Beginners and Beyond

First of March Penguins (Read 18 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  With the passing of Leap Day, March comes rolling in.

Anyway, today I'll do about 5ish with maybe some intervals thrown in.  I'll probably do it on the TM because I find it easier to maintain my pace on it.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

5 for me, but it will be on the track since we got about an inch of ice last night.  Happy first day of spring.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  URD as I have to give a class at UM tonight, since my coworker had to do a surgical procedure and cannot make it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Going up to 80 degrees today in San Antonio.  Supposed to be VERY windy, though, so I got up this morning and did a 40 minute run/walk around the campus of the university I work for.  Sweet weather too, low humidity and dew-point and a very pleasant 61 degrees.  I also nearly got run over by some idiot on the campus doing about 30 mph (the campus speed limit is 20) and I was right in the middle of the cross-walk, but he didn't even stop.  Thankfully I saw him!  I jumped aside and banged the side of his vehicle as he passed me, the dumb ass.  This made him stop a little past me and he got out of the car, some student kid, about 23 or 24; I guess he was upset I banged the side of his car.  Unfortunately for him, a police vehicle had been right behind him, lol, and the officer had seen the whole thing. The kid got a ticket for speeding and failing to stop for a pedestrian in the cross-walk (which is required by state law).  He told the cop "But he banged my car!"  I thought the cop was funny, and very "appropriate" and polite.  He said "In self defense.  And all I saw was that he was pushing himself away from the vehicle. What would you have done if it was you in the crosswalk and some negligent driver came right at you?  Whatever you can to save yourself.  Here's your ticket.  Have a nice day."   lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  They say March is supposed to be "in like a lion, out like a lamb", but it's supposed to be in the 60's today, so yay!!  I think I'll corral DH and Dusty and go for a walk when I get home.  

Jill -- I would never voluntarily choose the TM!!  Have fun with your intervals!

Jerryb -- Enjoy your 5, don't slip on the ice!!

Docket -- sorry about your URD, hope the class goes well!!

scotty -- Wow, awesome cop and annoying kid!!  You'd think he'd be a little cautious after nearly running someone down.  Glad you had a good run/walk!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Philliefan33

Scotty, I would've banged on the side of the car also. Good for you, and wasn't it nice that there was a cop to see it all!

Today was the last in a string of nice days, so I got out and did almost five miles.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - A friend of mine in a similar situation banged the car so hard there was a big dent in it.  He was a big guy, about 250 pounds, and he was mad!  Nice thing the cop was right there or it could have gotten really ugly.  I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Damaris - I hope the class went well.

Hopesmom - did you get your walk?

Jill - I'm the same way on intervals and tempo runs - it's easier to maintain and even pace on the TM.  At the same time, I think there's a benefit to learning how to do it without the TM regulating the pace.

Jerry - I hope you enjoyed your indoor miles.

Margo - nice job on the springlike 5.

AFM:  I finally got my first real run in today.  We're staying overnight at the KOA in San Antonio (Hi Scotty) and there's a Greenway that runs 20 feet behind our camper.  It was hot, but I did 4 miles along Salado Creek, enjoying the shade after several days of hot dry desert. .