Beginners and Beyond

Sundailies and the west coast people are complaining again (Read 21 times)

Hey! In Portland right now, 6 miles on the hotel treadmill this morning. Missed posting yesterday; ran 15 miles before heading out of town. We went to a “celebration of life” for my BIL who died very suddenly of a heart attack at age 68. A very sad thing—he was living by himself (divorced from my SIL) and his body was found 2 days after he died. But it was a very nice gathering, it really was more of a celebration than anything resembling a funeral. 

61 miles for the week.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

10 today. Rest day yesterday, went to Philly for my aunt's funeral.

DavePNW, was he DW's brother or is SIL her sister? That's rough. I definitely wass at a funeral yesterday. Catholic family (at least on that side), so full Catholic mass. It was under an hour, which seems like some sort of record for the Catholics.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Dave I'm sorry to hear about your BIL. I do like idea of celebrating our loved one's life.

7 miles today.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Docket_Rocket

I am sorry about your BIL.

I have 8 starting now.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Sorry to hear about your bro-in-law, Dave.  I've been to a celebration of life and it is much better than a funeral, as these things go.

<3

delicate flower

I ran 17 miles this morning at a nice 7:17 avg pace.  The entries are broken up in my log into 12 and 5 mile runs, since I did a virtual challenge for January and needed to load an 11.9 mile run to complete the 100 miler.  I ran closer to 200 this month but only loaded the fastest runs to the challenge website.

42 miles for the week, to go along with 95 bike miles and 3 swims.  12.5 hours total for my first official Ironman training week.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

I've been to a celebration of life and it is much better than a funeral, as these things go.

Where does offering to be saved fit into the funeral/celebration of life spectrum? Oddest funeral experience ever. An uncle started off with something very brief about his deceased nephew and then went into a very long story about how he found God and was saved, which ended asking if anyone in attendance wanted to be saved, stand up. Kinda uncomfortable, no one stood.

DavePNW, was he DW's brother or is SIL her sister?

He was DW’s sister’s ex-husband. But they had been married about 30 years with two kids, so he was a part of the family and still close with everyone. He was a really good guy; of all DW’s 6 siblings and their 8 spouses, I was probably closest with him. There were about 100 people there plus another 75 at a similar event in Las Vegas, as he had lived in both places. A good indication of the kind of person he was—no way that many people would show up an anything for me. He was big into sailing, always traveling, and a serious food & wine guy. He truly lived life to its fullest, so the celebration of life was appropriate for him. His daughters (33 & 30) did most of the organizing, they handled things very well and really appreciated everyone being there and remembering him.

Dave

Where does offering to be saved fit into the funeral/celebration of life spectrum? Oddest funeral experience ever. An uncle started off with something very brief about his deceased nephew and then went into a very long story about how he found God and was saved, which ended asking if anyone in attendance wanted to be saved, stand up. Kinda uncomfortable, no one stood.

Yikes.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

He was DW’s sister’s ex-husband. But they had been married about 30 years with two kids, so he was a part of the family and still close with everyone. He was a really good guy; of all DW’s 6 siblings and their 8 spouses, I was probably closest with him. There were about 100 people there plus another 75 at a similar event in Las Vegas, as he had lived in both places. A good indication of the kind of person he was—no way that many people would show up an anything for me. He was big into sailing, always traveling, and a serious food & wine guy. He truly lived life to its fullest, so the celebration of life was appropriate for him. His daughters (33 & 30) did most of the organizing, they handled things very well and really appreciated everyone being there and remembering him.

That sounds like a huge loss for your family. That's a great turn out.

sdWhiskers

I almost started typing out the religious disaster that was my dad's funeral last year, including the fuckhead pastor saying my bro and I are going to hell....but my HR and BP are rising so I won't. We almost walked out. Of my dad's funeral. Not at all what he would have wanted.

sdWhiskers

Sorry for your loss. Glad you could be there for a nice gathering.

sdWhiskers

3 miles + 30 min strength. Smelled gross outside, a big fire just across the border in Mexico. It's a little rainy so AQI is ok.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I almost started typing out the religious disaster that was my dad's funeral last year, including the fuckhead pastor saying my bro and I are going to hell....but my HR and BP are rising so I won't. We almost walked out. Of my dad's funeral. Not at all what he would have wanted.

Omg. That's simply terrible. I'm sorry you were put through that on top of your loss.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Docket_Rocket

Omg. That's simply terrible. I'm sorry you were put through that on top of your loss.

+1

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page