Beginners and Beyond

Losing My First Toenail... (Read 109 times)

Hip Redux

"Please no photos, please no photos"  <------ me, upon opening this thread.

I think this is your indocrination into becoming a real runner.  I hear you gotta sacrafice a toe nail or two.  I haven't yet gotten to that point. Big grin

Sloooow.

PLEASE tell me this is only common with people with high mileage?!

Some of my worst nightmares are about nails falling off (and teeth falling out). Makes me shudder.

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

Yeah, when my shoes don't fit properly.

In transit, arriving on time. 

Mmmmm...beer

Some of my worst nightmares are about nails falling off (and teeth falling out). Makes me shudder.

Mine only happened because my feet were soaking wet for my first half.  From the wet socks I ended up with a huge blood blister that went under the nailbed and the nail ended up coming off.  I don't lose toenails during my regular training.  I got another blister (not nearly as bad) at my 20k, again, wet shoes/socks.  If it's a regular run in the rain I'm fine and don't get blisters, and I don't get blisters when my feet stay dry, but it seems that a race effort in wet socks will get me.  I did load up my feet with bodyglide for my 20k, since I knew it was going to be raining, so that probably helped.  Ill fitting shoes seems to be the biggest culprit for others.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

Don't worry, teeth falling out doesn't happen until you hit about 35-40 miles or so...

Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

You can save them if you take care of them right away. might sound gross but this works!! When you first notice the black, which of course is actually blood, then take a straight pin needle or the end of a paper clip. Heat the end until it gets red hot, and carefully push the trip through the middle of tonail.  Careful not to touch the skin underneath. This will allow the blood under tonail to exit through hole. It will also relieve the throbbing instantly. Best of all you wont loose the nail. Works great on finger nails as well.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I haven't lost one to running yet, but is it like when you drop a sledge hammer on your toe?  Last time I got a black nail that way, I drilled a tiny hole in it and let the blood out from where it originated.  It reduced the pressure, kept the black to a small area, and the nail didn't fall off.  It just grew out.  I wonder if that works for running related black nails?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I should have read this before I posted.

You can save them if you take care of them right away. might sound gross but this works!! When you first notice the black, which of course is actually blood, then take a straight pin needle or the end of a paper clip. Heat the end until it gets red hot, and carefully push the trip through the middle of tonail.  Careful not to touch the skin underneath. This will allow the blood under tonail to exit through hole. It will also relieve the throbbing instantly. Best of all you wont loose the nail. Works great on finger nails as well.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Mine only happened because my feet were soaking wet for my first half.  From the wet socks I ended up with a huge blood blister that went under the nailbed and the nail ended up coming off.  I don't lose toenails during my regular training.  I got another blister (not nearly as bad) at my 20k, again, wet shoes/socks.  If it's a regular run in the rain I'm fine and don't get blisters, and I don't get blisters when my feet stay dry, but it seems that a race effort in wet socks will get me.  I did load up my feet with bodyglide for my 20k, since I knew it was going to be raining, so that probably helped.  Ill fitting shoes seems to be the biggest culprit for others.

QUOTE: ooops picked the wrong message!! Argh!!

Yeah usually high mileage or loose fitting shoes. Although my last one occured when I dropped a steel SCUBA clyinder on it. Happened instantly with zero miles! Big grin

Ultra Cowboy

Cowboy up cupcake....Or I'll post my toe from the night after my first 50k.  It was throbbing so bad, I was convinced pulling it off would make it feel better....The beers and tequila from that night may have contributed to the application of the multi tool that night....

WYBMADIITY

Save

Eww, you guys are gross.  Another reason I'm glad I don't wear normal running shoes.  Not a problem for me.  A friend posted a photo from losing a nail during a long run this weekend- half the sock was soaked in blood.  Gross.

I have lost a couple of toenails before, though.  Once from wearing ill-fitting cleats for soccer in high school (it just fell off eventually).  The other time was when a horse stepped on my foot.  Hurt like a mother, I even went to the ER because we thought I'd broken my foot.  The doctor lanced the nail (as has been suggested here) and it felt sooo much better.  That one eventually fell off, too.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

Coastal

I know about the drill a hole in the toenail trick, but the way I get black toe it doesn't work.  Wish it did.