Beginners and Beyond

The cool Penguins of Thursday (Read 15 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

'Cause it's not so hot out there today.  Unless you're Docket, in which case every day is lived on the surface of the sun.

Chorus rehearsal tonight, how about y'all?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

lewjeffrey

I got in three miles this morning for my first run since Sunday.  I used to run four days a week, but lately I've been struggling to get two runs in a week.  I have at least ten pounds to lose and probably in my worst physical shape since 2010.  I am going to start posting here again for accountability to get back out there and hopefully get a kick in the pants when I slack and a love nip when I do well.

This week it might be hard for me to get four runs in, but the goal is to do another one tomorrow during my lunch break and then hopefully one on Sunday morning.  The lunch break run used to be a healthy staple for me, but at the job that I have been at for two years (which I absolutely love), I struggle to take a real lunch break and go for a run because in a sense I am doing the work of three people and find it hard to get away from my desk.

Hi HopesMom - hope chorus rehearsal goes well tonight!  I have band practice tonight for the worship team at church!

Zelanie

Hi Jeffrey!  Welcome back!  It's amazing how easily something that once was routine starts becoming really hard again- both the running and the finding time to run.  Good job getting out there today.

HsM- Enjoy rehearsal!  It will be 90 here today.  Not as bad as it was, but still not "cool".

I'm again trying to cram miles into the early part of the week since I'll be busy later.  If I'm on top of things, I'll run 10 again tonight.  If not, I'll have to run tomorrow AM too, and I'm a terrible AM runner.  What I'm thinking is that I'll run a few here, then go to the social run afterwards.

Singer who runs a smidge

Lew, welcome back!!  Finding the time is always hard -- coming back from injury, I'm having a tough time getting in 3x per week.  But they say you make time for the stuff you want to do, and they're probably right. 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hi Pens!

My headache finally subsided enough for me to run a bit.  I only did 3.3 miles because I didn't want to push it too much.  I'm feeling okay now - still a tiny headache, but not pounding as I feared.  I may try for more miles in the evening if I'm still feeling okay.  Maybe I can drag DH out for a short run =D  My tummy didn't give me any issues on my run (thankfully).  I took a couple of TUMS beforehand just in case.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  I have 7 miles after Pilates tonight.

Hope, true!  Enjoy rehearsal.

Hi, Lew!

Z, hope you get to cram your miles.

sapf, glad to hear your headache is better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hot here today....103 heat index for today, actual temp 99 degrees.  So ran this morning.  After my hills yesterday, today was a nice easy run on flat roads and trails in a scenic local park.  3.3 miles done.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, so maybe Scotty is also running on the surface of the sun.  Am I the only one with cooler weather?  The high today is somewhere around 80, and the low is 59!

Brilliant

Hello Penguins!

Hopesmom,  have a great rehearsal!

LJ, hi there!  Good luck with getting back into a routine.

Zel, I'm the opposite - I'm a terrible PM runner.  I hope you get your 10 in tonight.

Jill, glad the headache abated enough for a run.  Take it easy.

Damaris, enjoy the 7.

Scotty, nice running.

I, too, am running on the surface of the sun...got a late start because I was running with a friend who had to get her 4 kids off to school.  It was already 80 degrees at 8AM, and 84 an hour later.  That was some hot slow 5 miles.  The nice thing was because I was in my old neighborhood I got to stop at my favorite burrito place.  I ate half the burrito for breakfast and saved the other half for lunch.  They are GINORMOUS and only $5.25!!  Best deal in Orange County.