Beginners and Beyond

In Search of: A Fall Half Marathon (Read 38 times)

LRB

I am not seeing my usual fall 13.1 mile suckfest (Romeo 2 Richmond) on any of the race calendars here, so I thought I better look for alternatives just in case it's done.

Criteria is quite simple:

• September 14 - October 28
    • Starting temps in the 40s
    • Relatively flat (rolling hills are fine)
    • Will pay extra for overcast skies 

The Monumental Half Marathon on November 3rd is my fallback race if I cannot find anything before then.

Thanks

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I am not seeing my usual fall 13.1 mile suckfest (Romeo 2 Richmond) on any of the race calendars here, so I thought I better look for alternatives just in case it's done.

Criteria is quite simple:

• September October 14 - October December 28
      • Starting temps in the 40s
      • Relatively flat (rolling hills are fine)
      • Will pay extra for overcast skies 

The Monumental Half Marathon on November 3rd is my fallback race if I cannot find anything before then.

Thanks

FYP

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

The 40s usually don't exist here after Thanksgiving, and anything after November 30 is of no use to me.

I figured I'd check my history, but apparently I only ran 4 HMs before leaving MI.

Of course you can just do the usual search of RunMichigan.com or RunningintheUSA.com (which I just did).

Thought about just doing Detroit? Or Grand Rapids? They seem to meet all your criteria.

You ever run Brooksie Way? I never did, but it was pretty popular IIRC.

Heroes on Hines, Plymouth (9/29) - uses some of the Martian course I believe

Capital City River Run, Lansing (9/23)

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Last year, it was in the mid 60s for Detroit, though.

Damaris

Last year, it was in the mid 60s for Detroit, though.

Ha, anything can happen, but that's pretty unusual. They were only doing it for you. 

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ha, anything can happen, but that's pretty unusual. They were only doing it for you. 

Of course...

Damaris

BTW, anyone remember the TV show "In Search Of...", back in the late '70s? Narrated by Leonard Nimoy. I thought that show was awesome when I was a kid.

Dave

LRB

Yeah that was the warmest start for Detroit in years. Certainly since I first ran it in 2012. It's usually in the 30s here in October.

LRB

Of course you can just do the usual search of RunMichigan.com or RunningintheUSA.com (which I just did).

Surprisingly, runmichigan doesn't have jack, which led me to halfmarathon.net, which led me here. I suppose I can try that site, I hadn't thought about it. Thanks.

LRB

Thought about just doing Detroit? Or Grand Rapids?

Detroit is introducing a competitive mile race this year a day before the half and marathon. You can double up and run the 5k immediately after it (a challenge called The Temptation), I would like to do that. I was actually going to register for it this morning but thought I'd better check the half marathon schedule first, because doing the mile/5k challenge would eliminate Detroit and Grand Rapids the next day. So here I sit.

LRB

BTW, anyone remember the TV show "In Search Of...", back in the late '70s? Narrated by Leonard Nimoy. I thought that show was awesome when I was a kid.

Of course, that's where the idea came from. I've used it for the dailies a time or two too. 👍

Half Crazy K 2.0

Given the time frame, is there a full scheduled for later in November or December?

onemile

You know my answer!

catwhoorg

Labrat

Silver Comet half marathon down here in GA, October 27th.

Temps are usually cool/cold, but occasionally the weather doesn't co-operate.

Its a rail-trail so definitely flat (for Atlanta, not by say Florida standards)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18