Beginners and Beyond

Good riddance! (the penny) (Read 186 times)

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

As of today, the Royal Canadian Mint has started to phase out the penny Smile.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Village people

It will liive on. I have piles of them at my house.

Chairman

It's a shame the we haven't gotten rid of that dumb coin yet here in the USA. Oh, how I loathe those useless coins clogging up my drawers and pockets.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

sirdizzy

It's a shame the we haven't gotten rid of that dumb coin yet here in the USA. Oh, how I loathe those useless coins clogging up my drawers and pockets.

Send em to me I'll take em off your hands Smile

kaleidoscopeEyes

LOL.  Did you see the instructional graphics about the subsequent rounding system?

I don't know about Canada, but if this happened in the US, the min wage teenage cashiers who ALREADY don't know how to make change are going to end up breaking their brains.  They're gonna have cerebral meltdowns and seize out right there at the counter in front of your horrified eyes.

I can also see scenarios in which people get offended about their change being rounded down.  "You only gave me back a nickel, but you owe me 7 cents!  I guess this is what happens in Obama's America!"  AND/OR, "You only gave me back a nickel, but you owe me 7 cents!  Koreans/Arabs/Indians/Jews/Italians/Mexicans/Russians are all crooks!"

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Bring back the half cent coin!

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

I don't know about Canada, but if this happened in the US, the min wage teenage cashiers who ALREADY don't know how to make change are going to end up breaking their brains.  They're gonna have cerebral meltdowns and seize out right there at the counter in front of your horrified eyes.

Ain't it the truth!  Give a cashier $23.03 for a bill of $17.78 expecting $5.25 back.  Why?  Maybe you have a ton of singles or you need a five dollar bill.  Whatever the case, if you are not careful the cashier will get so screwed up till you won't even know what the hell you did!

Those are the times when you just say you know what?  Give me back what I gave you, take this twenty, give me $2.22, and let's all go home!

kaleidoscopeEyes

Ain't it the truth!  Give a cashier $23.03 for a bill of $17.78 expecting $5.25 back.  Why?  Maybe you have a ton of singles or you need a five dollar bill.  Whatever the case, if you are not careful the cashier will get so screwed up till you won't even know what the hell you did!

Those are the times when you just say you know what?  Give me back what I gave you, take this twenty, give me $2.22, and let's all go home!

Bahahaha.  Their confusion & panic is heartbreaking, and, if I'm in a good mood, somewhat endearing.

You Rang?

All forms of cash are awfully expensive to produce.  Maybe we should get rid of cash.  Smile

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

MrNamtor

All forms of cash are awfully expensive to produce.  Maybe we should get rid of cash.  Smile

Yes, even Adam Smith criticized coinage as a medium for exchange. For a different reason, but still.

MrNamtor

Bring back the half cent coin!

Have a few of these in my coin collection.

MrNamtor

One time in a store my bill was like $15.10, i gave the cashier $16 and she started to give me 90 cents change.

Then i found a dime and said, Oh, here you go. She said "sorry, I already rang it up". Yeah. That's extreme.

yeoldefatguy

I used to go through drive thrus and pay with intentionally odd amounts of money. Order came to $5.83? Give them $10.19 to see if they could figure it out.

One of the greatest clerk meltdowns I have ever witnessed was when a Canadian gentlemen in line at a local taco place asked if they accepted Canadian money.  After consulting the manager, the young clerk affirmed that they did.

The customer handed over a 5 and a couple dollar coins (Loonies).  Absolute befuddlement ensued.  "No, they're not quarters, they're dollars."  "But they're coins".  "Yes, dollar coins, look at them!"  ... and on and on.  It was so hilarious that I didn't even get upset about having to wait.

They're gonna have cerebral meltdowns and seize out right there at the counter in front of your horrified eyes.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

When's the last time the clerk counted back your change instead of shoving it at you in a wad?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.