Beginners and Beyond

Race Report and Photos: Get Your Rear In Gear 5K for Colon Cancer (Read 32 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO AND SHORT VERSION REPORT

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

My 14th race of 2015, held at McAllister Park in San Antonio on  March 28, 2015.  This race supports cancer colon research - the type of cancer I had - so I always try to do this local event whenever I can.  Weather for we South Texans was just about perfect, upper 50s, low 60s, sunny, very low humidity and dew-point.  There was a very nice turn-out for this event too, about 1100 registered runners and walkers, and there was also a Kid's Run.  There was some confusion, apparently, about shuttle bus parking and pickup place, so the race was delayed by  about 30 - 40 minutes or so to allow time for everyone to get to the start area.   I ended up with a chip time of 34:47, and got 1st in my age group of 60-69...mainly because I was the only one in my age group, lol.   After I finished, 3 separate friends of mine, each with their own Garmins, all told me the course actually was a little long, at 3.3 miles instead of 3.1   No worries, it's all good.. and just means I'm all that much 'speedier', right?  .  With my AG placing, a pretty nice looking medal to add to my collection to donate to the cancer kids at the local hospital.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before the Start

McAllister Park, one of the largest parks in San Antonio, has several activity pavilions and one of them is where the 5K started and finished.   There were also lots of 'teams' at this event and various awards were given to them pre-race, for stuff like most funds raised by a team, most imaginative team, largest team, etc.

photo 013_zpsevbaypk4.jpg

Randy Beamer, news anchor of local area TV station WOAI was there as our MC.  One of the nicest guys ever.   Even if he is a Dallas Cowboys fan.    I joke, because I grew up in Washington DC area and so happen to be a Redskins fan.   He graciously let me have a photo with him.

photo 016_zpsmikvldhn.jpg

A memorial table of one of the teams, Angels in Blue

photo 066_zpsd8jg56ry.jpg

The mascot of Las Palapas, a very good local restaurant, was there

photo 015_zpsihqnqstb.jpg

This "Blue Fairy' was there, a very inspirational lady

photo 004_zpserrhciba.jpg

My good friend Scott Wood of Athlete Guild, which did the course set up, race timing, etc, and one of the event organizers

photo 018_zpsfm2v8hnp.jpg

photo 022_zpsf81xzcu4.jpg

Some of the volunteers, supporters, and participants, pre-start

photo 001_zpsq2hhbxzk.jpg

For some reason, there were a lot of Florida Gator fans there.  My wife is a Gator fan, as she was born in Gainesville.  I happen to be a Florida State fan, so it gets real interesting around our house when they play each other, lol.

photo 002_zpscjjl6ho8.jpg

photo 003_zpsle7gxjgs.jpg

photo 009_zpsjmyfefwz.jpg

photo 005_zpsooprld26.jpg

photo 006_zpsvcxsajq0.jpg

photo 007_zpsiqoqoyiy.jpg

photo 008_zpse7uu5bru.jpg

photo 010_zpsfclxx7pq.jpg

These 3 are wearing the tech tees that all participants got

photo 011_zpscphbjzjd.jpg

photo 012_zpsvjrrhsep.jpg

photo 014_zpsimlxuxmu.jpg

photo 017_zpstdglokqt.jpg

Fellow retirees.  Yay Air Force!

photo 019_zps8geqyw7m.jpg

photo 020_zpssbwt08k1.jpg

photo 021_zps15j53lws.jpg

photo 023_zpshjikvbo8.jpg

photo 024_zpsreziyxhg.jpg

photo 027_zpsa84e4hno.jpg

photo 028_zpsykuj9pra.jpg

photo 029_zpsrr31mmp5.jpg

photo 030_zps65z6jw70.jpg

photo 031_zpsq1skv4q1.jpg

My friend, Bethany (pink, on the right) with her team, Miriam's Mob, supporting cancer patient Miriam, the lovely lady 2nd from left in the front.

photo 033_zps8ireksjb.jpg

I took a few photos of this group....the sunshine and the trees and the shadows were playing havoc with my camera at times...so I'll just let them pick the one they like the best

photo 035_zpsue1ypwyt.jpg

photo 037_zpst9djexit.jpg

photo 035_zpsue1ypwyt.jpg

photo 038_zpsjjnyxzfv.jpg

Me and one of my favorite ladies in the world, Karin

photo 039_zpsuwmcowgs.jpg

Two lovely ladies that I see at a lot of the local events that I do

photo 040_zps2lfnolsr.jpg

On the Course

This park is quite popular for events and has about 6 different 5K routes that can be used.  So, of course, the ONLY route that has a hill was the one that was used, lol.   I think it was announced, too, there was a water stop at about the halfway point, but there was not one, actually, so I guess those volunteers must've got delayed or something.  Didn't bother me, as I don't take in water for a 5K, but I felt bad for the folks doing the 5K walk behind us, who were probably going to be out there longer, and maybe had kids with them, they might have appreciated some water along the way.  Well, it is what it is, and it appeared everyone dealt with it and I really did not hear any post-event complaints about it.  The paved running trails in the park are very nice - and quite green at this time of year - so those of my friends who are 'real winter' folks back east, north, etc, and still have snow and are reading this....enjoy the greenery and sunshine!

photo 041_zps1t0mrhr7.jpg

photo 042_zps7ksckcq0.jpg

photo 043_zpsjclgeh4z.jpg

photo 044_zpslmcczblg.jpg

photo 045_zpsikjokzsv.jpg

photo 046_zpsupfkdi0h.jpg

photo 048_zpsme4jm0mp.jpg

photo 049_zpss4rfhnj1.jpg

photo 050_zpsetixrrbr.jpg

photo 051_zpswsbxb9ko.jpg

photo 052_zpsdb7nqoev.jpg

photo 053_zpsnykarpbp.jpg

photo 054_zpstybtxngp.jpg

After the Finish

Shiner Beer Ladies - my first stop post-race.

photo 032_zpsjrlgevbx.jpg

Yeah, beer!

photo 057_zpsuisucstn.jpg

Other goodies included sausages served up by these two folks

photo 059_zpss9q21dcr.jpg

Three kinds of tacos served up by these ladies

photo 060_zpstaku8txu.jpg

Various fruits

photo 061_zpspqvmkrc2.jpg

There were also various nutrition bars, bottled water, and other stuff.  Quite a nice and 'busy' after-party on a beautiful day, as you can see from these folks enjoying themselves at it.

photo 074_zpsyrj1cwzw.jpg

And, of course, some of the "Happy Finishers, volunteers, and supporters.

photo 055_zpsk2eoutmv.jpg

photo 056_zpsljcug2jx.jpg

photo 058_zpsacibc2zo.jpg

photo 062_zpsvboz1cb3.jpg

photo 063_zpsarhm7r3a.jpg

photo 064_zpsxtv3weoi.jpg

photo 065_zpsqdyvzoya.jpg

photo 067_zpsrsojfjpj.jpg

photo 068_zps9euucxdd.jpg

"Miriam's Mob" walkers coming in to the finish

photo 069_zpsgfdlblfq.jpg

photo 070_zpsg05gv9tb.jpg

photo 071_zpsoqtxauvh.jpg

photo 072_zpsdzsjqpqd.jpg

photo 073_zpsdtoyxxwv.jpg

photo 075_zpsuazfidyk.jpg

photo 077_zpst1rp1vp4.jpg

photo 078_zpsgsxtbyxm.jpg

photo 079_zpsa3skyvwh.jpg

Medal Scotty Dogg

photo 080_zpsrwcgjg9o.jpg

EPILOG

In spite of the late start, one of the best events I've done all year thus far.  Lots of people turned out; a beautiful day for it; a really nice course; lots of post-race goodies; nice tech-tee shirt for participants.  Definitely a worth-while and fun event to, all for a good cause. Much thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, etc., who made were all out there for us to make this event happen.

Next up for me:  April Fools 5K on April 1st at 6:30 pm. at Lady Bird Johnson Park.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Looks like a really nice event in a lovely place to run.  Great that there were so many participants.  I like the slogan on the race t-shirts.

Brilliant

What a nice course!  Congrats on the AG win. 

LRB

There was lots of sun but lots of sleeves too. Soon enough though it will be hot as Hades down there...and here too!

hog4life

I can't see the pictures on these computers at work. The event is the one you mailed me the shirt from a year or two ago. Thanks.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Beautiful park and nice liking event!

I dig the beer and food spread!

From the Internet.

What a lovely place for a 5K! I feel warmer just looking at your pictures Smile Spring cannot get here soon enough - up here we woke up to a fresh crust of snow and ice on everything. :C Mother Nature hates New England this year.

happylily

What a pretty course! Makes me long for some outdoor running (in nice weather). Congratulations, Scotty, on your AG award! You were the only brave 60-69 year old to show up that day, you deserve the medal. And it's so nice of you to donate it to sick children.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Thanks for running this race to support cancer colon research.  A family member of mine passed away from it several years ago.

Looks like you deserved the well-earned beer.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Docket_Rocket

Great report as usual, Scotty!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Wow, finally a really nice day and great racing weather, and of course a good cause too.  Glad it went so well.

That dog's expression in one of the pre-race photos is cracking me up.  He does NOT look like he wants to be photographed!

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Always loved reading your RRs back in the day. Awesome as usual.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**