Beginners and Beyond

Yep its TuesDAILIES (Read 37 times)

sdWhiskers

I kind of look at it the same way... like, I know that it's a downhill course and it gives me an edge, but in my head, if I can run X on a course like that, it's not outside of the realm of possibility that I can run a similar time on another course.  It's a completely mental thing, but since ATM I feel like I am never going to PR in anything ever again, I will take it any way I can get it.

Exactly! I never thought I'd even get close to a 2 hour HM. Running 1:55 (with an asterisk) makes me believe it is possible someday on a legit course.

delicate flower

I have a tapering question.  My full is in 2 weeks.  I think I'd like to have 2 rest days next week leading up to the race.  Is it better to do them 2 days in a row or split them up with a run in between?  So, take Tuesday and Thursday as RD or Wednesday and Thursday?  I do plan a short run on Friday the day before the race.

I wouldn't want to go two straight days of rest.  I vote Tuesday/Thursday.

<3

Docket_Rocket

I wouldn't want to go two straight days of rest.  I vote Tuesday/Thursday.

+1

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I have a tapering question.  My full is in 2 weeks.  I think I'd like to have 2 rest days next week leading up to the race.  Is it better to do them 2 days in a row or split them up with a run in between?  So, take Tuesday and Thursday as RD or Wednesday and Thursday?  I do plan a short run on Friday the day before the race.

My legs feel pretty stale if I have consecutive days off. Unless that type of schedule is something you are used to from your training, I would think splitting your rest up would be the better option.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

KCRuns

Tuesday & Thursday it is.  Thank you, Baboon, Dockett & SIAR!

delicate flower

Tuesday & Thursday it is.  Thank you, Baboon, Dockett & SIAR!

We are here to help.  Let us know if you want help selecting your next bunch of races.  We can do that too.

<3

+another 1 to the split up rest days KC.  I'm so excited to hear how the marathon goes!

Jay, on the I v. R pace thing--I was really scared of the R pace, and I swear, I've left speed on the table because of it.  You are super smart to be racing 5ks somewhat regularly, because you can adjust paces as appropriate.  I think I got faster over the course of this past cycle, but didn't adjust paces as I went along, and ended up taking it too easy on myself.  The past couple weeks I've said screw the pace, and just run the intervals as fast as I can (while keeping the last one as fast as the first one), and let the chips fall where they may.  I'll need a month or two to see how it's working, but so far, I'm not hurt, so that's good.  I suppose I could go race something, but that sounds hard.  But this is one of the reasons I'm thinking about a coach, so someone will time trial or fitness test my ass and help me adjust this stuff so I'm progressing instead of stagnating.

7 easy this morning.

LRB

+another 1 to the split up rest days KC.  I'm so excited to hear how the marathon goes!

Jay, on the I v. R pace thing--I was really scared of the I pace, and I swear, I've left speed on the table because of it.  You are super smart to be racing 5ks somewhat regularly, because you can adjust paces as appropriate.  I think I got faster over the course of this past cycle, but didn't adjust paces as I went along, and ended up taking it too easy on myself.  The past couple weeks I've said screw the pace, and just run the intervals as fast as I can (while keeping the last one as fast as the first one), and let the chips fall where they may.  I'll need a month or two to see how it's working, but so far, I'm not hurt, so that's good.  I suppose I could go race something, but that sounds hard.  But this is one of the reasons I'm thinking about a coach, so someone will time trial or fitness test my ass and help me adjust this stuff so I'm progressing instead of stagnating.

7 easy this morning.

I used race results to dictate my training paces and adjusted them accordingly each time. I trained across the pace/intensity spectrum regularly and found them palatable due to the correlation between distance and speed. That is, 400m "R" pace intervals, 1000m intervals at VO2 max (5k ish), 1200m to a mile at Tempo (10k ish) and obviously miles at MP. When viewed through that lense, they all are one in the same...unless they're not. Big grin

I used race results to dictate my training paces and adjusted them accordingly each time. I trained across the pace/intensity spectrum regularly and found them palatable due to the correlation between distance and speed. That is, 400m "R" pace intervals, 1000m intervals at VO2 max (5k ish), 1200m to a mile at Tempo (10k ish) and obviously miles at MP. When viewed through that lense, they all are one in the same...unless they're not. Big grin

That's 100% how it should be done.  My problem is I hardly ever race, so a long cycle without a mid-cycle fitness check means I just keep doing the same shit without ever upping the paces to account for increased fitness.  I've stopped seeing much improvement, and I think that's part of the reason.  Or I'm lazy.  Or old.  Those are also possibilities.

KCRuns

We are here to help.  Let us know if you want help selecting your next bunch of races.  We can do that too.

Very soon, I will be on the lookout for both a 2019 spring marathon and half marathon, preferably April and/or early May.  Within 4-5 hours driving distance of Chicago (could do March if I'm driving south).  Last year, I did the Illinois Marathon in Champaign and this year will be the Starved Rock Marathon in Ottawa.  Other than that, I've done Chicago twice (& will do again this year), so it's pretty wide open on marathons I haven't done yet.  I've done lots of halfs around Chicago (mostly downtown ones), the Nashville Half and the Flying Pig Half (favorite so far).  I am considering the Flying Pig Full next year as a fallback plan, but I kind of want to try something new.

I did enter the lottery yesterday for London 2019, but I understand that's a very long shot of actually getting picked and won't know until October if I get lucky enough to get in.

LRB

That's 100% how it should be done.  My problem is I hardly ever race, so a long cycle without a mid-cycle fitness check means I just keep doing the same shit without ever upping the paces to account for increased fitness.  I've stopped seeing much improvement, and I think that's part of the reason.  Or I'm lazy.  Or old.  Those are also possibilities.

A 12 minute time trial would suffice, or if that's too dauting, 1 mile all out.

Very soon, I will be on the lookout for both a 2019 spring marathon and half marathon, preferably April and/or early May.  Within 4-5 hours driving distance of Chicago (could do March if I'm driving south).  Last year, I did the Illinois Marathon in Champaign and this year will be the Starved Rock Marathon in Ottawa.  Other than that, I've done Chicago twice (& will do again this year), so it's pretty wide open on marathons I haven't done yet.  I've done lots of halfs around Chicago (mostly downtown ones), the Nashville Half and the Flying Pig Half (favorite so far).  I am considering the Flying Pig Full next year as a fallback plan, but I kind of want to try something new.

Onemile will chime in with Wisconsin options, but will also add how much she despises spring marathons.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

After a while you should get a sense of the effort expended at each pace. When I don't race for a long time I run the first interval by effort, then try to match that pace for the remaining intervals. Of course that assumes you normally can and do run all the intervals in a given set at the same pace.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

KCRuns

Onemile will chime in with Wisconsin options, but will also add how much she despises spring marathons.

I much prefer running a spring marathon in cooler temps than the Chicago marathon, which has been hot both years I've run it.  But I understand despising training for a spring marathon because you have to deal with winter.  However, training for one helps keep me motivated throughout the holidays and winter so I don't get lazy and fat.

Half Crazy K 2.0

KC, or anyone else, have you ever run the Chicagoland half or full? DH didn't seem to like my idea of extending his business trip in 2 weeks, but maybe I can convince him next year.