size fits most, except pumpkin heads like me.   Enjoy your run this afternoon.