Beginners and Beyond

Race Report with LOTS of photos: CASA Super Hero 5K and 1K (Read 56 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

Race #51 for me for 2013. CASA Superhero Run - http://www.casasuperherorun.com/ - included a 1K, starting at 8 a.m., and a 5K, starting at 8:30 a.m.  Event supported  the CASA programs of Travis and Williamson Counties.  Start and finish at Mueller Hangar at Austin, which was part of Bergstrom Airport, the area now being developed into a residence community with apartments, stores, etc..   I don't know exactly how many participants there were, but I think there was close to 1,000 doing the 5K and  a whole lot of folks and kids doing the 1K.   We also got lucky, it had been raining most of the day Friday in our whole region. That 'blew out' by Saturday morning and also brought cooler temps.  We had a kind of overcast day, with some sunshine, a nice breeze, a temp of around 69 or so at start time, and dew point under 70.  It felt quite nice out there.  I was feeling pretty good and even with my photo stops along the way I managed to finish in 32:56 chip time.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

I love doing this race each year.  Costumes encouraged for this one and there is a costume contest and lots of folks show up in some very original costumes.  I took so many photos pre-start I thought my camera battery might die out before the race, lol.  But my faithful old 'el cheapo' camera held on and I was able to do my usual photo regimen, before the start, on the course, and post-race "Happy Finisher" photos.   I call them "Happy Finisher" photos because it seems like a lot more folks are smiling post-race, than pre-race and during. Joking

Before The Race

Since the event was in Austin, I was up at 5 a.m. in San Antonio for the 74 mile drive from my house to Mueller Hangar.  Got there in good order, and daylight was just breaking after I parked the car.  Got my bib and shirt and then took some pre-start photos. It was still a tad dark in places - especially in the hangar area - but I think the photos came out okay.

Your host for this report, with two lovely ladies

Some of our great volunteers who had to be out there WAY early for us all.

The hangar area was located near a nice man-made lake area

There was even an 'artsy' steer nearby

Some of the participants pre-race

Leggo Batman and Superman

The younger folks probably don't even know who this is....Mighty Mouse!

On The Course

The 1K walk started before we 5K folks went and part or their route was along the lake

Then we 5K folks lined up..people ahead of me in the pack (1st photo) and behind me

And away we went!

After The Race

Got some water and then wandered around the area, getting photos of the folks with goodies for us and the "Happy Finishers" and supporters and volunteers.

There was a 'monster bouncy slide" for the kiddies

Free "cool treat" after the run

Some post-run liquid and munchies

Two of my running buds

This hottie was our MC for the event

She graciously let me have a photo with her

As did these Super Ladies

And more....

This lady, an Army lieutenant, ran the 5K in full uniform...and she still beat me in, even wearing those boots!

Darkling Duck won Best Costume

Two lovely ladies and their sidekick.  The lovely lady in the middle was our Race Director.   Well done!

Epilogue

Just a really fun event, one I try to do each year I can, schedule permitting.   Last year our course took  us on some sidewalks along the lake near the finish - I think because some work was being done on the roads around there - and it got a bit crowded.  This year the roads were open and the course was much better, we all had lots of room to move around with impeding anyone.  Kudos and thanks to all the volunteers getting all this organized for us, being out there along the way, cheering for us, manning water stops (there were actually 2), and so forth and thank to all the police officers out there providing road safety for us.  I think Rogue Running set up the course for us and Cadence Sports did the timing.  This was a well organized and smoothly run event from what I saw, and the end result is that because of the hard work of all those folks, we participants get to have lots of fun at this one!  And it is a fun one, and a colorful one, an event that will continue to be on my race calendar in the future.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

slowrunningjulie

I was there! My kids ran the 1K. I didn't see you though. Super fun event (pun totally intended)!

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome RR and awesome picture Scotty!!!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Sloooow.

I had to stare for like 4 or 5 minutes... but I finally figured out that guy was Mighty Mouse Wink

You have such run races in your area, you got a great time and thanks for the write up and pictures!

meaghansketch

What a fun-looking race!  Such great costumes, and you got such great photos of them!  Loved the RR!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

What were the temps like?  Doesn't look like it was ridiculously hot???

Oh and too bad there aren't very many pics, otherwise we'd have gotten a good idea of what the racwaWas like and the people that were there.WinkCool

Randy

PADRunner

Another great race and pics as usual, and great time to boot.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Looks like a great time, as usual, Scotty. Mighty Mouse was definitely cool!

GinnyinPA

Looks like a really fun event.  I'm glad it wasn't rained out after all.

Zelanie

Those are some incredible costumes, and a great turnout!  Thanks for sharing!

Cool costumes, nice job Scotty.

SheCan

Omgosh, everyone was so cute!  Love these pictures, though I'm a bit disappointed you didn't go as Hong Kong Phooey.  Glad you had such a good time, and wowsers @ the huge turnout!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Omgosh, everyone was so cute!  Love these pictures, though I'm a bit disappointed you didn't go as Hong Kong Phooey.  Glad you had such a good time, and wowsers @ the huge turnout!

Well, I was wrong....it turned out they had a lot more than I estimated.  2,500 total for the 5K and 1K, their biggest turn-out ever since this event started, zowie!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Love the pics. Looks like a large percentage of runners took the superhero theme to heart and dressed in costume, except the army lieutenant who wore her everyday superhero clothes.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Great report!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page