Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Orange Leaf 5K and Half Marathon (Read 19 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 33rd race of 2015.  The Orange Leaf Half Marathon and 5K was held on July 11, 2015 at the Cross Creek Shopping area IN New Braunfels, Texas.  Both events started and finished at the local Orange Leaf frozen yogurt store.  There were 381 participants, the majority of them doing the half-marathon. I participated in the 5K.  The Half started at 6:30 am and the 5K started at 7 a.m.  Nice to have an early start on a Texas summer day, wish ALL race directors would do that with their events during Texas summer!   I ended up being 3rd in my age group, with a finish time of 31:41...what?  I haven't done under 32 minutes for a 5K in like forever, lol.  I thought maybe my time was a mistake of the course was short, but when I checked with some of my garmin-wearing friends they all told me the course was dead-on.  So I guess for some reason I am getting a bit faster in my old age, lol.    Must be some extra pounds I've lost, I'm below 190 lbs now for the first time in a long time.  Whatever the reason, I'll take it!  I thought that was a pretty good time for a slow old man, especially considering taking my photo walk breaks along the way too.  Nice.

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

Before the Start

From where I live, it's only about a 35 minute or so drive to New Braunfels.  But with the early start, I still left at 5:30 a.m. just to be safe and give myself plenty of time as Interstate 35 often has some 'crazy' drivers and you really never know when there will be an accident, traffic problems, etc.

I arrived safely, with about 45 minutes to go to 5K start time and 15 minutes to go to half marathon start time.   Got my bib number and a very nice tech tee race shirt, and then wandered around getting a few pre-start photos.

Your host for this report

photo 009_zpsmoqvvyfj.jpg

AthleteGuild folks prepping for the timing, race results, etc.

photo 001_zpsntbhuete.jpg

Race Day registration/packet pickup ladies

photo 014_zpsw7mgnx1h.jpg

Our MC who did a great job

photo 005_zpsmslfssrq.jpg

A few of the pre-start participants, supporters, etc. ..most of these participants are the 5K folks...

photo 002_zpstpk5tanm.jpg

photo 006_zpspzdx5pkw.jpg

photo 007_zpsxn09sldj.jpg

photo 008_zpsuffzly5t.jpg

photo 010_zps8q63opli.jpg

photo 015_zpscci11djx.jpg

photo 016_zpsvsijvode.jpg

photo 017_zpssuiu7mh2.jpg

photo 018_zpsspjnn3ie.jpg

photo 019_zpsevozcgvm.jpg

Double take!

photo 020_zps94kadavv.jpg

photo 021_zpszvhijdxv.jpg

My speedy pal Bernadette, who did place in her age group in spite of hurting a bit today

photo 022_zpssdemoyo0.jpg

These very nice folks give a nice view of the tech tee participants got

photo 013_zpsuluwurjo.jpg

Grandparents with their grandson doing his very first 5K.  He did okay too!

photo 011_zpsmuibxazu.jpg

Half Marathon folks getting ready to start...

photo 003_zpsobrjtm9s.jpg

photo 004_zpsfukdji8n.jpg

About 1 minute before the 5K start

photo 023_zpsrfchyvwy.jpg

photo 024_zpsuco4dbdd.jpg

On the Course

The 5K course is very flat.  We turned right from the Orange Leaf parking lot area, went up one of the main roads of the shopping center and then made a left onto a local road.  From there it was straight out-and-back, coming back to the shopping center and finishing where we started, near the back entrance of the Orange Leaf frozen yogurt store.   Good course for those wanting to attempt a 5K PR.

And we're on the course!

photo 025_zpsngigg93p.jpg

Shopping area we just come from now behind us

photo 026_zpser284ylc.jpg

I interacted with this gentleman and lady on the course quite a bit...they just happened to be around me each time I took my photo walk break...

photo 027_zpselt4galz.jpg

photo 028_zpsnscyozgf.jpg

I've made the 5K turn-around point now and am heading back to the shopping center/finish line

photo 029_zpsjvd7hdnt.jpg

Yes, this was still an 'open road" as you can see from the car.  But the drivers I saw - and only about 4 vehicles total - were all very polite and careful, giving way to the runners and walkers.

photo 030_zpsgwc1vufh.jpg

photo 031_zpsq1mgu6hs.jpg

Here those two come again! 

photo 032_zpszncgfhmh.jpg

photo 033_zpszgo2wo2p.jpg

photo 034_zpsfx5ouufm.jpg

A few of the 5K folks coming in after I finished...

photo 035_zpsbckhrciw.jpg

photo 036_zpsjcxofsux.jpg

Here those two come again! 

photo 037_zpszkl7me0j.jpg

photo 038_zpshbuivhee.jpg

After the Finish

Of course doing the 5K meant that we got back long before any of the half-marathon people finished; so we had first shot at the goodies, which included some very good beer from New Braunfels Brewery  and a free cup of frozen yogurt for every race participant - your choice of 11 different flavors - which really hit the spot after a run on a warm Texas morning.  Thanks Orange Leaf!  There was also iced down bottles of water, nice and cold, gatorade, and some other munchies.

Birthday Girl Sherry of AthleteGuild and me with my "game face' lol.....or I was still trying to breathe again....

photo 039_zpsqntjgmyv.jpg

Smiles...that's better!

photo 040_zpsii1uzxfb.jpg

Yeah beer!

photo 041_zpszpmzynot.jpg

photo 043_zps8tz4aui3.jpg

Some of the "Happy Finishers", supporters, etc.    All the half runners and walkers got a finisher medal - kinda shaped like a baseball diamond, with a red-and-white ribbon - and half age-group folks got a medal too.  The 5K folks that placed in the 5K got  their placement medals, which were round, with a red-and-white ribbon.

photo 042_zpsa9t3oimu.jpg

photo 044_zpswug0loxn.jpg

photo 045_zpscmgc3dj1.jpg

photo 046_zps61ujtbvk.jpg

photo 047_zpsgh25b5q5.jpg

photo 048_zpsv0xgjwn7.jpg

photo 049_zpsouxqt9nx.jpg

Double-take!

photo 050_zpskdewzb0e.jpg

photo 051_zpszolw8mit.jpg

photo 052_zpszdt4mcdr.jpg

photo 053_zpsvnj3tepp.jpg

photo 054_zpsny7oy0q8.jpg

photo 055_zps92pspeih.jpg

photo 056_zpswscmakjp.jpg

photo 057_zpsukepuirl.jpg

photo 058_zpshx0e6hgh.jpg

photo 059_zpsq0bfs0uj.jpg

photo 060_zpsiwmbllrb.jpg

photo 061_zpsefss2mhj.jpg

photo 063_zpseqz0qi08.jpg

photo 064_zps0crlqkot.jpg

photo 067_zpsc8cioczv.jpg

photo 068_zpsaodjbc1h.jpg

photo 069_zpsj1vy1aol.jpg

photo 070_zpsszjffzrb.jpg

photo 071_zpskumae4zv.jpg

photo 072_zpstwahocll.jpg

The lady on the course I interacted with and her son

photo 073_zps1bcnz7tz.jpg

She and her family

photo 087_zpscr7ods5o.jpg

photo 074_zpsvabzsen4.jpg

photo 075_zpsjynnztle.jpg

photo 076_zps6yeyvrcx.jpg

photo 078_zps7lwaqaot.jpg

photo 079_zpsna2lqrxl.jpg

photo 080_zpsh4em2abt.jpg

My 'looks-like-a-model'' running friend Donna with HM finisher medal

photo 081_zpsommkgpfh.jpg

Sun behind us, facing the camera...

photo 082_zpserknv3h1.jpg

Us facing the sun....OK, that's more clear...

photo 085_zpsdirzqbs7.jpg

Camera-shy little guy....actually I think the sun got to his eyes as they were all facing into the sun...

photo 084_zpsrb7hm7td.jpg

Work it, work it....looking good!      photo 086_zpsvrfknuug.jpg

Lovely lady half-marathon finisher with her family who all came out to support her....good on them!

photo 088_zpsywbogf0d.jpg

Yay!  Another medal for the cancer kids at San Antonio Children's Hospital

photo 077_zpsbgim6hwi.jpg

EPILOG

Always a very nice event with lots of friendly participants, family members, supporters, etc., turning out for this one.  I've done this one several times in the past (4 times I think, but I may not remember correctly).  Post-race, the beer is always cold, the frozen yogurt is always delicious, and the people are always fun.  A good event to have on your race calendar for Texas summer.  Much thanks to AthleteGuild who did their usual great job of course set up, timing, etc - and Happy Birthday to my AthleteGuild 'running crush", Sherry Purnell who always looks 30-something!  and Mucho Gracias to Orange Leaf and all the other sponsors; and all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, etc., who were out there for us making this one happen for all we participants.

Next race for me:  Too Hot To Handle 5K on July 12.  Yep, a double-race weekend for me for the July 11 - July 12 weekend.  Fun stuff!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Frozen yogurt sounds like a great post-race treat. Cold!  Congratulations on the weight loss and the speedy finish. Good luck with tomorrow's race.

Little Blue

Fun!  Bub didn't you get an after picture of the 'here he comes again' guy?

Your pal Bernadette is in great shape for whatever age she is .. or for any age, for that matter!

PADRunner

Nice race, good luck today.

Docket_Rocket

Nice race and RR!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I've done this one several times in the past (4 times I think, but I may not remember correctly). 

How could you know?? lol

We'll forgive you if the number is not correct.