Beginners and Beyond

Hot Fun in the Summertime SaturDailies (Read 57 times)

YAYpril - B-Plus

Hi! 6 snow packed miles for me this morning. It was cold. I wore unlined pants and my thighs went numb. Oops.

I'm thinking about doing Pfitz 18/55 for my first marathon in September. The superstructure kind of freaks me out, but I don't want my first marathon to be a miserable experience. I have time to mull it over I guess.

BruceD555

StepbyStep-SH - Glad your son is feeling better & your morning sounds like my wife's favorite way to spend a Saturday morning. Hope you get in a great run this evening!

So_Im_a_Runner - You're logging some serious miles lately- Great job! Glad your group run was a good one. I agree that time tends to fly by when I'm running with someone. The only downside for me is when we start subconsciously racing each other and end up running faster than what I had planned.There's a couple of guys I run with regularly and it turns out we'll be running side by side and before we know it we're running 1 mm faster pace still having a conversation. Next race on tap for me is the Illinois marathon (4/27) though I'll have a few 10k tune-ups in before that.

Just B.S. - WOW, that's some serious pool time today. Enjoy that nap - you earned it!

Zelanie - Great to hear you're back into your groove. Enjoy your daughter's birthday and it sounds like you enjoy baking! I do as well but cheesecakes are my gig. Too funny about your Pfitz goal note and your DH's response.

AprilRunner - You snuck in there on me. Good job on the cold 6 in spite of the cold legs. I'm doing Pfitz 18/70 right now in preparation for my 3rd marathon. It is structured but that's just the way I like it. Each run has a specific purpose that fits into a week with an intentional purpose. For me ... as an engineer .. that just makes a whole lot of sense.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

My 15k got canceled due to the weather, so I went and did 9 miles on the trail in the snow, great run!!

They're still having the after party, since it was already paid for, so I'm gonna get cleaned up and go get some lunch/beer, be back later!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

runmomto3boys

Recovery run: 9.4 miles in at 9:04 pace.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Bruce...cool, my marathon is the same weekend (Toledo). I'm hoping to do a 10k tuneup and if I can find a 5k in the next couple weeks probably that too. I'm also going to pace a half at my MP a couple weeks out. I figured that would be your down side to the group runs. That's why I am glad I've made friends with more of the 8:30 crowd...even if they start to push I'm well within my paces. Are you feeling confident about your 3:30 goal?

April...good work on the cold miles. I was surprised to find that I enjoy having all of my runs scheduled. The only thing I do is just take the week as a 7 day block, trying to do all 7 runs regardless of the order. I think that takes some of the pressure off.

RMT3b...beautifully executed recovery run! Proud of ya.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LRB

I was really hoping for perfect conditions for today's run.  But like our crew member Rob has in his siggy; if you wait for perfect conditions, nothing will ever get done.

So I put on my Nike Shields, changed the wrist band on my garmin so it would fit around my jacket, put on my big boy drauz and I went out there and got that shit done!

1-8:53

2-7:32

3-8:40

4-7:33

5-8:58

6-7:41

7-9:06

8-7:34

Mile 6 was a bitch!  Run entirely into a stiff wind and I really wanted to stop, no I wanted to cry, I wanted to take up knitting, I wanted to start a glee club at work, I wanted join the fuckin Cub Scouts.  I wanted to do everything except finish that interval....and that was all in the first tenth of the mile!

But I put my head down, didn't look at my watch, and dug deep.

Mile 8 was death!  Spit was flying everywhere, my lips were white, my nose was running, my arms were flailing all about, my breathing was labored and loud.  People were turning around because they could hear me gagging!

But I did what us runners do, I spanked dat ass!

8.32 miles total 1:09:04

And the only reason it was .32, is because my doorstep wasn't at .25 lol!

3.1 miles using my garmin for the first time.......I must have been really geared up and ran faster than normal or that Iphone app i was using was not very accurate.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

A cool start this morning, but not as cold as it could have been!

10 miles completed, 9:13 overall pace with pretty even splits. The 5 miles I ran into the wind were a few seconds slower than the 5 I ran with the wind at my back.

It's my first double-digits run this year. Felt good to get some mileage done for a change.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

BruceD555

Dtothe2nd - Bummer on the cancellation but kudos on running the trail anyway! Enjoy the post-race!

runmomto3boys - Good job on the recover 9+ and you even managed to go slow! You sound like you're doing awesome this training cycle and feeling stronger all the time. You're gonna kill your next race!

So_Im_a_Runner - I'd like to hit 3:3x at Illinois (prob x=5) with my real 3:30 race this fall in Milwaukee (if the weather cooperates) I'm feeling great thus far into the training cycle and being careful to avoid injury. The real test will come once we get some decent weather and I can run unencumbered by the extra clothes & slippery roads.

LRB - Rock on! Great job on digging deep to run in lousy conditions and I completely understand the "and not one step more" mentality when you reach home after bucking a freezing wind.

Sparker1606 - Good 5k there!! My Garmin is spot on .. .except when running the IMM in downtown Indy with the tall buildings & tunnels.

RunTomRun - Awesome job on the double digit run today! At least it was a warm wind, right?

Got in my recovery 6 ... a bit faster than planned but it was in a -5 wind chill - who wants to run slow and spend more time in that?

Train smart ... race smarter.

10 breezy miles.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Bruce and SIAR, thanks for the input. SIAR, excellent point about the 7-day block. I will definitely keep that in mind. Smile

LRB, Tom, Sparker, Fuzzy, great runs!

Zelanie

Bruce- Cheesecakes- yum!  The only one I regularly do is sort of cheating because it's a peanut butter one that isn't baked.  It's good, though!  I have no idea what DH was doing looking through my Pfitz book, anyway.

LRB- Nice job getting that run DONE!

Sparker- Hoping it was the app and that you're faster than you thought!

Weezer88

LR today with group - 19.53 miles in 2:45.  The last 6 were a struggle as the water/Nuun mix in my flasks froze and I had no hydration.  I REALLY wish the spring weather would get here soon

I AM WEEZER.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

LRB, sounds like a tough run.

Great job, everybody.  I just hit the top of my foot with a heavy remote and am icing because I am hoping it's not broken.  Joy.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page