Beginners and Beyond

Week 16: Sending good Penguin vibes to Ginny!! (04/15-04/21) (Read 9 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Apologies for the slightly late start, but I've been doing stuff for chorus all morning.  Saturday was my last management team meeting (I'm stepping down as team coordinator), but somehow I ended up with about 10 things I need to take care of!  So I've done some of those.  I worked in the garden a little Saturday and Sunday, so yoga this morning was less of an option and more of a lifesaver!  But my hamstrings weren't nearly as sore as I expected, due to the aforementioned yoga habit, so that was nice.

Probably won't get back in the garden today, as it poured like crazy last night and this morning.

Go, Ginny, go!! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Woke up at 6am and have been traveling since 7.  Just got to my hotel room in SC, but I was able to track Ginny and the other Boston runners.  Great job, Ginny!  Sounds like it was a tough day of wind and rain, ugh.

I have 4 and weights when I feel less lazy.

HopesMom, thanks for getting us started!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Wow, Ginny, read your report!  Sounds like a good race under not the greatest of conditions.

I'll be running samples until the wee hours of morning ... luckily my instruments can run without my presence.  Just hope nothing clogs and morning brings mucho data!

Docket_Rocket

Enjoy the sampling!

I just finished with my training, and planning on running 4 miles soon.  It is still nice outside here in SC, although in the 70s now and getting hot tomorrow.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

We drove 10 hours and got home, but still have to do the 4-5 hour RT drive to pick up Ben. That wasn't happening today. We spent two hours driving through a snow storm in northern PA. Crazy.

Docket_Rocket

We drove 10 hours and got home, but still have to do the 4-5 hour RT drive to pick up Ben. That wasn't happening today. We spent two hours driving through a snow storm in northern PA. Crazy.

Wow, where did you leave Ben again?  Your family?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Jim's son's family in Maryland took care of him. We decided that the extra drive was worth it since he could get more attention and exercise than he would at a kennel. I hated the idea of him sitting in a concrete cage for 5 days with no real exercise.

Docket_Rocket

Hoping you have Ben back!

I have an RD.  Traveling back home today and it is a long ass trek. I hate non-direct flights.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Safe travels!

Ben was less excited to see us than I expected, but he did enjoy our walk on the way home and seems to be very happy to be home again. He likes getting back into our normal routine again. Evidently he behaved quite well, which was a relief.

Gray rainy day here, but we were able to go for a walk between showers. I'm getting up and down the stairs almost normally, but the legs still feel weird, so I'll skip a recovery run today.

Singer who runs a smidge

Dusty isn't usually excited to see us after we travel either.  He's very interested in the neighborhood and the back yard, but the people aren't really important, until after he's checked everything out.  Then it's couch time with the humans!