Beginners and Beyond

Having a mental breakdown from injuries (Read 126 times)

Speaking of other activities, I made this art piece on my computer drawing tablet quite awhile ago... pretty proud of it.  I didn't use photo references at all.  (To draw the hand, I looked at my hand).

Your hand was on fire at the time? What people do for their art!!

Dave

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I'm really sorry, everyone, and thank you.  I really should have just stepped back from posting altogether when I found out I had to take some time off running.  I've refocused, immersed myself in work instead, and done the elliptical as ordered by the doc instead of running.  Inflammation is palpably better but still not running yet, and honestly, I'm fine with that--I just can't dwell on it and really need to step back from the running community.  I know sticking around works for some, but clearly NOT for me.

Thanks again for the support.  I truly apologize for my irrationality, which I can explain but not excuse by my depression.

I've tried meds before, btw.  The trouble is that due to my gastritis, many of them are not safe due to the risk of gastric bleeding.  I've also not seen positive results, sadly.  I think it's just something I'll have to live with.

Also, the elliptical is not so bad after all.  Nor is spin class now that one particularly stinky woman no longer attends.

Good luck to everyone else dealing with injury or other adversity, and good night.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time, and have been injured so much Sad it sucks and it's not fair. I'm sorry. Don't feel bad for reaching out to us here....all friends here!! Hope things look up for you soon. PS- I have dealt with gastritis on and off for over 4 years.....no fun either Sad

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I really should have just stepped back from posting altogether when I found out I had to take some time off running. 

Scapp, you may be down from running right now, but...an injured penguin is still a penguin.   So you're still one of us.  Don't be a stranger. This forum can be a very positive support group for you.  However, you have to decide what's right for you, so whatever you decide, I wish you all the luck.

Sorry you are dealing with all the injuries.  I've had my share over the years, but have managed to come back from them.  One thing I learned coming back is you have to go at your own pace, don't push it.  I can't tell you how many times I started completely all over, from Day One of a beginner's run/walk program and building up again - very SLOWLY - to get back to where I was.  The other thing I learned during my comeback was you have to make yourself have amnesia about your previous injuries and really make the effort to push any worries about relapsing all the way into the back of your mind.  It's tough, but it can be done.  For me, I think the mental discipline for my comeback was much harder than my actual physical activity.

Good luck, scapp, I hope you can find what works for you!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt