Beginners and Beyond

NRR: OWTC nation's tallest? I call BS! (Read 73 times)

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/12/travel/one-world-trade-center-tallest-us-building/index.html?hpt=hp_t5

World's tallest building should be based on usable floor space! Tallest structure? No problem. Give it to a building that uses a decoration to compose a third of its height. But tallest building should be just that. *grump*

edit: nation's tallest building.

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

delicate flower

What do you have against fighting terrorism?

<3

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Heard they were deciding today but just walked in the door from a long day of work and hadn't heard the results. Must say, I was rooting for the Freedom Tower myself. But I'm very biased because I've watched it grow up so to speak....seeing a building day by day go from nothing to the tallest building in the nation has been really cool, and emotional because of what it symbolizes, and every day I see it I am proud. Happy it is officially the tallest.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Doesn't the Sears Tower count the height of it's antena thingies?  I know they changed the name.  Don't care.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

Doesn't the Sears Tower count the height of it's antena thingies?  I know they changed the name.  Don't care.

They have never counted the antenna on Sear's because it is not part of the building and was added after construction. My beef is that all these new towers going up artificially increase their height by including these add-ons in the original design. I understand the new WTC included it in it's design but it also had a planned ornamental covering. When they decided to scrap the covering the antenna became just another antenna and shouldn't be counted.

As for the name: I don't care if they paid to change the name. They didn't pay me. It has been the Sear's Tower for decades and will always be the Sear's Tower to me. lots of other Chicagoans feel the same.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Meh, I like it.  Especially the 1,776 feet part.  I say go for it & call it the real deal.

Lots of bad happened to make this one good thing happen.

Randy

Walk-Jogger

John Stuart covered this nicely on the Daily show last night; but he really hit it out of the park setting you Chicagan's straight about your silly deep dish pizza . . . Joking

(Edited to add a link to the video)

Retired &  Loving It

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Chicago = best pizza on the planet

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

Meh, I like it.  Especially the 1,776 feet part.  I say go for it & call it the real deal.

Lots of bad happened to make this one good thing happen.

I have nothing against the concept or the reason of the new building. i just don't like the committee decision. If they were going for the tallest building title then they should have added more floors to the design and minimized the antenna.

Hip Redux

John Stuart covered this nicely on the Daily show last night; but he really hit it out of the park setting you Chicagan's straight about your silly deep dish pizza . . . Joking

That was great!  A casserole and sauce whore lol

happylily

Chicago = best pizza on the planet

I tried it for the first time when I was there for the marathon and it was great! But it's like eating two pizzas, the thing is so thick... I could only eat half of mine and had the other half wrapped up, with napkins and utensils and I gave it to a homeless man on my way back to my hotel. The servings in Chicago's restaurants were huuuge!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

I tried it for the first time when I was there for the marathon and it was great! But it's like eating two pizzas, the thing is so thick... I could only eat half of mine and had the other half wrapped up, with napkins and utensils and I gave it to a homeless man on my way back to my hotel. The servings in Chicago's restaurants were huuuge!

I have done that plenty of times, there are always homeless guys hanging out outside the good places, they know the drill.

And J-Stew's bit was funny ("tomato soup in a bread bowl"), but he's out of his gourd to prefer a folded over cheese & sauce sprinkled sheet of newspaper over that densely packed flavor bomb of deliciousness.

Dave

Oh yeah - a building is a building, and an antenna is an antenna. You'd think people in NY would know the difference. If they were going to play it that way, they could've saved themselves a lot of time & money and just built a 1,776-foot tall antenna.

Dave