Beginners and Beyond

So, how do you attract new members? (Read 542 times)

Love the Half

The lifeblood of the RWOL BF was the interaction between new members and those who had been around for a while.  BF and Beyond suggests absolutely nothing and if you don't attract new members, you are destined to gradually drift apart and die out.  You don't necessarily want to poach the Running 101 forum but without doing that, how do you attract new members?  Is a new name in order?  I don't know but I do know that any group needs a constant influx of new members if the group is to continue. 

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

We have already had visitors who are RA regulars. Unless we are really concerned with continuing to attract "beginners", I would think we will continue to have visitors who will eventually become full participants. I could be wrong though.
      wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

After this huge influx from the BF fades, we might want to consider changing the name to Beginners and Beyond.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

I agree that changing the name might help bring more people in.  I also really really hope that more RA regulars poke their heads in here!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

I'd agree and not having the home say for rwol maqy help too. It seems exclusive so many may not want to join or think we won't welcome all?

Marjorie

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

I thought about this earlier in the week when the mini debate went on about placement of the dailies, as I was looking at integration and not segregation. Flippy brought up the visiting of some RA runners to this user group, which I'm sure more will do out of curiosity. Right now if we want to think long term, we really should change the name.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

As I've been joining new groups, after I introduce myself I invite everyone to come over and look around BF and Beyond, this is what I added to my intro in the Masters Running group last night.

"Stop over to the BF and Beyond and look around when ya get a chance, we're friendly people over there, just a tad chatty."

delicate flower

Hey, can't we just enjoy this place for a week before we start to worry about it's imminent demise?  Big grin

<3

Here I yam.  You don't know me 'cause I be shy.  But I know y'all.

Docket_Rocket

I think we should also interact more with the Running101 and General forums, to increase our victim numbers.  There are several threads there from beginners and I think once they know we're around they will start visiting. :-)

Changing the title as Beginner's and Beyond sounds reasonable.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Little Blue

Hey, can't we just enjoy this place for a week before we start to worry about it's imminent demise?  Big grin

+1

Baby steps, folks.  Let's let the paint on the  "grand opening" sign dry first.

Jess runs for bacon

Here I yam.  You don't know me 'cause I be shy.  But I know y'all.

yhallothar. You bring coffee?

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

You don't have to have them come to YOU, YOU can also go to them. I am quite enjoying visiting some of the other usergroups as well. Word of mouth, or rather word by keystroke, may attract them here. But I do agree, the title of this group can be tweaked.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Hey if your going to start inviting regular RA people in here then I'm leaving.  I came in here to observe and record you guys in your natural habitat.

Personally I would leave things alone for a week or two so that people still coming over know where to find you guys.  It is probablly easier with RWOL in the description.  Plenty of time for us all to mix and mingle.  You guys need time to find each other after the airplane crash and we need to time to get used to all of the new people on our island.  I hope that makes sense. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                              • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                              • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
                              FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

We have lurkers coming out of the woodwork now. I don't see any need to recruit folks at all. There is an entire main forum out there.