Beginners and Beyond

The never-ending search for a new running watch...insert <sigh> here... (Read 47 times)

LRB

Also for the OP - if you haven't already discovered DCRainmaker, that is the place to go for product reviews. Maybe not at the start if you are already overwhelmed by the options, but once you've narrowed it down a bit. His reviews are thorough to the point of exhaustion.

That's a great way to put it.

Coastal

That's a great way to put it.

To put it mildly.

zzyzx

If I were an Apple customer I'd look into the Apple Watch 3. As a bonus it now has an electronic SIM in sync with your iPhone, that you don't have to bring. Or so I hear. But I am not. Neither are you.

I'm also into higher end Garmins. I currently wear a Fenix 3. The plus side of the Fenix, other than it's high end Garmin electronics, is that it looks good, and I wear it as an every day watch.

Doesn't help you, though.

I just got the Apple Watch 3 and I'm enjoying it. The only annoying thing is that the first .1 mile or so of my run, the music can have a bit of a freak out as it loses the iPhone (sitting at home) and gets confused. Then it plays smoothly after that.

LM, great in-depth review – thanks so much!  Actually the 230 and the 235 were the ones that piqued my interest.

Docket, good to see you’re still happy with the TomTom and that it’s been consistent.  Do you have the +Music version?  If so, do you find the inability to shuffle your playlist annoying?

Dave, DCRainmaker is exhausting, but I appreciate his reviews. He is SO thorough, but it’s good because everyone’s idea of “can’t live without” features is different, and he covers them all!

I’m also liking the look of the Fitbit Ionic, which has just recently launched, and it does have a built-in music player.  I’m just a little hesitant with something sooo new, like it’s probably a bit buggy.

Thanks again, guys!  I appreciate the time you’re taking to help me out!

Docket_Rocket

LM, great in-depth review – thanks so much!  Actually the 230 and the 235 were the ones that piqued my interest.

Docket, good to see you’re still happy with the TomTom and that it’s been consistent.  Do you have the +Music version?  If so, do you find the inability to shuffle your playlist annoying?

Dave, DCRainmaker is exhausting, but I appreciate his reviews. He is SO thorough, but it’s good because everyone’s idea of “can’t live without” features is different, and he covers them all!

I’m also liking the look of the Fitbit Ionic, which has just recently launched, and it does have a built-in music player.  I’m just a little hesitant with something sooo new, like it’s probably a bit buggy.

Thanks again, guys!  I appreciate the time you’re taking to help me out!

I have both, the original TomTom and the Spark 1 (I think now most if not all of their watches come with the music capability, but don't know for sure).  I don't use the music often since I stopped wearing the wireless headphones due to lack of hours of play, but since I have a specific playlist for marathons, it didn't bother me a bit about the shuffle.  You can restart the playlist at any time and all and I thought you could shuffle but once (at the beginning).  Not sure if the Spark 2 has improved on that.  It's hard when you only have two buttons to play music, run, etc., with any GPS that does that, though.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

ChristineO

I too - had the MOTACTV, and loved it! Just earlier this year it finally died and I had to replace it. I had been searching and searching to find something similar, and it's impossible.  I ended up with a Garmin 230 and an Ipod Shuffle. I opted for the 230, as in the winter (Minnesota - very cold), I wear my watch over my jacket and the heart rate monitor would be useless.  It took a few months to get used to a different system, and I desperately missed many of the features of the MOTACTV.  In the summer, I will clip the Ipod Shuffle to my tank top strap (by my neck) and this is what I did with the MOTACTV in the summer too.  During the winter, I strap the watch on the outside of my jacket and clip the shuffle to the wrist band of the Garmin (running the cord up my sleeve).  The Ipod Shuffle doesn't support wireless headphones.

I miss hearing info via headphones like the MOTOACTV did.  I miss tapping the screen to hear info. Miss MOTOACTV was my friend! I miss the touch screen. But, I'm happy to say I finally got used to the Garmin and am now very happy with it.  And, dealing with the MOTOACTV website was getting very tiring. The Garmin easily transfers to STRAVA and I LOVE that!