Beginners and Beyond

Time to start another day Penguins its Monday! (Read 29 times)

Dad on the run.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been on this weekend been a pretty busy weekend for me. In a fun way. Got to watch my nephew play t-ball and then some friends of ours has a 5 year old and he plays baseball as well. His is coached pitch. Its amazing seeing the difference in the skill level considering my newphew is 4, that one year really makes a difference.

Mananged to do a little running this weekend. Got 3 miles in Saturday and 2.33 miles in Sunday running week5 day1 with our friends. I figured since its just a run/walk I would wear my Vibrams... probably not the best idea I've ever had. My left calf is still sore.

Oh! Let's jump back to the park, so as my wife and I were leaving four police officers come flying into the park past us and drove over to where ball fields were at. At this point I have no clue what's going on until we run into our friends who were leaving. Apparently there was some shady looking fella bad mouthing the kids that were playing and one of the parents said something to him and he reached back and pulled his shirt up and he had a gun on him. Nick (my friend) saw the gun and yelled out that the guy had a gun at which point the coach grabbed the guy and threatened him if he moved and pretty much held him there until the police showed up. Crazy world we live in...

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

hog4life

Jimmy, thanks for the start, and holy crap at the ball fields!

My RR is up for the Half I did on Saturday. I did a little over 5 miles last night at a really super easy pace, legs were a bit stiff at first but eventually loosened up. Today is the NOBO class, so I'm hoping for 4-5 before class, then maybe 2 more with the class.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

jbj - I remember when my nephews were in little league.  It's amazing to watch them progress.  The oldest one is on a football scholarship now.  Talk about feeling old...lol  I have to say, it takes a certain kind of delta bravo to badmouth kids.  Brandishing a firearm is yet another level of a-hole.  I'm an advocate for concealed carry, but not for everyone.  If this guy actually has a permit, then it should be revoked for that stunt.

AFM - I had a great weekend.  I didn't get my 50 miles this week, but I got 49.89 miles.  I'm going to call it 50.  P3 had her bridal shower this weekend.  So, I had to get out of the house.  I called up an old friend that I hadn't seen in years.  He's going through some struggles, and I took him out for some pizza and beer.  He's a hard worker, and I don't have any doubts that he's going to land on his feet soon.  Then, I went and watched a friends band play.  All in all, Saturday was really fun.  Sunday, they had baptisms at my new church.  I've been going there for probably a couple of months now.  It was absolutely amazing, and inspiring.

No running for me tonight.  I'm taking a rest day, and then I'll be preparing for my first 10K this weekend.  I can't wait.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Mitch - You snuck in on me.  You're not wasting any time, are you?  Getting right back out there and putting miles in the next day is pretty hard core.  Have a great week!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 recovery miles and weights tonight.

jblack, ugh.  What a nightmare.  Glad it sounds like nothing really bad happened.

Mitch, read your RR.  Great job!  Enjoy your run tonight.

Awood, nice mileage.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dad on the run.

Docket - Me too. I'm with Awood, I'm all for concealed carry and all that. I own several guns myself and a permit to carry althought its expired so I can't carry right now Sad but for someone to try a stunt like that just blows my mind...

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Bin Running

Hello from Taiwan.

No chance to run yet. Off to read Mitch RR.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning everyone!!! Jimmy that is really really scary!!!

SRD for me. Monday is usually my total rest today, and it is welcomed with open arms today. My legs are a little sore this morning. I learned a lot about  myself as a runner this weekend. I realized how hard I could actually push myself. I was able to run much faster than I dreamed possible Saturday, and was still able to run a decent race Sunday. And can still walk haha. But if you asked me to run today I'd probably hit you lol.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Penguins!

Jblack - Vibrams will do that I'd your not used to them. Sounds like that guy with the gun is desperate for attention - hopefully the local police gave him some.

Mitch - read your RR , that whiskey hill looks like a killer

Awood  - sounds like you had a busy weekend

Damaris - wishing you cool dry breezes for your run today !

Bin - hope you have good times on your vacation

Kristin - good job on your "Scotty style" weekend!

As for me I finished last week with 32 miles. Today is my only scheduled rest day of the week - I feel fresh and would like to run, but I guess it's better to be wanting more than being tired . Definitely a big fan of running 6 days a week as I do believe it helps training as well as recovery.

I wound up hanging a French door this weekend and it came out quite well - it actually opens and closes without sticking. I did have to fit it to the existing opening and had to plane one side down. My wife took on the job of removing outdoor carpet from the front porch. It's been an eyesore that is no more!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Philliefan33

Happy Monday everyone.  The weather is going to be nice here -- too bad I have to work.  I'd even prefer to stay home and do yard work, but I don't get paid for that.

Three weeks until my HM.  I plan to get ~35 miles this week with a LR of 12-13,  then about 28 miles the next week, then about 20 miles in the week leading up to the HM.  Does this sound like a reasonable taper?

I wish I had gotten my mileage up a little more and been more consistent with the speed work, but my body just wasn't ready.  I've done seven long runs of 10 miles or more, a couple at ~12 miles...I hope that's enough.  At least I know that as long as I finish it will be an automatic PR.

Zelanie

Hello everyone!  Resting today, of course, and really trying to imagine my body healing up and getting stronger!

Jimmy- How scary!  Glad everyone was OK!

Mitch- Love to read about how well you are recovering from your races!  Nice job!

Awood- I think rounding up is reasonable.  Congrats on the 50!

D- Enjoy the recovery run!

Bin- Hope you're having a great time in Taiwan!

kristin- I am so happy that your back to back racing weekend went so well!  That's a tough stunt to pull off, especially since you were racing at close to your max distance for running.   Impressive!

Gustav- Good job on the home improvement!

Margo- I think you'll be fine.  Your LRs are in the range of the race, and your training has been consistent.  The coach for our local HM training group just sent out an email regarding taper for race week.  Basically, the first half of the week, she wants us to run the same days we normally run, but only about 75% of the distance.  So if we normally run for 45 minutes, she wants us to run 30.  The last 3 days before the race, she wants us to run nothing over 30 minutes, with at least one day completely off.  And we can put some strides into the runs if we want.

I think the trick is, even if our training hasn't been all that we'd hoped for, we still wouldn't be gaining anything by running too much on race week.  We still need time to recover from the training that we have done.

Hope that everyone has a good Monday!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Saturday was our show for chorus, and we had a wonderful time!!  Lots of good singing, lots of corny jokes, and the audience seemed to enjoy it as well.  Standing ovation!!  And the singing continues -- our quartet is singing for the chorus' Friends and Family Night tonight, so I have my costume and makeup here at the lab.  DH is coming down to hear us, which will be all kinds of fun.  Then quartet rehearsal tomorrow night, and Thursday we head down to Winston-Salem!  Quartet competition is Friday, chorus competition is Saturday, and then Sunday we come back exhausted!!  It'll be all kinds of fun, woo-hoo!!

Running, you say?  I don't run, I sing!  Approve

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

JBJ: WOW!

I don't have a lot of time, but it's a SRD for me. Thanks for the nice comments on my 5k RR. Believe me, they mean a lot and help to keep me motivated. It's less than three weeks for the HM so I am already getting antsy! Have a good day, Pens.

hey friends-

I got in 7 this am.

This past saturday I got in a race/training run. 15.5 miles of trails. lots of rocks, lots of ups and downs, enough mud to suck. overall wasnt bad. I never could find a groove though. I was a chicken most of the time and I was running for my sister for 1 loop of her first ultra. I am slow so she was guaranteed a negative spilt. we were 3:50 for the first lap and then she was 3:07 the 2nd lap. The first hour was in the dark, so that was

fun/cool but super slow.

Sunday we had my daughter baptized and got to see a bunch of family. So it was a great weekend.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas