Beginners and Beyond

Penguin Puppy Wednesday! (Read 15 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Today is National Puppy Day!

PADRunner

4 miles for me this morning.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

PAD - good job on the 4

I really want to get another puppy... maybe I'll use today as an excuse ;-)  My mom (who does all of my dog sitting when I travel) has said we can't get a second dog until her elderly dog passes away, which I guess is acceptable.  She has to give her dog meds a couple of times per day, so while taking care of one extra dog isn't too bad, an extra dog + a puppy would be too much work.  Anyway, 4ish for me a bit later on...  before it hits 70.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Still sick, which is a problem because I've got a Friends and Family performance tonight that involves both the chorus and quartet.  I think I can at least fake the chorus performance, and I told the quartet that I would be ok to sing, but it wouldn't be a great performance, so what did they want to do?  Haven't heard back yet.  I do have a doctor's appointment at 1:45, where I expect him to tell me that I have a cold, and I'll have to ride it out.  But at least when my mother calls to check up on me, I'll be able to say, "Yes, I went to the doctor!" 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

PAD - that's a weird picture.  Photoshop is wonderful.  Good job on the early four.

Jill - I'd like a puppy too, but that's not going to happen.  Having one dog in a tiny truck camper is hard enough.  Two would be insane. Enjoy your four.  We might as well get used to running in the warm weather, because it may be a hot summer, considering how early it's starting this year.

HopesMom - sorry you're still sick.  I hope you get to sing this evening.

AFM - I want to do 6 or so this afternoon.  My body is still a bit stiff and sore, for absolutely no reason, so I'll have to see how it goes.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  I have 12 miles tonight (TM, of course).

Feel better, Hope.  Hope the show goes well.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Last night was the Veteran Suicide Awareness 2-Miler, in which Team RWB (Red White & Blue) San Antonio ran or walked 1 mile from VFW Post 76 down to The Alamo, flags flying, in remembrance of, and to increase awareness of, the fact that an average of 22 veterans a day commit suicide for various reasons.  We get a group photo taken before the start and then one again once we reach The Alamo.  I'm in that mass of veterans somewhere, wearing my white running gloves with arms raised.

After the photo below was taken, most people then go back to the VFW the way we came out.  A few of us elected to go a different route back, a bit of a longer way along the San Antonio Riverwalk.  This gave me a total of 3.5 miles for my outing, on a very pleasant 79-degree sunny - but a bit windy - day.  After getting back to the VFW, I joined the post run/walk party...food, beer, and good camraderie.   Very nicely done.

Today, more beautiful weather for my post-work run/walk, sunny, blue skies, about 76 degrees.  Have to go get my arthritis med first, and then will probably get a run/walk in at Fort Sam Houston along my 'doggie route' and treat my 4-legged friends to some doggie biscuits.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Yay for docs who run. I was able to get in with the primary sports doc for Oregon State. He says it's either a stress fracture or calf strain. X-rays looked OK so he wants to do an MRI. Either way he says we can make the marathon work. They have an alter G there or pool running. His wife apparently trained for a full entirely on pool running before, and of course we know Lauren kicked butt in the pool.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Yay for docs who run. I was able to get in with the primary sports doc for Oregon State. He says it's either a stress fracture or calf strain. X-rays looked OK so he wants to do an MRI. Either way he says we can make the marathon work. They have an alter G there or pool running. His wife apparently trained for a full entirely on pool running before, and of course we know Lauren kicked butt in the pool.

That sounds like good news (fingers crossed). Are you on break this week?

Zelanie

That sounds like good news (fingers crossed). Are you on break this week?

Yes.  You too?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Yes.  You too?

I have Friday off and all next week. Smile

Jill.

Penguin Power!

That's good news I guess?

I just got back from my run and it sucked.  I felt off all day (since I woke up) and I was hoping the run would still manage to be okay, but the same exact 4 mile route as yesterday took me 2.5 minutes longer, and it isn't like I was pushing myself yesterday... but they can't all be good runs.  Now I'm off to meet with a student.  In NYC my private school students are on break, but public schools are still in session.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

I have Friday off and all next week. Smile

Nice!

Jill, almost always the next run is better when that happens!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

oh, 7 easy today.

Z: Thanks again for the plan; I am liking it! If I PR we will take you guys to dinner when we are up there. Smile

Zelanie

oh, 7 easy today.

Z: Thanks again for the plan; I am liking it! If I PR we will take you guys to dinner when we are up there. Smile

Which one are you doing, again?