Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: I Am Second 5K (Read 22 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to a slideshow of just the photos: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2052%20I%20Am%20Second%205K

BEFORE THE START

This was my 52nd race of 2016 and my first 5K of my two scheduled 5Ks for the weekend of Oct 8 - 9. Held in Boerne, Texas, at Boerne High School on Oct 8, this event supports I Am Second and their student initiative (more info at: <cite>www.iamsecond.com</cite>).   There was a 5K and a 10K for this event, as well as a 1-mile fun run.   217 finishers for the 5K and 80 finishers for the 5K.  I felt pretty good for this event - and it did not hurt that our area had cooler weather come in for the weekend, giving us a 63-degree start time - and ended up finishing in 33:50, good enough for 2nd in my age group of 60-64.  I think there were only two IN my age group, lol.

I arrived at Boerne High School with about 45 minutes to go to start time and got some pre-start photos.

Our host organization for the race venue.

photo 023_zpsjlvvwbbq.jpg

IRun Texas running store/race management folks (timing, results, course setup, etc)  doing their thing before we participants get started.

photo 001_zpsdrmcqlql.jpg

The lonely start/finish line before all the participants got there

photo 002_zpsnmqmmwa2.jpg

Our MC who did a really great job

photo 004_zpshasmbksv.jpg

Me and the MC

photo 007_zps7wuofctu.jpg

photo 008_zpsoiqe9hy0.jpg

Me and friend, Karen.  Apparently she had to take a bit of a nap...so another photo followed

photo 009_zpsnjuq8l9g.jpg

photo 010_zps9vu20onf.jpg

Offering a doggie treat to the mascot of the Boerne High School Greyhounds

photo 021_zpscz4nyfw3.jpg

Various volunteers, participants, sponsors, etc.

photo 003_zpsgeddbakx.jpg

photo 011_zps75zjjz7k.jpg

photo 013_zpspbwwbqhl.jpg

photo 014_zpsroispwab.jpg

photo 015_zps2h9ale9u.jpg

photo 016_zpsgcctsv9t.jpg

photo 018_zpsgmxgmhkm.jpg

photo 019_zpsnup6tuaw.jpg

photo 024_zps57jbq6rx.jpg

photo 025_zpsjlxiibvd.jpg

photo 027_zpskfsygt3p.jpg

Two great friends of mine, Gene (also a cancer survivor) and Loyce.  During the race I caught up to Gene on the track and he and I ran in together.

photo 026_zpswmeqpppv.jpg

photo 033_zpsfwstgrrx.jpg

photo 034_zps49r4zbkr.jpg

Oops, I had these ladies looking right into the sun, sorry ladies.  Even so, they are still lovely.   Even the dog. 

photo 022_zpstqpjawnf.jpg

Need a massage or stretching before or after the race?

photo 012_zpswi2qdpzn.jpg

Then come see these folks..this is what they do...

photo 029_zpsonoixbcq.jpg

Camp Gladiator folks led the warmup exercises before everyone got started

photo 030_zpskpyimbup.jpg

photo 031_zpsrig80fbe.jpg

Some of the post-race goodies waiting for us to finish.

photo 028_zps28g7konk.jpg

Finisher medals and the water-bottle Age Group awards also were waiting...

photo 032_zpspg4ay1wl.jpg

...and the lady who helped give them all out to the winners

photo 035_zpslbgri5mc.jpg

On the track now...getting ready to start....

photo 036_zps2gy9qwa9.jpg

photo 037_zpsu2kni5y1.jpg

photo 038_zpszr4vpo0u.jpg

National Anthem with the flags flying proud in a good wind

photo 039_zpsky4mwnp9.jpg

And after that, off we went....

ON THE COURSE

Boerne may be the beginning of "Texas Hill Country" but this course was actually pretty flat.  A mix of paved roads that went through some very nice neighborhoods and some off-road paved trails.  Very nicely thought out loop course, with participants starting by doing 1 lap around the high school track - really nice track, too, one of those 'shock-absorbing' tracks, felt really good on the legs - then doing the route and finishing back on the track.   Weather was just beautiful.

photo 040_zps5uwsvn6z.jpg

photo 041_zps7xfdkpr2.jpg

The people behind this lovely lady are the 10K folks who went straight on the road, while we 5K folks turned onto this off-road trail

photo 042_zpsbdrhmqho.jpg

photo 043_zpsmouyb413.jpg

photo 044_zps8vnvlme5.jpg

photo 045_zps5abbwiqa.jpg

photo 046_zpsxtz8n23o.jpg

photo 047_zpsgxoyjgc8.jpg

photo 048_zpsplurviii.jpg

photo 049_zpswwc1cetj.jpg

photo 050_zps4uus70ys.jpg

photo 051_zpsdrqp2vxv.jpg

After taking that last photo of two of the on-course volunteers, I then ran nonstop back to the finish.

AFTER MY FINISH

Surprised myself by finishing under 34 minutes and also I ran in nonstop the last 1.2 miles and passed a whole lot of people that had passed me my last walk break when I was taking photos.   I felt pretty strong the whole way, a nice feeling since my torn-adductor muscle injury back in March.   After I rehydrated a bit and did my post-run stretches, it was off to get some photos of some of the "happy finishers", volunteers, etc.

photo 052_zpshubwlsn3.jpg

photo 053_zpsbqqj8l4q.jpg

photo 054_zpscvtapxvh.jpg

photo 055_zpsuhi5mrxw.jpg

photo 056_zpsesfnoopx.jpg

photo 057_zpsqqxcpzeu.jpg

photo 058_zpsgkpqsody.jpg

Selfie!  I use an old-fashioned Canon camera so, unlike a phone camera, I can't see my own image; but I've been using it so long I am really getting this 'no-see' selfie photo thing down, lol.

photo 059_zpsfdcfh9yw.jpg

photo 060_zpscfrgemnd.jpg

photo 061_zps6ktgxi21.jpg

photo 062_zps5avgae4y.jpg

photo 063_zpsvsgd2ymn.jpg

Oops, I got the doggie in the shadows...well, it's okay, I think doggie was more interested in one of my dog treats than the photo...

photo 064_zpsmxofhevr.jpg

photo 065_zpsgl5y2m3b.jpg

photo 066_zpsc1gudfxw.jpg

photo 067_zpskow7k9kp.jpg

Photo bombed in the first photo, lol.

photo 073_zpsh8ho0bww.jpg

photo 074_zpsapbxcpgn.jpg

This guy had the right idea.  This was very comfortable field turf to sit on after the race.

photo 068_zpsvi7sxyua.jpg

Some Team RWB (Red White Blue, veterans organization) members 'in the house'

photo 070_zpsfwotqdcb.jpg

photo 072_zpsziunyznj.jpg

Karen, 3rd in her age group

photo 069_zpslmvxdtp4.jpg

And she's just the right height for me to set my water 2nd place AG award bottle down...how convenient. 

photo 076_zpse2oblhpz.jpg

Before heading home, photo with friend Mitch.

photo 078_zpsns743i0a.jpg

EPILOGUE

First time I've done this event.  Recommended to me by a running friend who did this one last year.  She said I would enjoy it and she was certainly not wrong.  Nice course, friendly and great people out there - participants and volunteers, sponsors, etc. - nice post race goodies, finisher medal for everyone, and the Age Group awards were unique.  Very nice tech tee shirts in the goodie bags as well as a pair of socks, which I thought was a nice touch - I love me some long socks with designs on them, lol, and you don't see those put into a goodie bag at the majority of race events.   From all my wanderings around before, during, and after the race, looked like everyone was enjoying themselves.   I would definitely do this one again and recommend it to my fellow runners.  Mucho thanks to all the people who made this one happen for we participants - volunteers, law enforcement, sponsors, etc.  A BIG THANKS to Boerne High School for allowing all of us use of school grounds.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

I'm surprised you don't have a selfie stick, Scotty.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

The world is Scotty's selfie stick! Wink

"I Am Second" is a great movement!  Congrats Scott!

Randy

Docket_Rocket

Nice cause!

And damn, 52nd race?  Already?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page