Beginners and Beyond

Chicago Marathon Race Report-sort of (Read 111 times)

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Congrats on your PR!

Love the Half

Every race is a learning experience and it sounds like you have paid attention to what you learned in this race.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

workinprogress11

Thanks all!  I appreciate your kind words and I am starting to see more of the positive and am taking the negative as incentive to do better in the future.

Kiwi, my goal is to eventually BQ, of course, but I don't know if the next cycle will get me there or if it will take another 2 or 3 cycles. However long it takes, I will keep working at it as long as my body is willing and able.

Lilly, I really wish we had met too!  Since you admitted to stalking me, I will admit to stalking you. You ran an amazing time coming back from your injuries. Do you have a race report up that I missed?

I don't want to get all gushy, but I would not even be in the neighborhood of a BQ if its wasn't for the support and great information I get from this forum and RWOL forums.  I would have never imagined it was something possible for me so wouldn't have put in the work to get where I am.  I don't post a ton, but I read everything and learn as much as I can so thank you all for that.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Holy mackerel, congrats on a huge PR! 11 minutes! Chicago sounds like a fun race, but I can understand how frustrated it can be not to have your Garmin until the fourth mile. You really have to just trust your own pacing.

- Andrew

delicate flower

It is only natural for us to think of what we can do better next time, and that is a good thing.  Obviously you are doing a whole lot of things right based on your AG and gender placements.  Congrats on the B goal, the PR, and FE with DR.  Smile   Great job!

<3

Ric-G

you did great and your doubts will fade...you will learn whatever is needed and build on it...congrats and good luck on the future bq!

marathon pr - 3:16

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

As others said before me, not self indulgent at all!  Congrats on your PR and on your marathon!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Pinktastic

Way to go!   An 11 minute PR in any event is HUGE, but it's even more impressive in the marathon, IMHO.    I enjoyed your good / bad RR - it was very easy to read.    I hope that you'll be posting some pics soon - I'd love to see them!   Congrats on a Pinktacular race and good luck in your future races!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

outoftheblue

Congrats on the huge PR and on holding it together as well as you did after mile 16.   Excellent work!

Life is good.

Congrats on the PR!

Self-indulgent?  Looked like a clear, concise RR to me.  Great job, and good luck on the BQ goal.

StepbyStep-SH

Congrats on the big PR and goal achieved! We can all pick apart races and come up with "coulda-shoulda-woulda," but the end result, and having fun along the way, are what matter most. Well done!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

congrats on the PR - Chicago is a great city to run and visit!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Why is it so easy to get in our heads way too much before a race?  There has to be a way to avoid that struggle.  Sounds like a great FE before the race - what a fun surprise.  And, way to be low key about a huge PR!  That was awesome.  And you're right, that BQ isn't far away at all.  I'm sure the positive split didn't feel great, but that really wasn't that big of one.  A little more discipline with your pacing and you'll be there for sure.  That comes with experience, and this race will help with that.  Too bad we didn't get to see some of the good race photos!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn