Beginners and Beyond

Junk miles (Read 131 times)

PsychRunning

Yesterday I did 6.5 miles (1 mile warm up; 2 mes@HMGP; 2x1 miles@10k pace; 800m@5k pace; one mile cool down). Today just don't have a run Left in me. By working too hard yesterday and not being able to do an easy workout, was my overdoing it junk.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

No, I don't think your working too hard makes yesterday's session junk.  It should show you the importance of hitting your paces in quality workouts so that you don't lose out on overall mileage though.  Still, you got the stimulus from the quality work.  I suppose there is a line where the miles weren't as effective as possible if you didn't spend the right amount of time at lactate threshold or VO2 max.  Even then, the session may have been less effective, but not junk.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

PsychRunning

I did hit my paces. I just don't think I was ready for that kind of workout. I hope I am recovered mf or tomorrow's quality run

xor

That is a rather aggressive workout (though I don't know your goal).  It isn't junk per se... but yeah, you do something like that, it is natural you might need some rest afterward.

Why did you do that workout?

PsychRunning

I did hit my paces. I just don't think I was ready for that kind of workout. I hope I am recovered mf or tomorrow's quality run

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I think junk miles would have been forcing yourself out the door for a crappy run today, when rest is better serving you!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

PsychRunning

SRL: it was part of the Ryan Hall HM plan. I was getbored almost thought twice about it, but was bored with all the 800s and 1000s I had been doing.

xor

SRL: it was part of the Ryan Hall HM plan. I was getbored almost thought twice about it, but was bored with all the 800s and 1000s I had been doing.

Yes, variety... ladders and whatnot... are good.  What Mary Jane the Fifth said.  If you feel pooped after that workout, which makes sense, rest is good.  Forcing yourself out to "get in the miles" is usually not a great idea.  (it can be good for those focusing on long ultras... which you aren't... but then they probably wouldn't have done that type of speedwork).

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

SR glad to see your back.

All my miles are junk since I have no plan to race this year.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

xor

Not junk; treasure.  Enjoy running for fun and fitness.  And (see: treasure), if you change your mind and choose to race at some point, you won't be starting from zero.

Village people

I think junk miles would have been forcing yourself out the door for a crappy run today, when rest is better serving you!

Then what is a recovery run?

My running log doesn't have a junk mile option, so I don't know if they really exist.

PsychRunning

^ when you are too pooped out to do a recovery run.

Village people

^ when you are too pooped out to do a recovery run.

Gotcha. I am kind of a slacker, I guess I have never been there,

happylily

I run 20 recovery miles per week on average. To some people, it seems like junk miles. But my weekly average in 80 miles. I do tempo runs and intervals, hills and a LR that is 20 miles on average. The purpose of my "junk miles" is not only to allow me to recover for the next hard workout, but also, it has made my legs resistant to fatigue. I used to run 22 miles on a Sunday and my legs would be sore the rest of the day and part of the next one, but no longer. If I'm tired or sore, it will be because of my heart, or my back and shoulders. Never my legs. For a marathon runner, "junk" miles are important.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Recovery miles aren't junk miles to me. I do a lot of recovery miles. But it's junk when you can't even muddle through a recovery run--then, I think you're better off just plain resting.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54