Beginners and Beyond

REPORT AND PHOTOS - KYLE-O-METER RESOLUTION RUN 5K (Read 9 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

REPORT AND PHOTOS - KYLE-O-METER RESOLUTION RUN 5K

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2075%20Kyle-O-Meter%20Resolution%20Run%205K

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE THE START

My last race of 2016, my 75th race of this year for me. Held on December 31 in Kyle TX, which is about an hour’s drive from San Antonio.  9 a.m. race start time, with start and finish at Wallace Middle School.  Weather was cloudy and threatening rain; it did ‘spit’ on us a bit before the start but during the race it was dry. Temp was around 57 degrees at start time, humidity not too bad.  I arrived with about an hour to go to start time, got my race packet, and then wandered around taking some pre-start photos.

Local area race management company Athlete Guild did there usual great job with course setup, timing, results, etc.

photo 001_zpspddzinos.jpg

One of the first 'folks' I met.  He doesn't talk much...but did tell me "EAT MOR CHIKIN"

photo 014_zps8aqmorvk.jpg

photo 015_zpsbmpy24dt.jpg

Me with a fellow Team RWB (Red White Blue) team member, who did the drive up from San Antonio too.

photo 003_zps9ecgsfer.jpg

Some of the participants, volunteers, etc.

photo 002_zpsbjni5khh.jpg

photo 004_zpszv4z6nok.jpg

photo 005_zpsjizehtyc.jpg

photo 006_zpsjfhrbbh5.jpg

photo 007_zpsmidcv1do.jpg

photo 008_zps3jr3tgrj.jpg

photo 009_zpshouwpgaf.jpg

photo 010_zps37upmpjy.jpg

photo 011_zpshlut8zcg.jpg

photo 012_zpsbbby3hmn.jpg

This lil doggie had a great interest in a dog over to the side of him, lol.

photo 013_zpsocvxouil.jpg

photo 017_zpsg1blbccd.jpg

Getting ready to start

photo 016_zpsrom80tqw.jpg

photo 018_zpscjvxtiqi.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Started in the school parking lot, made a turn and climbed an incline. Crossed a street and went onto a “No Outlet” street, which was nice, very little traffic at this time of the morning, lots of room for everyone to maneuver around as needed. This was a pretty hilly course – unlike most people, I prefer uphill to downhill, as downhill is harder on my back with my spinal arthritis – so thank goodness I regularly do a weekly hill training run. I did pretty good, managed to get up and down all the hills in good order, took photos during my 2-min walk breaks, and then ran non-stop the last 1.2 miles, finishing in 33:59, good enough for 2nd in my age group, 60 – 98.  I had to laugh at the age group, lol, but I get it, this was a smaller event.  I could tell because from what I saw of the results listing, there were only 2 in my age group, lol.  The guy in my age group who finished ahead of me was doing 8:25 minute miles, sheesh.

photo 019_zpsmizkj0q4.jpg

photo 020_zps27ulcffj.jpg

photo 021_zps2noqkkxc.jpg

photo 022_zpsgy7h24wz.jpg

photo 023_zpstnklbian.jpg

photo 024_zps8thtusp9.jpg

photo 025_zpsmz3v7anv.jpg

photo 026_zps9xzv7slo.jpg

Leaders coming back..the 2nd guy ended up being the overall winner, in 16 minutes and something, sheesh.

photo 027_zpsvewgvq1z.jpg

My pal, Bernadette, heading back to the finish; long before I even got to the turn-around point, lol.

photo 028_zpsyfakjcci.jpg

Turn-around point...thanks Volunteer!

photo 029_zpsgmgbroab.jpg

And up the hill we go, the one we came down to get to the turn-around point.  This was a 2-part hill...you went up to the first curve and around it at the top...and there was more hill waiting for you after that curve.

photo 030_zpsaqlkltlm.jpg

photo 031_zpskdb6fvgz.jpg

photo 034_zpsdvests5f.jpg

photo 033_zpsfx7fqbfp.jpg

You get up to the top here and think the hill is over....

photo 032_zpsz8hznyy1.jpg

...nope, we had to keep climbing to get back to the first water stop...just under a mile to the finish from here...

photo 036_zpsqzlk4omd.jpg

After that...a bit of a downhill, around another curve..and then climb the last hill - that was our beginning downhill after the start - and then we had a slight downhill incline to the finish.

AND I AM DONE!  YAY!

photo 038_zps8ekezffn.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Got some rehydration – no “New Year’s Eve Day” beer though, bummer   – changed into a dry base layer shirt, and then got some photos of the “Happy Finishers”, volunteers, supporters, etc. Also munched on a breakfast chicken sandwich, provided by sponsor Chik-Fil-A, nice. Other goodies included coffee, these little tasty “cookie” things – looked like some kind of ‘wafers’ with a strawberry middle – and lots of give-away stuff from various sponsors.   Nice.

A couple of folks coming in after me....

photo 040_zpsxhzkyiha.jpg

photo 041_zpslcxr82rh.jpg

And some finishers, volunteers, etc.

photo 037_zps46rrnfj4.jpg

photo 039_zpsuz6kvbbk.jpg

photo 042_zpsolf1ewtv.jpg

photo 043_zpszwrytae9.jpg

photo 044_zpssimzldmr.jpg

photo 045_zpsbjywf0az.jpg

photo 046_zpsygblbq0e.jpg

Found Bernadette, who finished way ahead of me

photo 047_zpsabnltrdf.jpg

Me with the lovely Race Director

photo 048_zps981fw363.jpg

photo 049_zpslvnrrykg.jpg

photo 050_zpszyyb852z.jpg

The "medals" were these unique hand-carved "5K" emblems, with the K having boots with little spurs on them;  I think a 'cowboy hat" is on the number 5.  Nice.

photo 061_zps99gdssa8.jpg

photo 060_zpsqim6csge.jpg

Some of the age group winners and overall guy winner

This guy was overall winner.  I wonder if they give him a big amount gift card for Chik-Fil-A, which was one of the sponsors...cuz, you know.... "Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!"   Tongue

photo 051_zps4bpin66p.jpg

Bernadette, 2nd in her age group for her 89th race of 2016.

photo 052_zpsansquc9j.jpg

2nd place for me in my age group for my 75th race of 2016.

photo 053_zpsu0ojz1el.jpg

photo 054_zpsatrg4iv0.jpg

photo 055_zpslnh7y1c8.jpg

This lady won the 'edible bouquet"

photo 056_zpsmg5yqbbc.jpg

After I got home, I took a selfie with this 2017-headband that was in the goodie bag.  Nice, huh?

photo 057_zpsyz8psixb.jpg

Nice long-sleeved race shirt

photo 058_zpsman1dukl.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is the first time I’ve done this event. It may be small but it is well organized, has a somewhat challenging but good course – and though it does have hills, it is ‘stroller friendly’ for those of you with kids, the course is all paved and, hey, you’ll get some upper body work pushing those strollers on this course;  very unique carved age group awards, nice race shirt, and there was a drawing for an ‘edible bouquet’ too. All the people there – volunteers, sponsors, participants - were great too; one of the friendliest and outgoing events I’ve ever done.  I will definitely do this one again in the future and certainly would recommend it to my fellow runners and walkers.

MUCHO thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, Kyle Chamber of Commerce folks, school officials for the use of the school grounds, etc., all the folks who made this one happen for we participants.  Happy New Year to all!

75 races for the year…I’m tired, lol…nap time.  And then tomorrow start of the New Year with Race 1 of 2017, the San Antonio Roadrunner Cobweb Chaser.  Let the race count begin for 2017!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I like the unique medals. Fun to get something a bit different.

Have fun tomorrow.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Congrats on 75 races in 2016! Wow. And 89 races? I can't even imagine.