Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdaylies are here. (Read 28 times)

Cyberic

Yeah. I have seen posts asking for coaches on the local running club facebook page and I know of one person who offers coaching and per her website, she is working to BQ herself. And she charges more than what I pay Hudson.

I offered to coach for free one person at work. I offered it in a post, saying I was giving no guarantee, but I thought I could help a beginner get substantially better, and to see someone progress would be payment enough. I demanded honesty and dedication in exchange.

Nobody opted in. LOL.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

No, curious for anyone with coaches, because it's just a foreign concept to me to not know the full schedule in advance. Of course that is theoretically one of the benefits of a coach, that they can adjust as needed.

I hired a coach when I first moved to ultras since that was beyond anything I was familiar with. I got 1-2 weeks of workouts at a time, but they might be modified based on what I posted that I actually ran and how I felt. More importantly my unusual background for someone moving up to ultras was taken into account and the training modified accordingly. Not too many runners jump from indoor track racing the mile to running an ultra 6 months later. I don't think any of the on-line or in print published schedules would have been suitable for me. Certainly what I envisioned was quite different from what my coach planned.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

delicate flower

I think Baboon has an online coach?  And Damaris's coach lives in Chicago

Correct.  E-mail and text.  We don't have a ton of dialogue...a couple of e-mails a week.  I'm a low maintenance client.  He gives me my workout schedule, I do the workouts.  Most of my questions are around scheduling.

Speaking of which, in the event I don't do my duathlon this weekend, I'll do a HM on the 20th.

<3

onemile

Speaking of which, in the event I don't do my duathlon this weekend, I'll do a HM on the 20th.

That sounds more fun

That sounds like a great opportunity to join the HM PR party. 

FYP.

Dave

onemile

FYP.

I heard it's going to be hot that weekend

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Where do you guys find your coaches?  I know a lot of people seem to go through Hudson Elite (Jen I think you do?), but then I see self proclaimed "running coaches" on instagram who charge $125 a month and seem to have no other credentials or coaching experience other than simply being runners themselves.

I found mine from personal recommendations of people who posted on RW and here. I also checked out testimonials posted on the website taking into account that runners who were not satisfied would not have testimonials posted. I was looking more for how coach and runner interacted and whether runners felt their programs were really personalized. One of the things I was impressed with was the extensive questionnaire I had to fill out covering running history and experience, health and medical history as it might affect training, family and work schedules and obligations that could impact time and energy available to train, etc.

Lack of credentials shouldn't be an automatic disqualification. I was moderately successful as a coach and I have no formal credentials. This is were personal references and feedback from runners they have coached become important. A thorough interview process like any other hiring process should be part of the decision making.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

delicate flower

I heard it's going to be hot that weekend

700' elevation gain too.   True story.

<3

700' elevation gain too.   True story.

W. T. F.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think Baboon has an online coach?  And Damaris's coach lives in Chicago

But I've met him!

Ran my slow 6.

Damaris