Beginners and Beyond

SaturDAILY for Perspiring Penguins (Read 29 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jerry - Take it easy friend.  I hope the hip starts feeling better, and you can get back to some enjoyable running again soon.

T-rod - Do you need to borrow my mad max bike?  It's a road monster.

tracilynn - I hope the myrtls help.  We need a healthy penguin population.

Docket - How's the hubby liking it, now that he has a race under his belt?

Zel - You must be starting to feel better if you're planning 5 mile runs again.  Good to hear.

Jack - Great pace on those 11 miles.  I think that deserves a beer.

Jerry - I have one pair of shoes with a lower heal drop, and I wanted to answer your question, BUT I don't seem to wear the heals on my shoes much as all.  Most of my wear seems to be in the forefoot.  I know my heal makes contact first, but I don't think I'm really absorbing any impact with it.  At least that's what my shoes would indicate.

Baconista - Sounds like it might be a smaller race, or everyone's just waiting to sign up at the last minute.  Our LRS has a store dog too.  I love that.  Good luck with your race, and have a great time.

Lauren - I used to run in all cotton too.  I look back on that now, and it blows my mind.  Now, I'm super picky on what I run in.  On long runs, I have to wear a particular pair of shorts, and if I don't have the right shirt I'll just run shirtless rather than risk any discomfort.  It's really kind of funny, but it makes a difference.

Bin - With the air issues you're having, squeezing in 8 miles is pretty impressive.  I hope things clear up soon.

AFM - I got in a little over 14 miles today, and it felt great.  I'm so glad that it did feel good too.  I'm at 55.9 miles for the week, which is new territory.  I'm going to squeeze in a couple of recovery miles tomorrow, and then do a run/walk with the C25K group of our running club and see if I can help them out.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Sloooow.

Jerry- Good luck with the mile tomorrow, will keep my fingers crossed for you. With a heat index of 101F and dew point at 74F here, TAKE IT! Take it away, please!

Tomas- Sounds like fun to me!

Traci- Enjoy your rest day.

Docket- Hope the run and weights goes well later.

Zelanie- Hopefully it will cool down for your run later.

Jack- Nice work on the 11! Have a great day Smile

Baconista- Good luck with your 5K!

Lauren- Good job on getting out, even in the gross heat! I never thought to check out ebay for running stuff, nice haul!

Bin- Is the pollution getting any better yet? 8 miles is awesome.

Kristin- What a coincidence, short recovery runs are my favourite too Smile Have fun at the country club!

Awood- You're a running machine on a roll! Helping people with C25K sounds like a great thing to do.

AFM- I need to grocery shop today, I need to run, I'm not sure which order to do it in yet. It's already 95 outside and I really, really don't want to go outside at all. I'm going through my horrible yearly summer depression where I get very homesick. I haven't been out since Monday because it's so hot, so I have cabin fever. I miss home, I miss cooler weather. I freaking hate the heat. I can't take the kids to the park because it's so hot. Whine whine whine. Have a great day all Smile

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Coralie - It sounds to me like you need a swimming pool STAT!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Perspiring is right!  Our ACTUAL temp is going to hit 104 today!   I got up at 6:30 am. this morning, went to the Y, started from there at 7:30 in the morning - and it was already 80 degrees here - and did a 3.3. mile loop from the Y, through Brackenridge Park, and back to the Y.  T. When I was going through a small neighborhood right before I entered the park, I suddenly got a whiff of this wonderful smell...and stopped to see what it was.  This  one lady's house had a very nice garden near the road that was in full bloom with all kinds of flowers, including some roses...so for today's run, I literally stopped to smell the roses, lol.  There was also the biggest darn Siamese cat I've ever seen, lying in the earth under some bushes in the garden.  Very friendly, came out to see me and let me pet her when I stopped.  Then on to the park. The park is SO nice, lots and lots of trails and shade trees, making it feel cooler in there.  Passed by the egrets near the zoo.  By the zoo train tracks (tourist train) met a bulldog - so ugly he was beautiful, lol - gave him a treat and got a big facelick from him..and a nice whiff of his bulldog breath..not as sweet smelling as the roses, lol.

After I got back to the Y, I did a weight training circuit.  Being in the a/c after the run felt really good too. So I had a pretty full morning's workouts.  Now I'm sitting in the house in the a/c being lazy, watching TV, and it is getting hotter by the minute outside.  Gail and I may take in a movie later.   She is kind of interested in that new Sandra Bullock movie.  Today is the 29th anniversary of the day we met, and she woke up to find some cards waiting for her in her bathroom, so started out her day with a smile.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - That sounds like a great day.  Kudos to you!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Docket_Rocket

Awood, he loves it, but he is not as gung ho as me, so if it's raining or it's too bad out there, he would not.  Yet.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Enjoy the anniversary Scotty.  We just saw "Before Midnight", but I wouldn't recommend it for an anniversary. Took a long walk this morning and had to wear a sweatshirt to stay warm.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

What is Scotty going to do with no races this weekend????   I enjoyed sleeping in on a Saturday for a change! Big grin  Enjoy your RD, Jerry.   Had to wear a sweatshirt to stay warm?  What the heck is up with the weather in Chicago?

If you get it going, enjoy the bike ride, Tomas!

Right with you there, Traci, August is our hottest month too, and we're already in the 100s at the end of June.  It is going to be a hot summer!  And expensive with the A/C running nonstop!  I am really sorry your ITB issues are still bothering you!  I sure hope you find a solution soon!  Well, you may not be able to run yet, but you still look great! Big grin  Maybe try some pool running, since it is nonimpact, that might not bother your ITB.

Good luck with Mission Hubby Run, Damaris!  Your mission, Docket Rocket, should you choose to accept it, is to run the streets of Miami with Hubby and show GREAT patience by maintaining his pace, no matter how much you want to reach out and Gibbs Slap him in the back of his head in an effort to get him into the next gear.  Should you be caught in the act of head-slapping him, or lose patience, naturally the P.I.F. (Penguins Instigator Force) will disavow all knowledge of your assigned mission.  A penguin will come along and "krill' this message in 10 seconds....

Zelanie, what is considered a 'heat-wave' in Oregon?  Enjoy your conference!

Good luck to your daughters at the swim meet, Jack!

Hope your race went well, Baconista!

Happy birthday to your nephew, Bin!  Wow, chalet with buffett...how long does it take to eat a whole house and a buffet?

to replace some of my older, all-cotton running/workout clothes   Running in cotton..that's brave, Lauren!  Congrats on the new stuff!  Way to get your miles in this morning.

Golf?  You're actually going to watch golf, Kristin?  I may go out later and watch my neighbor paint his house.  I bet it will be just as interesting. Wink  Oh well, each to his/her own.  Congrats on getting your miles in this morning.

Glad you had a great run, Awood!  Congrats on your high mileage week!

posted by Awood:  Coralie - It sounds to me like you need a swimming pool STAT!  +1.  Where is 'home' for you, Coralie, that you have much cooler weather there?  The downside is there probably is REAL winter there too.  Snow...YUK!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

I need to get on here more often, miss you guys!

Perfect title for today, it's only in the high 80s, but the dew point is 77*.  When I got back from my run my wife asked me if it had rained while I was out there, it hadn't, but I was completely soaked and dripping wet, fun stuff. Smile

Jerry, I love my Kinvaras, but I can't speak for the heel wear, since I'm a midfoot striker.  I'll wear a hole right under the ball of my foot and the heel will still look new. lol

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

From the Internet.

While on the subject of shoes....do low heel drop shoes, like the Kinvara's have less weardown on the heels?

I've been pondering this all day now, haha.. Supposedly low drop shoes encourage you to adopt a more midfoot strike, so if that actually happens then I'd expect to see less heel wear. But I'd think it's more a matter of the strike than the shoe itself, if that makes sense - as in, they'd be just as prone to wearing down if you heel strike and continue to land on your heel while wearing them. But I'm totally speculating here.

Docket_Rocket

Haha, Scotty.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hey everyone!

I need to get on here more often, miss you guys!

Perfect title for today, it's only in the high 80s, but the dew point is 77*.  When I got back from my run my wife asked me if it had rained while I was out there, it hadn't, but I was completely soaked and dripping wet, fun stuff. Smile

Jerry, I love my Kinvaras, but I can't speak for the heel wear, since I'm a midfoot striker.  I'll wear a hole right under the ball of my foot and the heel will still look new. lol

Dave, I'm surprised your Kinvaras even touch the ground !!!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Lauren, don't forget to post pictures of your new non-cotton eBay running outfits when you get them. Sounds like you got a good deal.

Sloooow.

Scotty- North-West England the first 19 years of my life! 70F was considered a hot summer day, 80F was in a heatwave. Apparently I need to move to Chicago!

Other half is outside building a monstrosity of a barn shed, I've just been out with him for a little while. 12 mosquito bites on my legs. Should make my run fun! About to get on the treadmill.

Sloooow.

I like Fartleks Big grin

2 miles warm-up, then 1 minute @ 7mph, 2 minute recovery @ 5mph x 6, 1/2 mile cool down. 4.1 miles total.

Total for the week, 21.9 miles. Tomorrow is my rest day.