Beginners and Beyond

It's a couple of firsts happy new years DAILIES... (Read 273 times)

Just B.S.

Morning folks!!!  Happy New Year!! It's my first official day of training for Marathon #6

Hubby and I are off soon to do our traditional 13.1 miles around town to celebrate the New Year!

Don't drink so no need to worry about hangovers!LOL

It's 15F but sunny and no wind and with all the snow it should be a beautiful run to start the year.

Dtothe2nd, congrats on the AG award!!

Have a good one.

flarunner

Happy New Year Peeps!

Good runs and workouts to all who have done so.

Did 5 miles underneath clear skies with some fog. Must be the swamp effect.

Go get yourself some coffee and turn on the Rose Parade.

Have a great day everyone!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Happy 2013!

Unfortunately it's URD #4 for me. I somehow hurt my knee on my run on Friday and didn't even feel it til after. I can't run on it right now. Hell I can't even walk up or down stairs. I started doing internet research (I know, not reliable!) and it sounds like the IT band. I guess I should take a sick day from work and go find out for sure Sad

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

...I started doing internet research (I know, not reliable!) and it sounds like the IT band. I guess I should take a sick day from work and go find out for sure Sad

Internet research from credible sources can be a great tool, when put in perspective.  It's the people stating as fact what your problem is that you have to be wary of.

Most however, will simply tell you what it sounds like your problem is, but that you should get it checked out.

runmomto3boys

Flippy: Yay, my little dailies starter!  Happy New Year, hon!  I hope you kill it on that 6-8 miler today.  That's a nice way to kick off the year.

T-Rod: I hope the hangover isn't too bad today!

Basya: I hope the cross-training goes well today.

Coastal: Happy New Year!

Zelanie: 7 today?  Good luck!

JJS: "Year of the Noodle."  Awesome.

D2: What a way to close out a stellar year!  I hope you have a great run today!

LRB: Good morning.

Damaris: 15 miler?  That's a long one.  Good luck!

Stupid: Enjoy the skiing!

April: A run and breakfast sounds like a great way to kick off the year.

Robert: You already got in your run!  Nicely done!

Phil: Enjoy the snowshoeing!

I'm going to run as far as my IT band allows. It is -6 right now and it's going to be cold all day. Hopefully it will be a better run b/c I essentially had yesterday off (only ran 1.5 miles). That seems to be the pattern anyway (one bad day, one good day; repeat).

Tomorrow, when life gets back to normal with my hubby back at work, my plan is to run at the indoor track here as much as I can v. outside, and then if I have to bail (like I've had to, every other day), it will be easy to do. The flatter surface is going to help, I think (I hope) b/c running in the snow seems to aggravate the ITB.

If I could string together two days in a row of decent runs, that would be awesome b/c I haven't been able to yet since this issue flared up.  In the meantime, I'm focusing on actually getting in some miles today. My ultimate goal is to be 100% by 1/14 so I can start training pain-free.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Now that I'm cognizant of the difference between hardwood floors and countertops, I took the liberty of writing a quick race report for last night's run....

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/13202fb1570d4df6a9033866b29ab204/resume#focus

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Robert31320

Team TJ

I'm going to run as far as my IT band allows. It is -6 right now and it's going to be cold all day. Hopefully it will be a better run b/c I essentially had yesterday off (only ran 1.5 miles). That seems to be the pattern anyway. Tomorrow, when life gets back to normal with my hubby back at work, my plan is to run at the indoor track here as much as I can v. outside, and then if I have to bail (like I've had to, every other day), it will be easy to do. The flatter surface is going to help, I think (I hope) b/c running in the snow seems to aggravate the ITB. If I could string together two days in a row of decent runs, that would be awesome.  In the meantime, I'm focusing on actually getting in some miles today. My goal is to be 100% by 1/14 so I can start training pain-free.

You might want to take it easier than normal for a few more days to make sure you can hit your 1/14 goal.  No need to WAY OVERDO IT and really set yourself back for an extended period of time.

Oh yeah, good luck with the -6.  I ran in shorts and a sleeveless shirt this morning before daylight Cool

Running for TJ because he can't.

hog4life

Happy 2013 Dailies!

I'm off to get some of that coffee. It's pouring rain here, I was hoping for 4-5 easy, but it may turn into a RD.

Chairman

Jeez, you people start early.

I am going to run this afternoon. Not sure how far yet.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

runninmomma, are you having ITB issues as well? i know your knee was acting up a few days ago and you went to the doctor for some manipulation, did you eventually find out it's ITBS? I missed a few days of dailies.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

What? No personals? I am disappointed. Sad

runmomto3boys

Sticking to your resolution, I see!  Well done.

Bob: I know, I know, I know...rest would be best and it's essentially what I've been doing every other day.  My mileage is way, way, waaaaaaaaay down from where it ordinarily is.

Beth: Enjoy that informal HM this AM!  What a fun tradition!

Kristin: Ugggh, I am in IT band hell too.  I'm sorry.  It suckssuckssuckssucks.  Yes, initially, my fibular head on my knee was stuck, so he fixed that, said I should run on it and see what it felt like.  I ran on it and it hurt like a mo fo.  I went back the next day, and he said it was definitely an IT band issue.  He could feel scar tissue (grisly....eeeewwww) in the band itself, on the lateral part of my knee. He is sure it's caused by my gait.  I am a neutral pronator, but dynamically, I roll my L knee in when I run.  He ordered an insole that corrects my alignment on the run (he did some laser measuring business for me while I was there).

I have a good day, typically followed by a bad day.  I'm hoping I can string together two good days today and tomorrow so I know I am on the mend.  It is getting better.  Less pain and I can run further each day.

This IT band pain felt different then the tightness/pain I've had in the past, where it was on the upper leg.  This pain was more on the lateral outside of my knee, that 2-3" area primarily.  Anyway, he did ultrasound/shock garbage and sent me on my way w/instructions to roll it like crazy, either ice or heat (he said people respond differently and it depends on you...FWIW, heating seems to be working better for me) during the day, ice after runs, stretch, etc.  I have this DVD that does all this quads/hammies/hip flexor/hips/core work and I am doing that every day b/c afterward, the band feels better.  I'm pretty sure it's the hip stuff (leg lifts, etc.), but who knows.  Anyway, I just typed all that up in case there is a nug in there that helps you.  Us injured folk have to stick together.  Big grin

Flarunner: 6 miles in already?  Nice.

Chairman

What? No personals? I am disappointed. Sad

Maybe later. I need to eat and have some coffee.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Docket_Rocket

Back from my 15 miler at 76% HR.  It was so hot and humid I had to change clothes midrun.  Oh, the Summer is close.  Bah!  Still, an awesome run without albuterol.

The kitty we've been looking for since last night came back home.  My friend told me she has a big gash on her head, so she either got stuck under a bush and slashed her hair to get out, or was attacked by a duck or an opossum.  But at least she is home.

We are supposed to go to the Orange Bowl but my friend did not sleep last night looking for the kitty, so we'll see.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Planned RD for me but I may run a 2-3 miles later day.  Depends on my chores - ugh.  Last day off of work and I have a ton of stuff to do around the house that I have putting off.

Have a great start to the new year everyone.

You can call me Anna