Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins All Have Secret Talents! (Read 175 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thank you to all of the penguins encouraging me to stay strong, and on the couch.  It's ridiculous that I need flock of penguins, and the author of a running book to tell me that it's okay to take a week off, but it really does help.  I've been pretty stir crazy, and it's only been 2 days going on 3.

Here's the good news.  I've had a few other niggles that I really didn't even care about because I was certain they were not worth worrying about.  They seem to have gone away as well.  Who knows what I'm going to feel like when I start running again?

Hey...question...!?!?!  (I'm using more punctuation these days)  When I start running again, I'm wondering if I should make it a short test run or just jump into my schedule?  Do I do something like a reverse taper?  After only a week off, I wouldn't think that I'd have to rebuild a base.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Resting time is good sometimes.  We all need it from time to time.  You'll come back stronger than ever.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Bin- I run 10 miles per week....don't laugh! And thanks for the link!

You and my fiance are at a similar level right now.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Bin Running

Kristin, 10M is fine.. Smile

Awood, when I took 2 weeks off due to traveling in Jun, I jumped right into it.. but the 1st run is normally a little tougher than what you would have remember.. Just go slow and dun be afraid to cut short the run.. 3rd run onward, everything will be familiar again..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

You and my fiance are at a similar level right now.

Your fiance seems like a cool chick, she should come join the fun on here

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Zelanie

Good morning!  Today would normally be my day to run the social run, but most of the people I usually run with won't be there, plus since I'm not working I have a chance to run in the daylight, so I'm thinking of skipping it and running earlier.  I'd like to get 7 in again today.  My weekly mileage will still be low but I think I've learned not to try to make up for missed runs when I get behind, but instead just to go back to normal and things will even out.

Gustav- Hooray for the exercise mat!

Jerry- Enjoy the long weekend!

D- GL with the miles later.

Mitch- Hope you have a good RD!

Bin- I think I was doing like 6 MPW when I signed up for the miles game.  Sometimes it's single digits that separate one team from another on the list, so everybody counts!

Kristin- GL getting everything caught up!

Awood- I think I've heard that you can use a 10% rule of thumb for time off, too.  Basically every week that you're off, take 10% off of what you were doing when you come back.  Although, when I took a week off in August, I rebuilt from scratch.  But I was really paranoid about my IT band issue.  I don't think I'd cut back that far in the future, but it did do the trick.  I used my week off to learn some XT stuff with my daughter.  And I did a ton of walking.  Almost as much as I had been running.  But it didn't seem to slow my improvement.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Kristin - I've brought it up to her before, but she keeps telling me that she's not a runner.  It's become kind of a running joke around here.  She'll be running a half marathon, and she'll still deny it.  I'm sure of it.

Bin - Good to know.  I'll keep it in mind.

Zel - Just join my rest day.  All the cool kids are doing it.  I think week 1 of phase 2 is only about 80% of my peak mileage.  So, that may work out perfectly.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

From the Internet.

Streaking yay. Awood I know it's frustrating but it's better than being injured and sidelined for a very long time Sad

WORD. I'm on day 9 of a reverse-streak myself, Awood, so I'll keep you company Smile

I was able to get back to my usual lifting routine today Big grin I'd cut out squats and deadlifts while I was busy freaking out about the possible stress fracture. My legs feel like jello and I'm about to fall into an exercise-induced coma of happiness. Ahhh.

Docket_Rocket

When are you starting back?  BTW, not sure if anybody linked you to Venomized's shin splints routine, but his thread in RWOL have helped a lot of us overcome shin splints.

WORD. I'm on day 9 of a reverse-streak myself, Awood, so I'll keep you company Smile

I was able to get back to my usual lifting routine today Big grin I'd cut out squats and deadlifts while I was busy freaking out about the possible stress fracture. My legs feel like jello and I'm about to fall into an exercise-induced coma of happiness. Ahhh.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

6 miles done!

Awood: Good luck with the rest day streak!!

hog4life

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hola Penguins, Happy Thursday!  First day back at work since last Friday, so it took me a while to get my in-box cleaned out!  Pretty quiet at the office as we are on "Skeleton Crew" until after New Year's next week.  I only have to work a half-day tomorrow and Monday morning, so not too bad.  Will get off at 4 pm. today and then plan to go run around the university campus.  Should be nice and quiet there too as the majority of students are all home for the holidays.  Flippin' cold again today, 27 degrees this morning and a high today of only 52.  Then tomorrow our temp goes back up to 70, go figure.

Brrr, Gustav, at least we don't have icy streets, thank goodness!  Stay safe out there!  Enjoy that new exercise mat!

Happy early Friday for you, Jerry!  Have a great run with the DW!

Happy working from home, Damaris.  Wish I was...my office computer is having a hissy fit!

Happy rest day, Mitch!  I'd rest too after a 12-hour shift!

Bin, let the game begin!  Enjoy!

Kristin!!  Do your strength exercises regularly!  Don't make me come up there, young lady! Wink  Seriously, if I had done my strength exercises like I was supposed to have done and maintained them regularly, also like I was supposed to have done, I probably would have a lot less back problems today.  So do them regularly, they will help you prevent future issues.  No guarantees, of course, but hey, you probably lessen your chances of injury to some degree by keeping in shape with an all-around full body program.  So don't be a slacker like I was and end up with a lifetime of problems.

Actually, I'm streaking too, Awood.  If i do run after work today this will be my 6th day of running in a row.  It will also end the streak cuz I am definitely taking a rest day tomorrow.  A week off should not affect your training, you should be able to start right back where you stopped.  That being said, with the issues you've been  having, if it were me, I'd half my mileage for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. Don't want to relapse!  Good luck!

Zelanie, don't get out there and melt since you're not used to daylight running! Wink  Have fun with it!

Lauren, glad you are able to do something!  Enjoy doing the workouts you can, the rest will take care of itself. You will be back to running, no doubt in my mind.    Also strengthen your shins up by table-sitting.  Sit on a table, legs hanging down.  Stretch your foot back as if you are trying to touch your shin with your toes.  You'll feel the stretch in your shins.  Hold a few seconds.  Relax.  Repeat.  Do about 10 reps each leg.  After a couple of weeks you will get stronger.   At that point, to make your shins even more stronger, start adding some weight to your foot.  You can use those weights with sand in them that wrap around your ankle, or if you're on a budget, hey, just fill up a sock with some sugar or rice, kitty litter, or whatever, and then tie the sock around your ankle and use that as a weight, works just as well.    Also, If you need to, get some heel cushions (my favorites are Sorbothane heel cushions/pads) when you come back to running and put these under your insoles snug against the back of the heel of your shoe. When you land, this will give your foot some additional cushioning when your foot impacts on the ground and will be less stress on your shins.  Use them temporarily until your shins are 100 percent. In my case, with some problems I have, I have to use mine permanently, since my feet, etc, are not 'normal." .  DON'T do that without a doctor's recommendation cuz long-term use of them could potentially cause some other problems.   Good luck!

Congrats on your miles, Jack!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Wow, Scotty, almost 20 degrees warmer for us up here today!  It ended up being a beautiful day here, so I just kept running and ended up with 8.25 for the day.  Looks like the clouds are rolling in now, so good timing too.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Stayed on the track again, clockwise today. Actually had a real runner pushing us, but tired out after 3 miles.  Felt good anyway.  Try a different track tomorrow morning.  Merry Christmas to the Toyota dealer for a big repair on the old Sienna.  Sad

Have a good rest day tomorrow scott.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Strength/toning routine: done! Thanks Scotty for the little nudge I needed!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to