Beginners and Beyond

Volunteer Report: Midsummer Night's Dream Women's 5K (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was an all-women's event, a night-time run/walk held at 9 PM at Brackenridge Golf Course, a very scenic/pretty course located across from Brackenridge Park.  I was a volunteer for packet pickup for this one.  Took a few photos early into packet pickup; then as it got later, with a little over 800 ladies registered, it got quite busy for we volunteers for a while!  Finally slowed down a bit with about 20 minutes to go to start time, so I wandered around again and took some more photos before all the ladies got going.

photo 006_zps6vii3hhc.jpg

photo 007_zps53wbfdsi.jpg

Catherine, owner of Run Wild Sports, a very good local race store, and one of her staff (sorry, my old memory forgot his name)

photo 001_zps7460ztok.jpg

Some of my fellow packet pickup volunteers

photo 002_zpselqwt4on.jpg

Handing out the timing chips: provided by iaapweb.com, an excellent course  setup, timing results, etc., local race company.

photo 004_zpsgljowffe.jpg

A new friend I made....Pepper...and her human...

photo 005_zpsw9hs3upl.jpg

Enchanted Rock Brewery/Winery...they have some good stuff!

photo 033_zpstnzlubtx.jpg

Some of the participants

photo 003_zpstk2bubca.jpg

photo 008_zpsodcv0fd8.jpg

photo 009_zpspc9fpai0.jpg

photo 010_zpsthjkunde.jpg

Some folks from Team RWB San Antonio...a mix of participants and volunteers

photo 011_zpsdceocwxt.jpg

photo 012_zpsasvv8b5h.jpg

photo 013_zpsturhxuwn.jpg

photo 014_zps7nocaugz.jpg

photo 015_zpspwp7cvup.jpg

photo 016_zps3hkx5wvz.jpg

photo 017_zpskx4qwsqy.jpg

photo 018_zpsgqkusuaw.jpg

photo 019_zpscycniuqf.jpg

photo 020_zpshyrajxrd.jpg

Closer to start time...getting crowded

photo 021_zps0uvjqkic.jpg

photo 028_zpssrgqxwhn.jpg

photo 022_zpsbw1fkemv.jpg

photo 023_zpshseysrye.jpg

photo 024_zpsr7tcafxa.jpg

photo 025_zps3dywdx3a.jpg

photo 026_zpsfw29qju9.jpg

photo 027_zpswjqibm5i.jpg

photo 029_zpstbocsotc.jpg

photo 030_zpsazpx0n9h.jpg

photo 031_zpsewefvtme.jpg

photo 032_zpsjmyccgab.jpg

EPILOG

After I took the photos, it was about 9:30 or so and I headed on home.   I had gone to work at 6 a.m., then to an appointment and then right to packet pickup.  After stopping on the way home to get something to eat, I got home around 10:30 pm, had my food, went to bed around midnite....6 a.m. to midnite makes for a long day, lol.  Slept pretty good!

As for the 5K, well, it's a Scallywompus event and Race Director Bart always throws a good party for his events.  There was music, food, drinks, very nice race venue, lots of various vendors out there, etc.   If you're ever in San Antonio and have a chance to do one of his events, definitely do it, highly recommended!  Mucho thanks to all the vendors, including Run Wild Sports, where packet pickup started before it moved to the golf course; Enchanted Rock Winery; State Farm; and all the others.  Thanks to all the volunteers, to Brackenridge Park folks and the golf course, and all the other folks that were all out there  on race night and before race night, putting this all together to make it happen.  Definitely a fun event - I'd love to run this one myself...hmm, if I wore a dress, I wonder if Bart would let me run it - and always interesting to see a race from a volunteer perspective.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

You folks in SA really do know how to party!  Looks like fun.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Any single guys on the forum need to start joining you for these events 

LRB

...and always interesting to see a race from a volunteer perspective.

Very true. And it is something everyone should do at least once.

Docket_Rocket

Nice report!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page