Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies that feel like Monday - 5/30 (Read 34 times)

Zelanie

Yeah, but in another 10 days I'm done with this shit.

I'm sorry that you're not finding enjoyment in running right now.  I hope that you'll find a reason to stick around and maybe new reasons to be motivated.  But yeah, maybe some long-overdue rest is in order.

3.  I've now been running this time for 9 years - the likelihood of any further improvements (especially at my age) are slim.  And I am a competitive SOB - especially with myself

I am planning in my head for the time when the decline due to age overtakes any training improvement. I expect it to happen sooner rather than later. Already I enjoy racing with the possibility of AG placing, I am hoping that enjoyment continues. Maybe it will for you.

MTA: although if you don't like running, I guess you're not enjoying it much now.

Dave

No more marathons

I am planning in my head for the time when the decline due to age overtakes any training improvement. I expect it to happen sooner rather than later. Already I enjoy racing with the possibility of AG placing, I am hoping that enjoyment continues. Maybe it will for you.

MTA: although if you don't like running, I guess you're not enjoying it much now.

Well, it's possible that there is a bit of hyperbole in my statements.

Running satisfies several needs.

I like competitive sports but right now I don't have enough time for tennis or basketball - my favorites - so running fills that gap.  Especially because I can train at lunch time instead of just working through lunch.  I can also listen to books on tape while running, which I enjoy.

And of course there's that whole eating and drinking thing.  Smile

Once I lose the opportunity to use my lunch time to run, my guess is that I don't have the discipline to run in the morning and I'll have lots of excuses to not run after work more than once or twice a week.  So my current 40 mpw will likely fall to 20 or less.

And yes, age group placement is part of that whole competition thing.  But in the 65 and above category, there just aren't that many oldpharts around.  In the 5K I ran this weekend there were only 7 in my age group and the 2nd place was more than 3:30 behind me.  That is generally the rule rather than the exception.

It's going to be a good experience for me to go down to Birmingham and get soundly thrashed.  Smile

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

And yes, age group placement is part of that whole competition thing.  But in the 65 and above category, there just aren't that many oldpharts around.  In the 5K I ran this weekend there were only 7 in my age group and the 2nd place was more than 3:30 behind me.  That is generally the rule rather than the exception.

I would love to see 7 in my age group. All too often there are barely enough to match the number of AG awards given and it's not unusual for me to be the only one. I see more competition in my AG in the ultras than I do in the 5Ks, but then ultras rarely offer more than first place in AGs because of the overall fewer number of runners. From a different perspective it starts to get a little annoying when the oldest AG is 60+ and I'm competing against runners 10 years younger.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Half Crazy K 2.0

You guys can come up to the Baltimore area in September. There is an annual event that supports the Baltimore County Department of Aging. They do 10 year AG until they get to 80.