Beginners and Beyond

GPS Watch Recommendations (Read 36 times)

Zelanie

I think that the charging backwards is the same issue - the watch loses connection with the charger and tries to reconect. If that happens over and over again,  it drains the battery looking for the connection.

My 610 needs to be coaxed and bribed and rinsed with alcohol to get it to charge, and then it still doesn't always want to sync. It's a few years old, and I am trying to get it to hang in there.

Cyberic

I think that the charging backwards is the same issue - the watch loses connection with the charger and tries to reconect. If that happens over and over again,  it drains the battery looking for the connection.

When my battery drained when I had it plugged in, that was my diagnosis (what you said Zel), not a reverse charge. And I was correct in my specific case.

But I don't know enough to say if in some other cases there is a reverse charge problem with some Garmins. With my knowledge, I don't know how that would be possible, but my electrical engeneering skills are somewhat limited (read: nonexistant).

I don't use alcohol, coaxing and bribing (dunno what that means) but whatever gets the oxydation off the metal connectors...

Zelanie

When my battery drained when I had it plugged in, that was my diagnosis (what you said Zel), not a reverse charge. And I was correct in my specific case.

I don't use alcohol, coaxing and bribing (dunno what that means) but whatever gets the oxydation off the metal connectors...

I got a rubbing alcohol spray, and sometimes I  soak the whole watch. Also, I use a binder clip to hold it on the charger. But I'm not above begging if it comes to that.

I would totally get a Garmin again. It's an old watch and I've run a lot of miles with it.

coaxed and bribed with alcohol 

Same way you get DH to do things?

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

I got a rubbing alcohol spray, and sometimes I  soak the whole watch. Also, I use a binder clip to hold it on the charger. But I'm not above begging if it comes to that.

I would totally get a Garmin again. It's an old watch and I've run a lot of miles with it.

I usually use those squares of rubbing alcohol... because it's easier than fussing with a bottle of liquid.  And because a couple of years ago I used an injected prescription and with every shipment, they sent me a ton of those wipes and I'm still drowning in them.  It works well.  Annoying, but I like the watch so I don't mind THAT much.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

My computer just froze, should I have gotten a Mac instead? 

Haha.  I've had 4 Garmins and they all had problems.  But the major suck is that piece of shit Garmin Express.  Which is why I will not go back to Garmin for a long time.

And yes, of course, who has a PC still?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

What is his 220 problem?

It exists....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

My 610 needs to be coaxed and bribed and rinsed with alcohol to get it to charge, and then it still doesn't always want to sync. It's a few years old, and I am trying to get it to hang in there.

My 610 only lasted 6 months.  I loved the Garmin but it was definitely not made for Miami weather.  They changed it and the second one broke too within 3 months (I still charge it and starts, drains, starts, drains, every second).  I ended up getting the 910 which is the only Garmin I have that still works.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

LRB

It exists....

You're on a roll. FFS.

It exists....

Sounds like operator error.

Dave

You Rang?

This happens a lot with my 620 -- especially when those contacts get sweaty.  Usually rubbing a pencil eraser against it does the job; if not, a swipe of alcohol will do it.  That said, I don't have the problem of the watch NOT charging -- it reverse charges!

But I do like my 620.  Other than that.

I've used the alcohol swab on the charging leads to no effect.

I just pushed the charging leads on the cradle with a paper clip, to be sure that they were extended out all the way.  I also rubbed the watch charging leads with a pencil eraser, and now it is charging.

Rick

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Never had a problem charging my Garmin or tomtom.  Apparently I don't sweat.

LRB

Never had a problem charging my Garmin or tomtom.  Apparently I don't sweat.

I have never had an issue with charging either. I always thought it was a problem specific to a couple of models.

Cyberic

I also rubbed the watch charging leads with a pencil eraser, and now it is charging.

Good. And if that doesn't work, try the sand paper/steel wool trick a try before you start throwing your money around like a certain resident of Florida I will not name and start buying  watches every three months.

LRB

I loved my 410, like literally.

The 220 was sleek and had nice lines, we just never made a connection.

The 620 is still deciding whether it wants me to like it or not but in the interim, the Bluetooth feature is awesome.