Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins Love Valentine's Day! (Read 38 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Docket: Wow, that is definitely a treadmill day. That is just nuts!

Dad on the run.

Jack - that book has some good info. The first week I did pure paleo and that was rough. But now I keep some carbs and like I said I don't do 100% paleo all the time. I've not really noticed any difference in my runs but then again I don't run fast or long. I have noticed a huge difference in how I feel though. Eating paleo I never feel bloated or too full (expect when I cheat) and I really do have more energy. Honestly though I was like a gallon of milk a week kind of guy and I really don't miss it at all. Beer though... Not giving that up.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Jack have fun at Zion!!! hear it's beautiful. My next race is March 3rd. A 5K. Won't "race" it just run easy and have fun!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jen16226

Good Morning and Happy Valentine's Day to all of you.

Last night was just hectic as could be for me, so needless to say, I didn't get my 3 miles in, but did get it done this morning instead.

DH got home last night from California and most likely will leave again by Saturday, but at least he is home for a couple of days and this evening we are going to dinner with some friends.

With his coming home, I made sure to have one of his favorite meals for dinner (the poor guy is on the road weeks at a time, so I always try to have his favorite homecooked meals when he is home for a few days) and in between cooking that, I also had to bake cupcakes for DS3's class party.  I am happy, yet sad at the same time that this is the last elementary party for us since he moves on to the JRHS next year.

I received part of my present this morning....2 pairs of Zensah Calf Sleeves....1 in green, 1 in yellow.  He said something else is in transit, but this was plenty for me.  For him, I bought him a visa gift card for him to use for golfing when we go to Myrtle later this year.  He couldn't pin down where he is golfing, so I couldn't get him a gift certificate for a specific place.  Oh well.

OK....gotta run.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

Docket_Rocket

That is our normal rainy weather, LOL.  Today, the rain has not started so I'm not sure if it's going to bhe like that.  Hoping not, but holding not much hope.

And what is this treadmill you speak of?  I don't have one, so I either run or not.  Which is why I ran around the time of the hurricane.

Docket: Wow, that is definitely a treadmill day. That is just nuts!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Jack, are you the one in Cali?  I forgot where you're from?  Do you know how's the weather around mid March in LA?  Somebody is doing a marathon there.Blush

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

28th anniversary today for me and Gail.  Gail and I met in Hawaii on June 29, 1984  - yes, I remember the exact day cuz that day changed my life forever and for the better - at Moose McGillicuddy's - doesn't that sound like an appropriate place for me, Big grin - the local bar-and-grill near the University of Hawaii.  I was assigned to Hawaii with the Air Force and she was living and working there after deciding she needed a change from Montana.  As soon as we began talking, I KNEW she was the one.  It took Gail JUST a tad longer to realize that........it took me THREE whole days to convince her to move in with me.  On February 14, 1985, we were married in Paradise Park in Hawaii.  Our wedding photo...we looked a little different back then..Joking

Today, we started the day running - literally, lol - getting up at 5:15 a.m. and then we were off to the YMCA where Gail did a cycling class and I did 3.4 miles in the area around the Y.  I did a loop through Brackenridge Park, a park that is adjacent to the San Antonio Zoo.  It's a bit creepy running in there alone in the dark....no traffic, no other people....but also was pretty neat, made me feel like I "owned" the place, my personal realm to run in!  At one point, as I passed along the fence-line of the Zoo, I was "cheered on" by several birds in the aviary there, funny.  Nice hot shower back at the Y - and it was welcomed because my running temp this morning was 37 degrees!  Quite a change from my 71 degree temp on Tuesday.  Then I took Gail to breakfast at  our favorite breakfast place, IHOP, and then back home, where we are now just 'relaxing" and enjoying some time together.   We both have today and tomorrow off, for our anniversary today and for Gail's birthday tomorrow.

FYI:  our local Y's are pretty impressive.  $40 a month for a 1-person membership and for that you get to use ANY of the Y's in the city, have free access to all the classes any of the Y's provide (yoga, ta-chi, kick-boxing, spinning, step-aerobics, cycling classes, core training, and many more), to all the pools, weight equipment, cardio equipment, rock climbing wall, etc.  Lockers provided - full lockers that will accommodate even large gym bag - towel service provided for showers, and the showers are all private showers and very roomy and I also saw that each one had  a row of 3 bottles in them - body wash; conditioner; and shampoo.  Very nice!   If you are looking for a reasonably priced gym and have a Y in your area, definitely check your local Y out, you might be pleasantly surprised.  And if you are a member, there is also an "AWAY" designation on your member ID, so if you travel, you can visit any other Y in any other area.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Docket: yes, I am from CA. The marathon is March 17 and the weather in March could be anything from cold, wind, and rain to temps in the 80s. Two years ago (I think) it was so cold and rainy that many runners got hypothermia.

Scotty: happy anniversary!!

Docket_Rocket

Scotty, happy anniversary!

Jack, so long as I don't get the 80s like over here, I'll be happy.  Except the hypothermia part, haha.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

FYI:  our local Y's are pretty impressive.  $40 a month for a 1-person membership and for that you get to use ANY of the Y's in the city, have free access to all the classes any of the Y's provide (yoga, ta-chi, kick-boxing, spinning, step-aerobics, cycling classes, core training, and many more), to all the pools, weight equipment, cardio equipment, rock climbing wall, etc.  Lockers provided - full lockers that will accommodate even large gym bag - towel service provided for showers, and the showers are all private showers and very roomy and I also saw that each one had  a row of 3 bottles in them - body wash; conditioner; and shampoo.  Very nice!   If you are looking for a reasonably priced gym and have a Y in your area, definitely check your local Y out, you might be pleasantly surprised.  And if you are a member, there is also an "AWAY" designation on your member ID, so if you travel, you can visit any other Y in any other area.

Happy Anniversary, Scotty and Gail.

You guys get a better deal at the "Y" than we can get in my area.  Here, a single membership is $62/month.  There is a brand-new YMCA right across the street from where I work.  It looks beautiful, but my membership at LA Fitness is only $35/month.  For the few times per month that I use the gym, I stayed with the less expensive option.

What's everyone have for lunch?  I already ate mine -- half a turkey & cheese sandwich, pretzels, and a Diet Coke.  I also ate my little serving of almonds, which was supposed to be for afternoon snacking.  I"m still hungry, but all I have left is a banana with ~1 T of peanut butter.  I'm trying to hold out a little before I eat that.  That Valentine's heart full of chocolates waiting for me at home stands no chance...

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jerry - Happy V-day to you too.  The place I want to take P3 is over an hour away, and they aren't taking reservations.  So, we decided to go out this weekend.  I like to get dressed up from time to time, and I have a tailored shirt I'd like to put on since the weight loss, and a pair of pants that actually fit :-)

Kristin - Those are some great looking shoes.  Now you just need to get them outside, and get them dirty.

Bin - I hope you like the new shoes.  I've heard great things about those, but they just don't work for me.  I need more support.

Phillie - That's a great start to Valentine's Day!

HopesMom - A concert sounds like a great V-day date.  He must have hidden that card really well.  Thanks for the votes!

Docket - Hopefully the storms will take some of the humidity out of the air.  Rain run, or dreadmill?  Hmmm....  Wait, I just read your second post.  STAY INSIDE!!!  We don't want you to wash away.

Zel - That's awesome.  I can tell when my form is right, and everything just feels so much better.  Thanks for sharing the photo.  You rock.  Enjoy your run and your V-day!

Jack - I'd kill for a long weekend like that.  That sounds amazing.  Don't worry about not being on FB.  I only got on it when I was trying to follow my nephew's sporting careers.  They're on the other side of the country, and it's hard to keep track when you're constantly setting up google alerts.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Singer who runs a smidge

I had steak and a baked potato, or at least half a baked potato.  Good stuff!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thanks for starting us out, Gustav!  Hope the new shoes work out for you!

Well, Bin, it is typhoon season for you over there now, isn't it?  Aren't you in the Asia Pacific part of the world?  I recall when it rained over there when I was there, it REALLY rained.  Couldn't even see across the street sometimes, it was coming down so hard.  Hope it clears up for you for a while to get some miles in.  Gangnam?  Sounds like a relationship of gingham.  Wink

Put my two cents in for you, Awood!  Good luck!

Ruth Chris Steakhouse, nice, Jerry.  Expensive, IMHO, and kind of over-rated, at least here in San Antonio (we can find lots of other places here locally  that are just as nice and have steaks at more reasonable prices), but a very nice place.  Glad you remembered the roses and glad you followed Step's advice and backed away from the Dollar Store roses... Wink  And remember, today is Valentine's Day, so you have to run hand-in-hand for your miles today...Big grin

Nice shoe swag, Kristin!  Of course shoes would look a lot better in that photo if they had your Great Legs coming up from them.. Joking  I used to wear the Mizuno Wave Creation, but they have gotten so darn expensive in the last few years!

Aww, how nice, Phillie!  Bet that made you smile!  Happy V-Day!

Enjoy your card opening ceremony later, HsM!  I gave Gail her cards this morning before we went to the gym - two Valentines Day ones and two anniversary ones. Apparently, this started her day off right, cuz she had BIG smiles for me after she found a gift certificate in one for a "pampered" pedicure/manicure treatment (warm towels on the feet, etc; the 'full monte") and a gift card in another one to one of her favorite stores.  Every once in a while this old doggie gets it right, lol, guess I've managed to learn something after 28 years.   I'm already good for her birthday, thank goodness, cuz the Y membership was her early birthday present.

Yeah, Miami thunderstorms are no wimp storms, Damaris.  Stay safe down there!  How is your cat with the closed eye?  Did you have to take it to the vet?

Congrats on your running progress, Zelanie. Heck, I've always appreciated your form.  Big grin  Enjoy the group run tonite, and the time after with your DH.

Heading to Zion tonite...I am assuming, Jack, that is Utah and not Israel, if you're going to be there by tomorrow..  Isn't there a ton of snow up in Utah right now?  {{{{{{SHUDDER!}}}}}  Have fun, stay safe!

Jen, enjoy your time with your DH while he is there with you!

Wow, that sounds a bit expensive to me, Margo, for the Y.  Must be California pricing. Wink  I don't blame you for staying with the other option.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Thanks, Scotty. We are leaving in the morning after taking DDs to school. It is about about a five hour drive. I am lucky to have great parents who are very involved with their grandkids. They live around the corner from us and that's where the kids and the dog are staying. There shouldn't be too much snow in the canyon, but there could be at the top. Hopefully not because we are on a mission to do that 16 mile hike.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

By the way...we lead by one like :-)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013