Beginners and Beyond

RR - the College Avenue mile (Read 62 times)

music_girl117

This was my first time to try the mile! I’d really been looking forward to this race, as I am more of a speed-oriented runner than a long distance one. After running a 22:53 5k five weeks ago, I decided that a 6:40 mile would be a good solid goal to shoot for; not out of reach, but not a given either. As per the advice of the folks here, I focused on 400s at goal pace. I did a time trial a week ago and got 6:53, and it was godawful by the end; every part of me hurt. But during my final speedwork session earlier this week, I did notice that the 6:40 pace was feeling a bit easier. Not easy, but just a little more relaxed than it had been, and I felt pretty encouraged.

The race was on Saturday night - two loops around some city blocks, and I got to watch a lot of heats before my turn came up. I studied the people in the heats before mine, especially the guys and girls that were in the lead in the really fast heats, and noticed how controlled they looked throughout, as opposed to the people who were coming in to the finish looking like they were about to die. I reminded myself again not to go out too fast!

There were apparently ~300 people signed up, and for those aged 39 and under, the heats were organized by projected finish time. I had seeded myself in the sub-7 group, and there were probably 30 or so people (both guys and girls) in my heat. I was terrified as my heat was approaching! Like, I was actually shaking. Sounds funny, since you know you can finish a mile race, but I knew it was going to be really painful by the end, and I guess just the overall unfamiliarity of the distance was getting to me. I have *never* felt so jittery before a race before, and I figured I’d be fine once we got going, but the waiting was just terrible.

Finally we were off, and I pretty quickly found myself in the back of the pack. For a brief moment I thought “oh god, what if I finish last in my heat?”. Then I shook that thought off and concentrated on locking into my desired pace. In fact, I started passing people almost immediately (first quarter of the race or so). My watch beeped and I looked: 1:38 for the first 400m. Oops, a touch fast, so I tried to slow down *just a little*. My absolute biggest fear for this race was blowing up and having a dramatic slowdown, and I wanted to avoid that at all costs. I missed the second quarter split on my watch, but as I passed the finish line after the first lap the clock there said 3:21 (I think), so I was right about on pace. (It turns out my second 400m split was 1:42, so yes, right on time). And I was feeling all right; the pace was fast but pretty controlled. I felt pretty good in the third quarter too, but when my watch beeped, I saw 1:46 and was really annoyed. 6 seconds off pace is a lot for a 400m split. But on the plus side, I really was feeling a lot better than I expected to (probably because the pace had slowed!), so I felt that I could, and would, pull off a strong last quarter. I quickened my pace for the last quarter and concentrated on holding it. I am not much of a kicker; I normally have nothing left by the finish and am gasping and flailing trying to hold my pace. Not this time. This time I summoned a monster kick and crushed the last ~100m or so. I could see the finish clock and I could tell I was going to be really close to my desired 6:40. I crossed the line at right about 6:40 but was not sure if I clocked 6:40 or not.

It was all over so fast! It was night-and-day difference compared to my time trial – so much smoother and less painful! My watch showed 1:35 for the last 0.39km (total of 1.59 km) –whoa! And 6:41 total. (I finally found out my official time today, Sunday afternoon – 6:39.25!) And then the weirdest thing happened: my throat felt like it was on fire and I started coughing like crazy. I have never had that happen after a 5k or any other race. I would have been concerned about it except for the fact that it was happening to EVERYBODY! It was actually kind of hilarious. I was trying to talk to others who had been in my heat and nobody could get more than a couple words out before succumbing to a loud raspy cough. And weirdly, the race did not have any water available afterwards, so we just had to suffer. So bizarre to go from fine to such a massively sore throat in an instant. Our pollen count was listed as “very high” this evening, so maybe that’s what it was. Even at my late dinner 2 hours later I was still coughing quite a bit.

So, that was it! I had a blast at this race. I felt good enough at the end that I think I maybe could have run a slightly faster time overall, but who knows. Maybe I will look for another mile race for later in the summer. I have no other races/goals for the year other than to get PRs a 5k race in October and an 8k in November. I think I’m going to keep speedwork to a minimum for the rest of June and focus on getting comfortable with a new, slightly higher average # of miles per week. Then for the rest of the summer I’ll grind away at speedwork, and we’ll see what’s what in the fall.

Thanks for reading and for the helpful training advice!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Very good for a first mile race! And yes, a high pollen count can do that, especially because you're probably breathing a lot harder and a lot deeper than typically even in a 5K race.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

music_girl117

Thanks George!  It was so much fun.  I really like the shorter, faster distances.  This was a different mindset; even with a 5k I'm thinking in terms of mile splits, but I had to change my reference frame for this.  In my time trial I had more or less the same pattern in my splits: middle two slower, first and last the fastest.  Not sure how much a few seconds over or under really matter compared to the overall time. ??

PRs:

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Nice race.

I've had the coughing happen once after a 5k. I was ok once I got some coffee. May be worth a try if it ever happens again (or any caffeine).

Docket_Rocket

Awesome!  Great time!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Great job MG!  The mile is super fun, and it looks like you ran a smart one.

B-Plus

Congrats! I ran my first mile race yesterday as well. I had a bit of a sore throat after too!

bluerun

Super B****

Congrats!!  And yes, it's weird how that does seem to happen after every mile race.

I think my mile PR (well, official -- I've since beaten that in a time trial) was probably the most painful race I've ever run.  It's a special kind of hell.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

From the Internet.

Ooh it seems kind of mean to host a mile race in June without providing any water! Great job, great report!

LRB

I was terrified as my heat was approaching! Like, I was actually shaking. Sounds funny, since you know you can finish a mile race, but I knew it was going to be really painful by the end, and I guess just the overall unfamiliarity of the distance was getting to me. I have *never* felt so jittery before a race before, and I figured I’d be fine once we got going, but the waiting was just terrible.

That's called The Moment creeping up on your ass. lol You try not to let it get too big, but with the mile it sometimes seems to have a mind of its own. Luckily, running is the cure for it!

You done really good for your first time out, that is a nice PR for you. You must already be dreaming of something even bigger?

With a VDOT value of 43, this performance gives you equivalent race times of 22:41, 47:04 and 1:44:20 in the distances that matter to us. Do not view them as the ceiling however (because that limits you), treat them as the floor.

PADRunner

Great job!

happylily

Bravo! What an exceptional finish time, and especially for a first time! You have natural speed, young lady.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

That sounds terrible but fun.

<3

music_girl117

Halfcrazy, thanks!  I will have to give a hot beverage a try.  I did go with a milkshake at dinner afterwards and it felt really good.

Docket, Jay, thank you!  I am kinda itching to try another one.

B-Plus, well don't leave us hanging, give us a race report! Smile

bluerun, thanks!  I guess now I know to be ready for the post-mile coughing.

Lauren, right?!  What were they thinking?  Everything was really organized but that seemed like an insane oversight.

LRB, thanks!  Well, my possibly-unrealistic goal over the next few years is to get a sub-20 5k.  I'm not close to a 6:26 5k pace now, but I'm not so far off for one mile.  I'm about an hour outside of New York and am considering taking a whack at a 6:26 at the Fifth Avenue mile in September.  Of course, if I was this nervous for a small local mile race, I'd probably completely freak out trying to do a storied race like that.

PADrunner and happylily, thank you! Smile

Baboon, it was a blast, seriously!  You should try the mile sometime.

Action shot!  This was about halfway through the loop.  In other words, either about 400m or 1200m in.  Not sure:

PRs:

LRB

Action shot!  This was about halfway through the loop.  In other words, either about 400m or 1200m in.  Not sure:

Your tongue is not dragging on the ground, so my guess is 400.