Beginners and Beyond

Very funny...is this a real thing? (Read 201 times)

Awood: if you had a problem with it, that might not matter...I can go twice before a morning run, but often to no avail. Peeing is much less of an issue for me. I have run 2 HM's & 2 fulls, and did not pee during any of them. Well I did have to go at around mile 20 of the last one, but managed to hold it till the end. Did not actually pee before the race that time, other than when I woke up ~ 2hrs before the start.

Dave

Zelanie

OK, since you asked, yes it is a real thing, and it sucks, and it can't be avoided by using the bathroom before running, sorry. My guess is that it's more common than people care to admit, although lots of times I suspect that when people are talking about cutting runs short because of "tummy trouble" that this is what they mean.

Things that seem to work: Not eating for 2+ hours (ideally 3-4) before a run, and making it a light meal with low fat and fiber. Staying well hydrated throughout the day. Not outrunning my fitness in terms of pace or distance. So, warming up and using the bathroom before any speedwork so that I can finish the speed session without stopping.

Things that might or might not work: Avoiding caffeine and artificial sweeteners, especially sugar alcohols (this includes gum). Avoiding dairy or taking lactose supplements. Watching fiber and fat intake overall.

I'm sorry if that's TMI, but you did ask...

#artbydmcbride

Sing it, Sister! I have gotten to know where all public restrooms, and dense bushes are on my running routes.

Runners run

Rungry!

OK, since you asked, yes it is a real thing, and it sucks, and it can't be avoided by using the bathroom before running, sorry. My guess is that it's more common than people care to admit, although lots of times I suspect that when people are talking about cutting runs short because of "tummy trouble" that this is what they mean.

Things that seem to work: Not eating for 2+ hours (ideally 3-4) before a run, and making it a light meal with low fat and fiber. Staying well hydrated throughout the day. Not outrunning my fitness in terms of pace or distance. So, warming up and using the bathroom before any speedwork so that I can finish the speed session without stopping.

Things that might or might not work: Avoiding caffeine and artificial sweeteners, especially sugar alcohols (this includes gum). Avoiding dairy or taking lactose supplements. Watching fiber and fat intake overall.

I'm sorry if that's TMI, but you did ask...

A very nice list of things to avoid. I must say that bathroom availability was a prime concern when I first started running. "Tummy problems" was my body's main way of saying "FUCK YOU!" when I had pushed it too far on a long run. Not so much of a problem now, but I still plan my route around bathrooms...just in case..

Jen

I have gotten to know where all specifically designed my running routes to include public restrooms and dense bushes

FYP.

I am not sure which miles are longer, the ones near the end of a marathon or the ones to the nearest bathroom when the urge strikes.

Dave

Philliefan33

Oh, it's real.  A couple of weeks ago my planned  7-mile run (3.5 miles out and back) became a nine-mile run.  I was gripped by the poo monster just before the planned  turn-around point.  I had to decide whether to run one mile farther and use the bathroom at my gym, or turn around as planned and risk having to find a bush and sacrifice a sock.  Modern conveniences won out, DH was getting worried by the time I finally made it home in the dark -- he didn't see the logic (or humor) in my predicament.

LRB

I checked out after the third paragraph, my ADD could not take anymore of that.  Now, where was I....

oh yeah, la la la la la.

delicate flower

"I hate “fun runs” because, seriously, fuck you."  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin

What's funnier is that she signed up for an Electric Run.

<3

PragmaticRnnr

Fitness Jogger

Very funny!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I'm going to start watching out for the "Gingerbread Man".

Very funny!

I can count on 1 hand the number of times that I've had this problem.
                        I've run many times over the past 10 years.

I've had this problem 3 times.

1st time... furthest point on a 18 mile run and was able to get back to the house and dash to the bathroom.  I was in severe panic mode though as I was debating whether to dart into the grocery store at full speed with a bee-line to the bathroom or run the risk of dumping during the last 2 miles on the side of the road.

2nd time.... 4 miles into a 7 mile run at 5am, and was able to find a bush at the Korean church.  Sorry.

3rd time.... Ironman Texas last month, 30 minutes into the race while swimming!  I had to wait another 50  minutes to finish the swim and find the portapotty.  Holy cow!  that was not fun.  The first 50 miles of the bike ride were sketchy too....

(Normally, for long runs and long bike rides, I take 1 or 2 Ammodium AD's.  Normally it works.... Don't know what happened for this last race month)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

You Rang?

Sing it, Sister! I have gotten to know where all public restrooms, and dense bushes are on my running routes.

Yep!  My favorite long run route is on Huntington State Beach.  It's long, straight, flat, and there's a toilet every quarter mile.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've had that problem only once, but it happened late in a 30K race in January and the bushes didn't have leaves on them. It probably cost me a sub-2:00 time as well which was more annoying than having to find some evergreens to duck behind.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LOL.. That's why I am very careful what I eat before any run..