Beginners and Beyond

Oh no! We're all going to die! (Read 528 times)

Village people

We all have it coming, kid.

Wandering Wally

Life is fatal.  Like I told my dad, I'd rather go out healthy and happy than sick and miserable.

I read that article yesterday.  They seemed to base their study on elite triathlon athletes and then extrapolate the results to anyone who leads an active lifestyle.  It seemed like they were painting with a broad brush.  One of the examples in the article (the female physician who passed out in several triathlons) had a nutrition problem (sodium deficiency) NOT a heart problem.  It didn't even fit with the study.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

BIS

High Horse

We all have it coming, kid.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member ~ Groucho Marx.

catwhoorg

Labrat

I wonder if this is the same study as the one they trotted out in May with a similar conclusion.

Turns out the study "corrected" for certain effects. 
          (1) Weight 
          (2) Blood pressure, and 
          (3) Cholesterol. 
          Now one might think that higher-volume runners, on average, MIGHT happen to weigh less, have healthier blood pressure, and lower cholesterol than average. BECAUSE of their running! Ya figger? Certainly worked that way for me! 
          But no, the study decided that these factors should be adjusted out. Roll eyes

Alex Hutchinson's article noting the "adjustment" is: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/fitness/does-prolonged-exercise-damage-the-heart/article4394749/

My father had his first heart attack when he was six years younger than I am now.  He then dragged himself through 16 years of deteriorating quality of life.

I think I'll go for a run.

Basically the same group, with a slight reworking of emphasis.

But yes, normalising out the primary health benefits of aerobic exercise is just a plain stupid way to look at the data.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Gator eye

I sometimes feel that people in the 1800s had it best when they died by 50.

bet you won't feel that way when you hit 49 Wink

Village people

Smile

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

One was still born, one died at age 2, and one died at age 30.  That wasn't tragic; it was normal ...

Good heavens, just because something might be common doesn't make it less tragic.  Parents then may have had different expectations than we enjoy but they still felt the same grief that we would now.

Running for two.  Drinking for none.

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

Actually, most didn't.  If you managed to survive past about 20 years old, you had a good chance of seeing 70.  What pulled down life expectancy was the stark reality that half of all children died before age 5 and 2/3 died before age 20.  John and Abigail Adams had six children.  One was still born, one died at age 2, and one died at age 30.  That wasn't tragic; it was normal and, in fact, it was probably better than average because John and Abigail Adams were better off than most.  Their other children lived to roughly 60-80.  

By 50, a person has seen just about all that life has to offer. That's what was going through my mind.

In transit, arriving on time. 

Tar Heel Mom

kween

By 50, a person has seen just about all that life has to offer. That's what was going through my mind.

I hope this is a joke!!!

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

I hope this is a joke!!!

Sorry, just call me Debbie Downer.

In transit, arriving on time. 

xor

Sorry, just call me Debbie Downer.

I love your oatmeal sandwich cakes!

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine