Beginners and Beyond

Serious streaking (Read 67 times)

Little Blue

From our local news:

After 30 years and thousands of miles, Raleigh runner not slowing down

Raleigh, N.C. — Barbara Latta celebrated a unique anniversary Thursday, marking 30 years of running every single day.

The 72-year-old Raleigh woman laced up her sneakers for her first official run Dec. 5, 1983, and hasn't missed a day since.

“It just feels wonderful. It’s unbelievable, awesome,” she said, reflecting on her track record.

Latta said she didn't start out 30 years ago with some master plan. Running just happened.

“I got in the habit after a week, and I just kept it up,” she said. “I was afraid, I think, that if I missed a day, I wouldn’t start again.”

For nearly 11,000 days straight, Latta hasn't stopped. Even on difficult days that would make anyone want to quit – including the death of her father – she kept going.

“My father was 93 years old, and he had not been doing well for the last couple of weeks,” she said. “He died during the night.”

The next morning, with little sleep and numb with grief, Latta laced up her sneakers and started her morning how she always does.

It was the hardest run she had ever taken. “I just kept running and running and running until I was out of tears and out of energy.”

But on Thursday, Latta was surrounded by friends as she ran to celebrate an almost accidental accomplishment. She has run in all 50 states and seven continents.

“I’ve enjoyed it,” she said. “It’s just been a really fun trip.”

Pinktastic

Wow!  That's incredible!   Good for her!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Docket_Rocket

Like Sarah said, incredible.  And I don't see a problem with running the day her father died.  To me, running is a lifeline and a way to deal with your problems, so for me, it would seem logical she wants to run on that day too.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Antipodean

That is amazing, but how did she do it? Doesn't she get sick, or busy with life like the rest of us? And the weather? She must have an incredible work ethic!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Rondog65

Wow, I feel like a slacker!

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

RSX

That is amazing, but how did she do it? Doesn't she get sick, or busy with life like the rest of us? And the weather? She must have an incredible work ethic!

I know someone on the top 20 men's list. He has a treadmill in his home for the bad weather days. He said that he doesn't get sick much, but will still run. He manages not to get bad injuries, and is a BQ runner. 1 question I had for him was when he traveled, and he said that he usually runs early am so things don't conflict. All those people are amazing.

Little Blue

Yep, what about sick and injured?  The weather isn't as much of a problem, we realistically have only a few days in the winter where the mere mortals refuse to run. Some winters, not at all.  And the heat is bad, but I guess she's used to it.

She must be mighty, mighty healthy!

LRB

Like Sarah said, incredible.  And I don't see a problem with running the day her father died. 

+1

There are not many better ways to center yourself.