Beginners and Beyond

Hot Weekend Penguins (Read 16 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Still hot here.  Yesterday it got up to 105, which was 3 degrees cooler than the day before.  It was so hot that Zoe went to the door to ask to go out, I opened it, and she turned right around and stayed inside.  Too hot to pee.  I don't think I've seen them do that before.

At those temps, even running in the (no AC) garage is a no go.  I waited until 9PM when it was 91, then went outside for my run.  Still not a lot of air circulation, but less stuffy than the garage.  Plus the moon was nice.  I ran 8, and boy am I stiff today!  Another late 8 planned for tonight.

hog4life

RD for me, back to work on day shift!

From the Internet.

2 hours 20 minutes in the pool - flew by with the new waterproof iPod, I started listening to Serial and I'm hooked. I'm even gonna start bringing this thing on long/easy runs when I'm back on the roads again!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning pens!  6.1 this morning (finally outdoors).  The first 5 of it were nice, but then for the last mile or so my stomach got really upset to the point that I was dry heaving.  I'm really not sure what's up with that.  I took a walk break and finished it out the best that I could.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to do my first run longer than HM distance (ever) with 15 on the plan.  I think I'll need to get out the door by 5am because I'm a very very slow runner and it gets hot here pretty early in the morning.  I guess I'll set everything out tonight and have the coffee on auto brew at 4:30am.  I'm pretty nervous for it.  I was thinking of having hubby meet me at mile 12ish of my route to encourage me through the last 3 miles, but he is *not* a morning person so that might not be realistic.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

hog4life

Morning pens!  6.1 this morning (finally outdoors).  The first 5 of it were nice, but then for the last mile or so my stomach got really upset to the point that I was dry heaving.  I'm really not sure what's up with that.  I took a walk break and finished it out the best that I could.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to do my first run longer than HM distance (ever) with 15 on the plan.  I think I'll need to get out the door by 5am because I'm a very very slow runner and it gets hot here pretty early in the morning.  I guess I'll set everything out tonight and have the coffee on auto brew at 4:30am.  I'm pretty nervous for it.  I was thinking of having hubby meet me at mile 12ish of my route to encourage me through the last 3 miles, but he is *not* a morning person so that might not be realistic.

Do you have any group runs you could join? It makes it a lot easier to run long with others. Another thing that I do if by myself, like yesterday, I put out aid. Stock it with water, Gatorade, power bars, etc. On my 17 mile route from yesterday, I passed by the aid at miles 3.8, 8.5, and 14. It really helps to know you have some fuel and hydration coming up.

From the Internet.

Do you have any group runs you could join? It makes it a lot easier to run long with others. Another thing that I do if by myself, like yesterday, I put out aid. Stock it with water, Gatorade, power bars, etc. On my 17 mile route from yesterday, I passed by the aid at miles 3.8, 8.5, and 14. It really helps to know you have some fuel and hydration coming up.

2nd these suggestions, and if you can mentally handle planning out a route to loop past your house I actually like to do that sometimes if I'm not feeling super confident about my long run for whatever reason (that was how I made it to 16 miles with Achilles tendon acting up in June). I'll change up which roads I take on the loops so they're not totally repetitive, or I'll run a longer loop first with some fuel on me so I have more than half the run done already by the time I've stopped at home to refill water/take another gel.

Docket_Rocket

Hi. I have 7 or an RD. will decide later. Cold is better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

emmbee

queen of headlamps

8 on the river path @ 10:05 pace, which is the fastest I've run 8 miles in about five or six months.    Hansons' calls for long runs to be done at a faster than easy, but still aerobic pace.  I'd like to see that come down a bit more but the 15mph headwind on the way back was a bit much.

On my longer runs I just usually pack the water along with me and allow myself a short (~2 minute) break if I need it.  But I've had some luck looping past the house --- water bottles and Swedish fish in a bag at the end of the driveway.

PADRunner

Took a RD today and did the lawn.

hog4life

Took a RD today and did the lawn.

"did the lawn" and RD should be used in the same sentence, haha

GinnyinPA

Z - it is hot when the dogs won't go out.  Last summer, when we were in Oregon, there were a couple of times that Ben refused to get out of the car because it was so hot.  That was a surprise.  I hope you get a cooldown soon.  I thought about running last night with the full moon and cool temps, but for some reason was really sleepy when we walked Ben and decided to skip it.  It was a pretty night though.

Mitch and PAD - hope you had a restful rest day.

Lauren - nice that you found a way to make your water run go quickly.

sapf - could you have been dehydrated this morning?  One suggestion for your long run:  get dropped off (or take a train) to the far end of your distance and run back home.  If you are having trouble along the way, walk as much as you need to, but you will have covered the full distance, which will make it easier next time.  Alternately, figure out a route that will allow you to add in extra loops or out and backs, to make the full distance, but if you aren't doing well, you can cut it short.  Or a figure eight type run, where you pass your car (with extra water) midway and if your stomach gets upset, you'll have a bailout.  When I did my first 20 miler, there was a 16 mile loop that I started with, then I ran in circles around Gettysburg College for four miles.  The second time I ran 20, that strategy backfired, because I did an 18 mile loop, saw my car and said, "I'm done."  Having done several half marathons, I don't think you'll have that much trouble going a couple of miles farther, but I remember being really nervous before my first 16 mile run.

DR - I'm glad the cold is better.  So which did you do?

Today was less humid and not that hot, so I got to run outside.  I waited until afternoon to run my seven miles because it was supposed to get cloudy, but the clouds were mostly small and didn't provide any real shade so I went into town to take advantage of the bigger trees.  My Garmin did some very strange things the first couple of miles - the first mile was really slow (12:14), but it showed a best pace of 1:15, then the second mile was super fast (7:40) with a best pace of 2:21.  I'm quite sure I wasn't running that fast.  The rest was pretty normal and the average was right, so I think somehow the intervals were off at the beginning.  It was very weird to look down and see a 7:40 pace when I was just jogging along.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

sapf - could you have been dehydrated this morning?  One suggestion for your long run:  get dropped off (or take a train) to the far end of your distance and run back home.  If you are having trouble along the way, walk as much as you need to, but you will have covered the full distance, which will make it easier next time.  Alternately, figure out a route that will allow you to add in extra loops or out and backs, to make the full distance, but if you aren't doing well, you can cut it short.  Or a figure eight type run, where you pass your car (with extra water) midway and if your stomach gets upset, you'll have a bailout.  When I did my first 20 miler, there was a 16 mile loop that I started with, then I ran in circles around Gettysburg College for four miles.  The second time I ran 20, that strategy backfired, because I did an 18 mile loop, saw my car and said, "I'm done."  Having done several half marathons, I don't think you'll have that much trouble going a couple of miles farther, but I remember being really nervous before my first 16 mile run.

Ginny - car?!  What kind of person do you think I am? ;-)   Having a car in NYC is super expensive, parking in my building is something silly like $300 per month for a spot.

I think that I could probably hide some fuel in the local park.  The suggestions of going back home are too enticing, also since I live on the 37th floor by the time I get upstairs I've lost my mojo to keep going.  I can always just go to central park because there are always a lot of runners there and if I run into trouble a kindly stranger will almost certainly help me.  I can probably do something like my 6 mile loopx2 + my 3 mile loop?  6 mile loop twice + 3 mile loop is nice because then I can pick up hubby for that last 3 miles and he can keep me going.  The perk of NYC is water is almost never a problem - I know of fountains just about every mile along most of my routes.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

37th floor 

Ooh. Yeah that complicates stopping at home! Scratch that suggestion, haha.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

15 miles done at penguin pace Smile hubby joined me for the last 3 miles, and I made my last mile my fastest mile of the run. It went much much better than last week's long run. What a difference fueling can make Smile