Beginners and Beyond

8 k RR (Read 46 times)

tinman11

Friday night, 9:00 PM, through the downtown streets of my hometown.

Mile 1:  there's the church, shoe store, and courthouse.

Mile 2:  I don't remember all these hills. There's my middle school and favorite burger joint,  there's the university. There's the local bar with 20 people cheering us on.

Mile 3: There's my wife taking a pic and telling me I better pick it up.....drawing plenty of laughs.

Mile 4:  dang, I'm soaked with sweat and people are slowing down all around me. hold steady.

Mile 5: beautiful stretch down Dixie ave with bags & candles along each side of the street and down the center line. Tons of locals cheering with wine & beer in hand. I dont think i have a kick tonight. I'm sticking with cruise control. There's the library where I spent hours as a kid. And there's the finish line. Wow, someone took my picture. Must be my wife.

My finish was pretty slow compared to last year but I placed 3rd out of 27 in my AG. Nice medal.

I need to improve but I'm happy with the race overall. Lots of good memories along this course.

Thank you for reading.

Docket_Rocket

Nice job on the run.  Sounds like a fun way to spend a Friday night.  Congrats on finishing 3rd in your AG.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

Quick question.  Was the race well attended?  If so, I'm curious as to why there aren't more evening races other than just tradition.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

tinman11

Quick question.  Was the race well attended?  If so, I'm curious as to why there aren't more evening races other than just tradition.

423 finishers. And several kids & grandparents were there. They held a 1 mile fun run before the 8 k. Most kids played in the fountains afterward. I agree that more nighttime events would be popular. I'm always on the lookout for them.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Ha, your supportive wife sounds funny. Nice job on the AG award. Love that distance.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Nice race, Tinman. Where was it?

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

tinman11

Nice race, Tinman. Where was it?

Hey Tom. Thank you. It was in Cookeville, TN, through downtown and Tennessee Tech University.

Congrats on the AG medal!

Sounds fun, with the bagged candles like on Halloween.  And spectators with beverages.  Well done.

LRB

That was a nice twist for a race report!  I sucked at the two evening races that I have run, but maybe that was because I sucked.  ; )