Beginners and Beyond

Andre Booker Foundation 5K - Part 2. On the course. (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

On The Course

I admit I was a bit nervous about this one after having been admitted into the hospital on Wednesday of this week due to a TIA episode. After having MANY tests done on Wednesday and Thursday for my brain, heart, bloodflow, lungs, etc, I was found not to have had a stroke, thank goodness, and released late Thursday afternoon with some needed meds and had permission  from all the doctors who saw me – cardiologists, internal medicine docs, neurologists, etc – to continue running and to do my weekend races.  So this was a good comeback race – I have done this route before in previous races – since the course for the most part is pretty flat, with just a few inclines along the way, nothing I would really call a hill, and really well-paved smooth roads.   This was an out-and-back course from-and-back-to Bluebonnet Palace parking area.  I started out fairly slow, gauging how I felt – pretty good, actually –  doing my usual run/walk thing and gradually picked up to my normal pace.  By the halfway point I was feeling really good and ran nonstop to the finish for the last 1.2 miles.  I was really surprised to finish in 32:49, I was expecting, after my hospital stay and starting the meds, and so forth – to finish in around 35 or 36, so this was a pleasant surprise to find I was feeling pretty good and did well.  Well for me, anyway, lol, I am not the speediest person around. Anyway, I was happy with my results and ended up third in my 60 – 69 male age group – maybe because there were only 3 in my age group, lol.  I don’t care, I was just happy I was able to run like my usual self.

We were pretty much in an industrial area, so not a whole lot of scenery other than buildings.  My first walk break, a little over the half-mile mark.

Hey, everybody is running that stop sign! 

2nd walk break, a little over the halfway mark.

Left a little past that sign, road took us back to the road we started and then back to the finish.

Ran nonstop after that last walk break, ending up finishing in 32:49.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt