Beginners and Beyond

The roller coaster of Penguin Tuesdailies! (Read 8 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Apparently it's both National Roller Coaster Day and National Airborne Day.  Who thought having these on the same day was a good idea?  I like roller coasters myself, but DH hates them and won't ride them.  And since the lines are always long and I hate leaving him standing around while I'm in line, I don't ride them any more.  Oh well, I suppose I'll live!!

How's your day going, Penguins?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning HsM.  Same here with the roller coasters. DW won't go near them.  She didn't even like running over the Bridge on the HM.

Back home and easy 3 planned for this morning.  Right Hammy is real tight after the 2 HM's.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  I have 8 miles tonight.  Spent all morning in court.

I would take roller coaster day, not airborne, though, but on the seat.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hi HsM, Jerry, and DR.

HSM - Great news about the running :-)

I've been dealing with mortgage stuff today.  I'm planning on doing 3 miles in a bit.  Maybe on the treadmill soon or outside much later this evening.  To be determined.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Mortgage stuff, blech!  At least the rates are still pretty low.  We refinanced out of our 6.25% mortgage several years ago.  We kept just about the same payment, but went from a 30-year to a 15-year.  Still have about 9 years left ...

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Mortgage stuff, blech!  At least the rates are still pretty low.  We refinanced out of our 6.25% mortgage several years ago.  We kept just about the same payment, but went from a 30-year to a 15-year.  Still have about 9 years left ...

9 years left isn't too bad.  Are you in your "forever" home?  The town we are moving to has decent elementary and middle schools but a pretty bad high school, so if we wind up having kids it is more of a 15 year home.  Then again, I went to a "crappy" high school and did just fine.  But my husband and I both believe strongly in public education and he believes in "good" education.

Mortgage stuff is a bit of a pain, but at least I can pull up all of our statements electronically and submit them online.  I think we are going to just qualify on DH's income alone since his income is simple w2 based stuff.  My income is all self employment and that just gets complicated and also isn't nearly as consistent or predictable as DH's income.  We are getting a pretty good rate - going for a 30 year because the market returns are greater than the interest rate on a 30 year.  The same is true for the 15 year obviously, but if we just consistently put the differential between the two payments into the market we'll be better off in the end.  (So says my finance guru friend)  But yeah, mortgage stuff is a pain.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Glad I'm not dealing with mortgage stuff. We are 7 years in to a 30 year and mostly pleased that we seem to have managed OK so far. We're a little bit ahead, but not as much as we probably could be. That's fine because we should both have more than 20 years of work left and the kid will hopefully be out of college in a few years.

I ran 1 mile this morning and now we are headed to Ashland to see some more Shakespeare. We have the "doom metal" version of Hamlet tonight.

Singer who runs a smidge

9 years left isn't too bad.  Are you in your "forever" home?  The town we are moving to has decent elementary and middle schools but a pretty bad high school, so if we wind up having kids it is more of a 15 year home.  Then again, I went to a "crappy" high school and did just fine.  But my husband and I both believe strongly in public education and he believes in "good" education.

Hopefully.  I've got a pretty good set-up, job-wise, and neither of us are interested in moving.  We like the town, the weather, our house ... basically no need to look for anything different.  Need DH to get on some repairs, though!!  He's fixed our dishwasher, dryer, washing machine, and hot water heater all in the past few years.  Now he needs to fix the attic fan, the back fence, and repair a crack in the ceiling left over from an earthquake a few years back.  And since our heat pump is 22 years old (!), we're laying money by for a new one, figuring this one will die someday soon.  Home ownership is never dull!!