Beginners and Beyond

Thursdailies Winter Penguins - Running, Playing, or Hibernating? (Read 19 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Image result for summer penguins

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, yesterday here in San Antonio it went up to 80 degrees.  Tuesday, it was up to 75 degrees.  This is winter for us - with the occasional 50 degree drop in temp for a couple of days, like it was last weekend, with temps in the 20s.  This is probably why, in our crazy weather area, lots of people are walking around with the coughs and sniffles, as the bodies aren't adjusting with all this back-and-forth weather change stuff going on.

Ran 4 miles on Tuesday around the UTSA campus and last night did 3.1 miles in a local park, followed by a really nice birthday bash for one of our local runners....good food, beer, etc., all enjoyed by lots of sweaty people.  Good thing the weather was warm so all us stinky folks could sit in the outside patio area.

Crazy San Antonio area weather!  We are definitely outside playing, though....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

No hibernating here! 48F with a light drizzle this morning. Shorts weather!

I ran 8ish miles with 5x5 minute tempo-type intervals, 2:30 float recoveries. Started off a little rough, I should have warmed up a few more minutes before going into the workout, but ended up feeling really good.

LRB

I was supposed to run the Celebration marathon last January.  The wheels fell off 6 weeks before that and I've spent the last year talking about other people running. I don't care if it's on a TM staring out a window.  I want to run. Breathing at the same time would be great.

On my limited miles I ran a 5k PR in December,  so I can have good days.

Awesome!

I hope it all works out for you. ❤

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I'm still battling the dragons from yesterday, who knows if I'm actually making progress?  But it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, so I think I'll take my walk outside today.  Chorus rehearsal tonight as well, woo-hoo!!

Scottydog -- hey, man, we've missed you!!  Laughing at the food, beer, and sweaty people!  And yeah, your weather is just mind-blowing!

Lauren -- woo-hoo for your shorts!!

LRB -- glad to see you dropping in!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - we got some of your weather here this week. After all the cold last weekend, today is supposed to go up to 62, then we drop back to the 30's on Saturday. Yikes.  No colds here, but we aren't around kids much any more. Sounds like you had a couple of nice fun runs.

HopesMom - enjoy your lunchtime walk and rehearsal tonight.

Lauren - good job on your wet speedy run.

Hi LRB.

Cindy - a 5k PR when you're not running a lot is terrific.  I haven't run a 5k in a couple of years so I have no idea what would happen, except that most of my running is easy so it would probably be pretty slow.

I have 4 on the schedule for this afternoon. If the rain holds off, I may go to the park or to town for something different.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Hi LRB, Scotty, Lauren, Hs'M

Thanks LRB and Ginny.

I'll probably do some weights and step-ups later.

I live in a beautiful area, lots of trees and a nature preserve nearby. I love running here. Well, maybe it's more the idea of running here. I think I'll wait until Monday to try again. Under air conditioning.

We're paying to have the TM assembled. About 5 years ago, I had a NordicTrack. That one we assembled. The marriage survived, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. Smile That TM was nothing but trouble from the day it arrived. It wasn't going to make the trip to Florida, so I tried to get rid of it. I thought we would have to take it to the dump, but some guy offered $100 for it. I still feel guilty about that.

It's shorts weather here again. Yay. This part of Florida gets down to freezing sometimes. Like the last several nights.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  I have Pilates and 4-5 miles tonight.

Not hibernating here.  We should be heading to hot vs less hot after this weekend.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

7done this morning. almost 70° this morning in Jan.

Scotty Thought of you when I drove by UTSA last Sunday on my way back from Bandera.

Singer who runs a smidge

It's 70 degrees out (though the local kids had a snow day yesterday), so I walked.  Booyah.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

It was 62 when I did my 5.4 at the park. The rain circled around and missed us. Yay!

Cindy - do you live near Tallahassee?  I like that part of Florida.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Ginny- I'm about 3 1/2 hours southeast of Tallahassee near the coast. We passed through there on our trip halfway across the country with all of our belongings in a U-Haul, but it was a blur. Sometime we need to get back up there and look around.

We spent 3 years in St Pete. Now we're in a much more rural area and I like this a lot better.

Zelanie

Ginny- I'm about 3 1/2 hours southeast of Tallahassee near the coast. We passed through there on our trip halfway across the country with all of our belongings in a U-Haul, but it was a blur. Sometime we need to get back up there and look around.

We spent 3 years in St Pete. Now we're in a much more rural area and I like this a lot better.

Plus you have a local rival for your next 5k iirc. Smile

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Plus you have a local rival for your next 5k iirc. Smile

She didn't show up for the last two. Smile

Zelanie

She didn't show up for the last two. Smile

Couldn't take the pressure!