Beginners and Beyond

Now or Never SunDAILIES (Read 44 times)

onemile

I ran an excellent race today - the Gettysburg Blue - Gray Half Marathon. Gorgeous day, low 50s at the start, 64 at the finish. Last time I ran this race, I was dealing with anemia but didn't know it. I just knew my training had sucked, and I couldn't run fast or long. I approached that race as a fun run, but still struggled the whole way. Today was redemption.My A goal was to go under two hours, since my previous PR was 2:00:40.  I ended up with a 6 minute PR at 1:54:27. I won my age group (out of 13) so came home with a big homemade apple pie. I was 111th out of 474, which is a better finish than I think I've ever had. I ran strong (almost) the whole way, so I really enjoyed the race.

6 minutes off your PR?! That's nearly 30 secs per mile. Awesome! And your A goal was under 2? Way to blow that out of the water! Eat the whole pie!

onemile

I could have kept this going for six more miles today.  It would have been hard and it would have hurt, but I could have done it.  I'm very happy about this run.  I didn't fade it didn't start to feel like a harder effort until around mile 15.  At this point I think my marathon is going to come down to weather.  If it's like it was this morning (a dry 45 degrees at the start), I'm going to have a very good day.  I won't count on that in Florida though.  I'm not so sure 7:16 is GMP right now, because 19.5 miles at GMP would be suicide.

Wow - nice! Your coach is gonna adjust your goal now I bet!!

onemile

I ran 16 with 3x5k/1k - 5k at a too fast MP and 1k at MP+20-25sec-ish

and now I am fucking tapering! 

Cyberic

I ran an excellent race today - the Gettysburg Blue - Gray Half Marathon. Gorgeous day, low 50s at the start, 64 at the finish. Last time I ran this race, I was dealing with anemia but didn't know it. I just knew my training had sucked, and I couldn't run fast or long. I approached that race as a fun run, but still struggled the whole way. Today was redemption.My A goal was to go under two hours, since my previous PR was 2:00:40.  I ended up with a 6 minute PR at 1:54:27. I won my age group (out of 13) so came home with a big homemade apple pie. I was 111th out of 474, which is a better finish than I think I've ever had. I ran strong (almost) the whole way, so I really enjoyed the race.

That is fantastic! Congrats on winning your AG and the huge congrats!

Cyberic

and now I am fucking tapering

Yeah! Enjoy the Addie taper 

onemile

Yeah! Enjoy the Addie taper 

She gave me the next 2 weeks and it's less than I expected!

and now I am fucking tapering! 

I'll say! Unless you're getting ready for a 3:05. 

You probably didn't think this taper would ever come, considering you've been in marathon training for like 6 months.

Dave

That is one heck of a PR! Congrats!

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

onemile

I'll say! Unless you're getting ready for a 3:05. 

What happened is, it was cool and rainy and I had a tailwind and 7:05 felt so easy and comfortable that I went with it, planning to run slower when I turned around into the headwind. but then I didn't. :P

Docket_Rocket

8 miles done.  Spent most of the day on my feet with my dad so I ended up with tired legs.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Listen here mister, I know when I'm being complimented and when I'm being insulted. Thanks for the compliment.

Hahahaha!!! I'm dying!

Mostly here to say nicely done Ginny!!!  You killed it!  Congratulations Smile