Beginners and Beyond

Beer Recommendations? (Read 77 times)

Love the Half

Someone who is just delving into the craft beer world can easily be overwhelmed.  Worse, you can pick up something like Brooklyn Brewing Black Chocolate Stout or the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA which are incredibly wonderful beers if you have developed a palate for beers that big but completely overwhelming to someone used to the flavorless macrobrews.  My suggestions for a beer noob:

1.  Samuel Adams Boston Lager.  Available everywhere.  Full flavored without being over the top.

2.  Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.  Significantly more bitter than you are used to drinking but, again, not over the top.

3.  Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold.  Fairly easy drinking beer with a medium body.

4.  Wychwood Brewing Hobgoblin Dark English Ale.  Nice dark British beer slightly bitter and slightly roasty.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

robinde

I'm from VT and we have some great micro brewers here.  I love Heady Topper, although it's pretty hard to get.  Switchback is really good too.  I don't know if Long Trail Brewing Co. is considered micro brew, but almost anything they bottle is very good.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen is an awesome German beer but unfortunately I haven't found a good American craft brew that comes close.  This is an awesome summer beer, easy drinking and wonderful banana and cloves flavor.

Belgium ales are a great winter beer.  I like New Belgium's Abbey Ale.  Just the right amount of toasted caramel flavor.  There are many good examples of Belgium brewed ales.

You people have issues 

I was just in Germany before Christmas (get there about once a year) and had a few great beers. Unfortunately none you can get in the States.

My picks for you if you can find them are "Abrasive", "Darkness", "Furious" or "Bender" are from these guys:

Local MN brewer. Really great beers.

Strict WTF adherent

Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen is an awesome German beer but unfortunately I haven't found a good American craft brew that comes close.  This is an awesome summer beer, easy drinking and wonderful banana and cloves flavor.

Belgium ales are a great winter beer.  I like New Belgium's Abbey Ale.  Just the right amount of toasted caramel flavor.  There are many good examples of Belgium brewed ales.

Not a hefeweizen per se, but Langunitas' Little sumpin' sumpin' is worth a try.

I'm also partial to UFO on a hot summer day.

Lots of good belgians out there, but I'd caution OP against going straight to a tripel or quadrupel.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Another tip...find a liquor store with an employee that has a passion for beer.  He will have tried ALL of them.  One guy that I used to buy from saved me from disappointment a couple of times.  He knew if they had gotten in a bad batch of something.  He knew what temperature it would taste best at.  Some beers are better when they aren't ice cold.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Ultra Cowboy

Lots of good belgians out there, but I'd caution OP against going straight to a tripel or quadrupel.

For someone whose idea of beer is an American Adjunct lager like the ones you mentioned , many craft beers are going to seem BIG, in terms of flavor you haven't experienced yet. Lot's of good advice ahead of me here.

Determine if you like Malty beer or Hoppy

Try some dark beers. Start with a black lager like Shiner , and work into a porter.  Black Butte is good.  Guinness is available around the world.  If you like these, you like MALTY beers.

In Lighter colored beers Hefeweizen is the most user friendly.  Widmer and Pyramid .  Look for Blonde ales Stella Artois is pretty available.

not much hops in these.

Test your palate for hops with Deschutes Mirror pond Pale ale (not as intense as Sierra Nevada)  Then try a Lagunitas PILS (pilsner )

Word of warning Craft Beers tend to be higher alcohol.  A couple of Lagunitas Sumptin' Sumptin' will have your cheeks numb after two pints.

If you go to a pup, try lots of Taster flights.  it is about learning what YOU like...I'm still learning but the English, Irish, Scotch and Irish ales seem to be my go to beers .  I'm still trying new and different beers  every week.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Dad on the run.

Has anyone tried beer from Good People Brewing Co.? They are a local brewer right here from B'ham AL. Think I am going to grab some of there stuff next weekend and sit around a table playing Axis and Allies, lol. Beer and a nerd's board game, can't go wrong with that Smile

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Ultra Cowboy

WYBMADIITY

Save

Luke79

I second LTH's recommendation of Sam Adams Boston Lager.  It's sort of a gateway beer to the craft or microbrew world IMO, and my "go to" beer.

Dad on the run.

I do enjoy a Sam Adams. I currently have their Alpine Springs in my fridge. I'm hoping that the package store still has a bottle left of their White Christmas. Really want to try that just hope I don't miss out.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Also a question. The state laws in Alabama regarding beer are apparently kinda strange. What is the typical container used for beer on tap? State law requires that its put into a plastic "milk jug" type container, is that normal?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Jim Tom knows.....

Randy

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Also a question. The state laws in Alabama regarding beer are apparently kinda strange. What is the typical container used for beer on tap? State law requires that its put into a plastic "milk jug" type container, is that normal?

That's not normal.  We use glass jugs called growlers.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Just to clarify the New Belgium Abbey Ale I recommended is a dubbel not a tripel or quadrupel.

You people have issues