Beginners and Beyond

RBF Thursdailies (Read 38 times)

RunningOnSand

Took today off from work as my customer has the flu and I'm staying far away. Don't need that before Christmas.

Went to to my local hilly park for an easy 7. 8:17avg pace. Felt really good

Smart decision.

RunningOnSand

Forgot to post... Lat, long pull, seated leg and then stair day. It was a tad over 41 minutes but I don't really count it as I had to take a break midway as nature called.

I hate it when that happens.

RunningOnSand

It's not over yet... right now we are waiting for the open wound on her inner leg to close as much as it will on its own and then she will likely need a skin graft.

Sad

Docket_Rocket

Seventy-five HUNDRED? Oh holy moly.  And $650 for the poop test. Oh man. I agree--hoping all our animals can stay and remain healthy!!!

At least I saved her!  At least that made the expenses worth it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Ouch!  I am sure onemile beats us with her large vet bill, but Bugsy is competing with Trixie on highest vet bills in the house ever (she was $7500 then).  Hershey was so jealous he made me spend $650 to find out he was constipated.  Hoping they all quiet down and stay healthy for a few months.

We're around $9100 right now. But she still is going to need follow up radiographs plus some procedure to close her open wound (most likely a skin graft) which the vet can't give me an estimate on yet.

And that's just for this one incident. She's also been to the opthamologist twice for her pannus plus the cost of her daily eye drops.  And I have only had this dog for a year!  (but she is worth it.)

onemile

Sad

But the vet says her wound looks really good and healthy.  So there's that.  All signs of infection are gone and all of the healthy granulation tissue and new skin cells etc etc made him really excited.

onemile

At least I saved her!  At least that made the expenses worth it.

GinnyinPA

I guess I've been lucky with the vet, though it still hurt to pay $1600 on tests for Ben's low blood sugar, only to find out that they have no idea what, if anything, is going on. It might have been problems with the glucometers used, or he may have a tumor that hasn't shown itself yet. All we can do now is wait and see if any other symptoms develop.

It was a beautiful sunny day here, around 40 degrees when I set out. I did an easy  and mostly enjoyable 10 miles. I had a half mile when it seemed like the ghost of injuries past decided to pay a visit, reminding me of all sorts of pains I'd rather forget, but that passed, fortunately.

bluerun

Super B****

All this talk of vet bills is making me really thankful I only have fish.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

oldfartrunner

We got our 8 in. Boy it was cold and windy!  Coming out of the NW steady 20 and in the 20s. Guess the same wind LM was getting.

Boy that's a lot of $$$ for pets!  I don't think we would go that high, but everyone has to make their own decision about that...Our dog has been really good and healthy, only yearly Vet and shots, and occasional extra visits. She's lost quite a few teeth-being like 15, and DW brushes her teeth every night and she gets Milk Bones to help keep the tarter down. Most dogs will lose their teeth-like people, if they live long enough anyway, so we didn't flip for the $$$ yearly teeth cleaning which is pushed by the Vets these days.

onemile

I was lucky with my first GSD Mayzie. She lived to over 11 yrs (got her at 8 weeks old) and minus the ER visit the day we had to put her down, her biggest vet bill was like $300.

I've had Bruno for almost 3 years and only minor things like ear infection/ itchy nose

I could have had Gracie's leg amputated for much less money. I imagine that was the option if I declined to pay for surgery. But her leg is worth 10k to me. If there is a good chance for success I am not going to deny care to my dog over money.

Docket_Rocket

My knee has been achy since I ran my 15 in very old Cliftons (I never learn), but today's run went well.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

Short run on the treadmill.

We never added up our dog's medical bills, but the stack of statements from the vet's office is probably 4 inches thick. Most of the normal vet visits were under $100. Our vet was really good about working with us since our dog had some chronic issues. We had a system down for UTIs where they were ok not seeing the dog. I'd get a pee sample from the dog, drop it off on my way to work, get the call that it was indeed a UTI, pick up dog drugs on the way home. The only piece we couldn't get was extra antibiotics to get us through a weekend, so we had a few ER visits for the same issue where the ER wanted several hundred $$ and we had to argue for them to just give us the damn antibiotics.

Onemile, glad Gracie is doing well.

LRB

I was lucky with my first GSD Mayzie. She lived to over 11 yrs (got her at 8 weeks old) and minus the ER visit the day we had to put her down, her biggest vet bill was like $300.

I've had Bruno for almost 3 years and only minor things like ear infection/ itchy nose

I could have had Gracie's leg amputated for much less money. I imagine that was the option if I declined to pay for surgery. But her leg is worth 10k to me. If there is a good chance for success I am not going to deny care to my dog over money.

Absolutely not. You did what any compassionate human with the means to do it would do. It was a horrible situation to be thrust into but from day 1 you've done the right thing.

I guess we've been pretty lucky with our dog - nothing majo so farr. She's starting to get old, so we'll see. She's had problems with her eyes not producing tears from day 1, so we have 3 different kinds of eyedrops she gets a few times a day. And to be honest, we're not sure how well she actually sees anymore. Some of those drops are crazy expensive, and it really adds up, but nothing compared to some of the figures thrown around here. I know my wife would spend any amount of money necessary. The decision in her head would be no different than if it was one of our human children. Those of us who can, are lucky to be able to. Naturally plenty of folks who love their dogs just as much just don't have the money (and some are going broke just trying to keep up with their human medical bills).

Dave