Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: KSAT Head For The Cure 5K (Read 9 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Posted:  Sep 26, 2015

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 47th race of 2015 and the first of two races I was doing for the weekend of Sep 26 - Sep 27.  Held this year on Sep 26, 2015, Head for the Cure 5K was established locally in 2014 by local TV Station KSAT, Channel 13 (local ABC affiliate), in honor of their news director, Jim Boyle who died of brain cancer.  Affiliated with the Head for the Cure Foundation which has this 5K at several cities around the country, this event raises money to help find a cure for brain cancer.   The first year in San Antonio there were about 1,000 participants.  This year it increased a bit, with 1200 or so participants.  I ended up with a finish time of 31:57 and was still 5th in my age group (60 - 64).  Some speedy old farts in my age group, lol.

BEFORE THE START

I arrived with about an hour to go before start time - which was nice, I good parking.  It was still a bit dark outside but I wandered around anyway and got a few pre-start photos.

Race location:  Providence High School on St. Mary's Street

photo 004_zpsaxxspjiu.jpg

The front of the school where the start and finish was

photo 005_zpsapjufhft.jpg

Welcome to Head for the Cure

photo 006_zpsemcsv7xj.jpg

A local Scout Master and some of his troop.  The Scouts were volunteers and out on the course cheering everyone one, handing out water, directing runners on the route, etc.

photo 001_zpseqkwbvle.jpg

photo 007_zpsdj1xonju.jpg

Folks from Run Wild local running specialty store, owned by my good friends Catherine and her dog, Emma (yes, I consider the dog an owner too; she practically 'runs' the place..literally  )  Emma and Cat were not here today, but I can assure you, Cat, your folks were actually working and doing great. 

photo 002_zpsapubzjar.jpg

Gentleman on the left was our MC and on the right one of the band that provided us live music.

photo 011_zpsodcpmwuw.jpg

This gentleman was the lead pace bike guy

photo 023_zpseglnzvcz.jpg

Some of the volunteers, participants, supporters, etc

photo 003_zps5prsjixy.jpg

photo 008_zpsudhalwnx.jpg

photo 010_zpswfsraaxu.jpg

photo 012_zpsiglpjoic.jpg

After it started getting lighter, it was easier for my old eyes to actually see my photo subjects. 

photo 013_zpsshsaxrv8.jpg

photo 014_zpsy4hizw2m.jpg

photo 015_zpspnjdzqtv.jpg

photo 016_zpstm6s5sh6.jpg

Super Scottydog joins the group.  My superpower:  I'm super slow.... 

photo 017_zpsgzqj2xev.jpg

photo 018_zpsfg3mw2ef.jpg

photo 019_zpsnjpct7a7.jpg

photo 020_zps3qsxggcb.jpg

photo 021_zpsut92mxxy.jpg

photo 022_zps8a601upr.jpg

photo 024_zps471jtos3.jpg

photo 025_zpsl4xw7jql.jpg

photo 026_zpshnlj7koe.jpg

photo 027_zpsdgck0vot.jpg

photo 028_zpsjkpvh2b2.jpg

photo 029_zps9o4dbzji.jpg

photo 031_zpsbvj5tgx7.jpg

photo 032_zpspn2l2jho.jpg

Getting ready to go.   Very sunny day...but the weather was very cooperative..about 69 degrees at 8 a.m. start time, low humidity and low dew-point; you could actually feel the 'cool' in the air...sweeet!

photo 033_zpsrfd9xv8h.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We started on a driveway in front of the school, went down to St. Mary's Street, made a right turn, and then did a 2-loop course on very flat streets - not a hill in sight! - finishing the on our second loop by going up the driveway and across the finish line timing mats.  Of course, it being two loops, on the start of my second loop the guy who won the 5K was already finishing up his second loop and lapped me on his way to a 17-something minute finish, sheesh.

photo 034_zps1r4oh2ne.jpg

photo 035_zpsmgaeosma.jpg

photo 036_zpst8wb3n7l.jpg

On the route, playing for all the runners and walkers passing by

photo 037_zpsasefqriq.jpg

photo 038_zpsnjlugebo.jpg

photo 039_zpsnw6lrjsq.jpg

photo 040_zps6akuy10g.jpg

photo 041_zpszx3otgst.jpg

photo 042_zpskp9tdfnx.jpg

photo 043_zps63xtct5c.jpg

photo 044_zpsq9tjwqg7.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

"Happy Finishers", supporters, volunteers, etc...  and a good time seemed to be had by all!   There were Age Group awards but this year all finishers also got a souvenir medal

photo 046_zpsjdbmaw8d.jpg

photo 047_zpsaw7ktifj.jpg

photo 048_zpsy4hkaqjo.jpg

photo 049_zpssecz0y4v.jpg

photo 050_zpsv3pyqzba.jpg

photo 051_zpsikxljhb1.jpg

photo 052_zpsopfundah.jpg

photo 053_zpscbgv5bvg.jpg

photo 054_zpseghgvgri.jpg

photo 055_zpsjntxtxeu.jpg

photo 056_zpsfac9cuqr.jpg

photo 057_zpsmgizxezi.jpg

photo 058_zps44my41av.jpg

KSAT was on-site doing various interviews, etc, and I got a photo with the lovely Myra Arthur, one of their news reporters

photo 059_zps4szc21bp.jpg

photo 060_zpsqbracvyc.jpg

photo 061_zpslnrpygab.jpg

photo 062_zpsmnowppa6.jpg

photo 063_zpskgcfamhi.jpg

photo 064_zpsuztwohty.jpg

photo 065_zpshj0w95yz.jpg

photo 066_zpsdvcieept.jpg

photo 067_zpskrhvu32r.jpg

photo 068_zpss3j1zogv.jpg

photo 069_zpswelctfdf.jpg

These 'characters' were at the finish line handing out medals

photo 070_zps3m28uvzk.jpg

Little Superman has got "attitude"!  He cracked me up, lol.  Looking strong there, buddy!

photo 071_zpsp43ltxbj.jpg

photo 072_zpsodhy7fni.jpg

photo 073_zpsimv5oiyk.jpg

A man and his dog....it figures, doesn't it, I only remember the dog's name, lol - Charlie, short for Charlotte.

photo 074_zpspzkbqbss.jpg

photo 075_zps5f8t7rjx.jpg

photo 076_zpsg9raz5pg.jpg

photo 077_zpsivjkehzg.jpg

photo 078_zpspagxvjcn.jpg

This team was so large I took several photos of them with my 'non-wide lens' camera to get them all in

photo 086_zps6uquiysz.jpg

photo 079_zpsxaecppyr.jpg

photo 080_zpsufffizta.jpg

photo 081_zps1xs5mgpk.jpg

photo 085_zpsqdjl4x7c.jpg

photo 090_zpsibqx2ocn.jpg

photo 083_zpsgy8rxco9.jpg

photo 084_zpssaiobsyj.jpg

photo 087_zpsoreffyd6.jpg

photo 088_zpspzdgugpa.jpg

The EMTs that were out there for us

photo 089_zpsqx4nhqeg.jpg

EPILOG

This is my 2nd year in a row for doing this event, - so I've done them all so far!  -  so now that I'm on a 'streak" I guess I will have to do all the future ones too, to keep my streak going.  Very nicely organized event and lots of ongoing activity - live music, all kinds of vendor booths, nice post-race sausage wraps (but, what, no cold beer to go with the wraps? ), lots of folks in costume, and lots of teams there running or walking in honor of someone.  KSAT puts on a good race, this one is definitely a fun event with a very worthwhile cause. And the course is SO darn flat, good course to shoot for a 5K PR for runners so inclined.  Definitely would recommend this to my fellow runners and walkers.   Much thanks to the organizers, sponsors, vendors, volunteers, law enforcement, EMTs, etc...all the folks who all made this one possible for we participants.

Next up for me:  Siclovia 5K on Sep 27, 2015.   I might have to take a nap today and rest up. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt