Beginners and Beyond

Planning for that first time... (Read 210 times)

Anomalous

How far out in advance did you select your marathon training program after registering for your first marathon?

Thanks!

-Nikki

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

Don't call me Buttercup!

Have never run a marathon, but I picked my HM training plan before ever registering for a HM.  LOL 

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Docket_Rocket

How far out in advance did you select your marathon training program after registering for your first marathon?

Thanks!

-Nikki

I probably had it before I signed up.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks!

-Nikki

I didn't have time to select a training program because I signed up for my first two weeks before the race. 

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Runshortii

I'm tentatively planning on running a fall marathon and I'm already looking at plans lol

Anomalous

Okay. I don't feel so dorky then for finding one a year out. lol! 

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

Anomalous

I didn't have time to select a training program because I signed up for my first two weeks before the race. 

Shocked

Docket_Rocket

Okay. I don't feel so dorky then for finding one a year out. lol! 

I thought we were going to tell you that you were late.  Glad to see you already selected it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Shocked

If you've got a good enough base, you can get away with that. 

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Anomalous

I thought we were going to tell you that you were late.  Glad to see you already selected it.

I'm great at procrastinating, but not this time. Wink

I asked the question because I told someone that I had already found the plan I wanted to use and was sort of shocked when they mentioned not even looking at any yet. This person is registered for a first full as well and is certainly not like George.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Never ran a marathon....but already have a plan for my June 10 miler (Hal Higdon Half Marathon Novice 1) and researching a plan to take me from there to my first HM in October. 10 months out and Im already anxious to know my training schedule haha.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I ran a 20 miler one day and thought "that's not that bad", that night I signed up for a marathon five weeks out. George is right... if you've got the base you don't need much notice (granted I didn't run very well but I still finished/enjoyed it).

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them