Beginners and Beyond

Raining ThursDailies (Read 24 times)

that might have thwarted the "Shoe Bomber" on a flight to Detroit, post-9/11 

The shoe thing started specifically because of that guy. Fucker.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Are you ready for some football?

Not really.   When my kids were born I didn't have time for it any more and don't miss it.  Maybe that will change when (if?) they move out.

I was in south Jersey for a meeting when the the CEO was called out of the meeting and then came back, saying we should put on the TV.  Once the south tower came down, it was clear no work was going to get done and we were allowed to leave.  I had a two-hour drive back north and by the time I got to the daycare facility, my son was the only one still there and the staff had been trying to contact me.  It was my son's 3rd birthday and my neighbors and I got a lot of stress relief that evening watching him play with their 2-year-old daughter, both kids blissfully unaware of what had happened.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

GinnyinPA

Today was a run in a mix of sunshine and showers, sometimes at the same time. I ran 7. I considered extending it but was watching some big black clouds to the northwest. The hail started about 5 minutes after I got inside.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Rest day.

The morning of 9/11, BF (now DH) got an e-mail about a training that was being held at Marsh McLennan later that year in one of the towers.

Post 9/11 travel, DH and firends went on one of their football trips to Florida State in November. All the guys were 30+. A bartender tried to keep one guys license saying it was a fake id. Cops were called, different friend nearly gets arrested from mouthing off to the bartender. Cops get it straightened out & the license is returned.

ETA, Baltimore marathon posted a covid update. Race is cupless & self serve at water stations. The race responded to the postive comments on FB and ignored those asking about masking, social distancing & the fact that everyone is going to be touching water bottles.

Docket_Rocket

I was at work (worked for a communications department in PR). We had 5 TVs and we watched all day in horror.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

On the Sunday night game, my Bears take on Baboon’s Rams. I am not optimistic. For the Bears it may be less of a question of how many games they go before giving up on Andy Dalton and putting in Justin Fields, but how many quarters. Not sure how Baboon feels about his new QB Matthew Stafford. LRB and wolvmar will assure him that Stafford will put up some big numbers then throw a pick at the most inopportune time. I suppose the Lions can expect the same from Jared Goff. Although the big numbers may be questionable.

In what is quite possibly the dumbest take this off-season, Peter King has him leading the Rams to a superbowl victory, whut? This for a guy who has never won his division, never won a playoff game and quite frankly, never placed the proper importance on winning division games.

My prediction? (dumb hot take alert!) The Lions get their first playoff win in 30 years against the Rams. Love him to death but the spotlight he is in is going to turn white hot and fast. JG on the other hand, was cast off like a piece of trash to Detroit, which ironically, might be the best thing that happened to him, We'll see...

LRB

On the Sunday night game, my Bears take on Baboon’s Rams. I am not optimistic.

You should lose, but Khalil Mack might be inspired to best Aaron Donald and show TF out.

delicate flower

'Morning.  No run today, tomorrow, or Saturday due to long MTB weekend.  16 miles today...a nice warm up.

<3

to Detroit, which ironically, might be the best thing that happened to him,

Not something you often hear!

Dave

LRB

Not something you often hear!

lol - Not unless you were these guys. What a run!

Well I was being more specific to the Lions. Not many good times in our lifetimes. Or our parents’....

Dave

LRB

Well I was being more specific to the Lions. Not many good times in our lifetimes. Or our parents’....

I got nothing but thoughts and prayers in that case then 🤣

sdWhiskers

Ran/'walked 5 miles around lunchtime. Mid 80s out there and full sun, yuck. I never run midday but seemed like a crazy amount of traffic.

Hey apparently when you run in the middle of the day and it's super sunny, WEAR SUNSCREEN.

Hey apparently when you run in the middle of the day and it's super sunny, WEAR SUNSCREEN.

The more you know!

Dave