Beginners and Beyond

Memorial Day Weekend Penguins (Read 15 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

Another hot and humid day here.  I'll probably do a rest day or a few on the TM later.  It's time to get serious about prepping for our summer trip.  Reading the Milepost doesn't get the bags packed or the house cleaned.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon.  Also a TM run, but not sure of distance, depending on whether I decide on a race (5K) on Monday or not.  Sorry, but mid 80s and humid at 7:30am does not give me comfort that I won't have an asthma attack at the race.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Track meet today. Stumbled the start of the 100 16:33 did ok on the 200 33:88. 1 of 1 in both.

GinnyinPA

Pad  - congratulations on running the race, when others in your age group stayed home.  How much of a warm up do you do for those short distances?

D - I thought you didn't like 5ks in any case, much less in summer.  I did a 5 mile race last August and it was not fun and it was cooler than Miami.

The lawn got mowed, but that's as far as I went. It's good cross training.

PADRunner

Pad  - congratulations on running the race, when others in your age group stayed home.  How much of a warm up do you do for those short distances?

D - I thought you didn't like 5ks in any case, much less in summer.  I did a 5 mile race last August and it was not fun and it was cooler than Miami.

I probably did a couple of miles before between and after.

Docket_Rocket

I don't do short distances (ever or even often) but sometimes I do have a brain fart, LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

PAD is burning down the igloo with those times!

I'm trying a very silly motivational trick that won't do a thing for my training, but if it helps get my mojo back, I'm for it.  I haven't made my weekly goal in a while, but now with my adjusted goal, it was within reach this week, although a bit higher than I've done in a while.  Still, I got lazy last night and ended up with more miles left for the weekend than I should really run at my current mileage.  So, I'm going to run 1 mile a whole bunch of times.  I'm thinking that the chance to hit my mileage goal for the week, plus a whole bunch of times that I'll be forcing myself to stop running when I'm still having fun will be a worthwhile experience.  So far, I've run 4.7 miles in 4 sessions. 

GinnyinPA

Z - sorry you're having problems with your mojo right now.  Is it heat, or the stress of the end of the school year?

Another hot (85) and humid day here.  I headed to the rail trail in Shippensburg, thinking it would be shady, but was somewhat disappointed. It was still hot and not as shady as I thought. I ran 10 miles, instead of the 12 I had intended. Although I felt like I was running easy, I needed to slow down more.  I ran/walked the second half.

Docket_Rocket

Ginny, that's why I prefer the TM from the get go in anything above 83F.  I used to cut runs too often to give me comfort.  Nice job!

Ran 6.13 on the TM, including a Tune UP 5K.  Moved my LR until tomorrow due to time.

Z, hugs.  Sorry about your lack of mojo. Maybe signing up for another race might help?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Z - sorry you're having problems with your mojo right now.  Is it heat, or the stress of the end of the school year?

I think it's that I don't have any races or training plan, and the long hours I'm working with the two jobs is really taking its toll.  I just want to veg when I do get home, even though I know that's not good for me.

My silly plan did work, though.  I got 19 miles done over the 2 days, even though I have nowhere near the conditioning to do that as two "normal" runs.  And in between, I got the house clean too.

Zelanie

Had a nice little 6 miler today.  It was warm but not too terrible if I stuck to shady routes.  How is everyone today?

Docket_Rocket

Nice job!

18 on the TM with the last 8 @ MP + 10% on the TM this morning.  And Pilates 2 hours later.  That hurt but left me soreless.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Nice job!

18 on the TM with the last 8 @ MP + 10% on the TM this morning.  And Pilates 2 hours later.  That hurt but left me soreless.

Soreless?  As in you went into it sore and came out feeling better?

Nice run!

Docket_Rocket

Yeap.  I usually do that the Monday post marathon for the same reason.

Damaris

Fundraising Page