Beginners and Beyond

Week 3 Penguins bet our money on the bob-tailed nag! (01/12-01/18) (Read 9 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is Stephen Foster Memorial Day, commemorating the death date of American songwriter Stephen Collins Foster.  Foster wrote, among other things, "Oh! Susanna" and "Camptown Races".  Interestingly, the college I went to for undergrad had a lovely carillon in the chapel (Wake Forest), and someone would play the carillon every evening at 5:00.  One evening I was walking across campus, heard this song that sounded vaguely familiar ringing through the bells, and finally figured out it was Camptown Races.

Weights and biking done this morning.  My NC family all has the flu (and didn't bother to get their shots), so I'm selfishly glad I'm in VA.  People are clamoring for my attention over email this morning.  I'm pretending I'm offline ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Rest day for me. I'm tired, so it will be rest, not cross-training unless Jim wants to go for a walk in the woods.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon! I landed back in Indy at around midnight last night so glad I took today off work. We had a super fun weekend but I DNFd the marathon. After 17 miles of heat that turned to extreme heat and humidity, there were rumors they were blackflagging the race soon. When I entered Animal Kingdom, my friend was there and after talking to my coach and not wanting to be stopped in the next three miles in the middle of nowhere, I stopped there. 10 minutes later, they red flagged the race, which means they diverted the runners that had not made it to Mile 20 to a shortened course. Had I continued, I would've been pissed, ha. So glad I stopped there.

I have an RD or 4 miles today. Still sore but I know that's dehydration. That reminds me to drink water now, lol.

HopesMom, nice workouts.

Ginny, enjoy the rest.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Docket, sounds like you definitely made the right decision!!  Glad it worked out well and you had fun!

I am completely swamped at work.  With stuff that can't be delegated to my tech, poo.

Weights and biking.  It was raining this morning, but should quit by noon, so this evening's ride should be dry.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! Took an RD yesterday and legs are feeling less WTF. I have 8 with hill sprints tonight.

HopesMom, hope you are less swamped as the day goes by.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

D - I can't imagine trying to do a quality workout after doing the Goofy challenge, especially in those conditions. Even though you didn't run the full marathon, and took lots of breaks, that's still a lot of time on your feet.

I've got a hill workout today too. It was raining, but is just damp and dreary ATM.

Docket_Rocket

She gave me the option of running 8 easy so I'll try 1-2 and see how I feel.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Turned out to be an RD today -- skipped weights because I had an early meeting, and then didn't bike because it's darned foggy out there.  Oh well, there's always tomorrow!  Quartet rehearsal was nice, though -- we met up early this week.  Which means I can sleep tonight!

Lots to do, we'll see how much of it gets done.  Some have tight deadlines, so they're quickly moving up my priority list.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I have 6 tonight.

HopesMom, it's foggy up here as well. I think we had a school delay due to it! Good luck with your meetings.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi all, weights done, no biking due to chorus tonight.  The black toner ran out on my printer, which means I can't print anything for the rest of the week.  Ordered more on my own dime thru Amazon, it'll be a lot faster (and probably cheaper) than going through official university purchasing.  At least this way I'll be back in business after the Monday holiday, but it's a little disconcerting not to be able to print what I want!  I think, should I need to, that I could carry stuff over to my tech's computer, log in with my ID, and print stuff that way, I just don't think she has a color printer.

Anyway, my tech leaves today for a 3-week vacation to India with her family, so that's awesome for her.

Still lots to do, so I'm off!

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I have either 0 or 4 tonight.

HopesMom, great job on the weights (I need to restart on mine, sigh). Wow, a three-week vacation to India! I'm jealous.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Oh yeah, I'm jealous too!!  Though I'll admit to being mildly concerned that they'll have trouble getting back into the US, considering the current ridiculous political climate.  Their daughter is a citizen, but they're on visas, so I'm crossing my fingers for them.

RD today -- I'm starting sleep-in Fridays (30 minutes) in an effort to be a bit less groggy on my drive in after late Wednesday and Thursday singing nights.  So no weights.  And it's c-c-c-cold out there!  So no biking.

Chorus holiday party tomorrow (I made a cheesecake), then a performance on Sunday.  Possibly a lead/bari sectional on Monday.  Yeah, when I'm not working or sleeping, I'm singing. 

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I have 7 miles tonight.

HopesMom, I agree. In this hateful climate, it's hard to know what could happen.

Damaris

Fundraising Page