Beginners and Beyond

On Top of Old Smokey SunDAILIES (Read 244 times)

LRB

Don't be too hard on yourself.  We all have to (re)start somewhere.

No pun intended, but I was having such pain there that I'm just happy I found out what it was.  It was not a point of emphasis or a part of my original evaluation.  I  just happened to mention it to one of my PT's in passing and two seconds later I had a remedy!

Just hanging around those two is paying huge dividends that way.

runmomto3boys

No pun intended, but I was having such pain there that I'm just happy I found out what it was.  It was not a point of emphasis or a part of my original evaluation.  I  just happened to mention it to one of my PT's in passing and two seconds later I had a remedy!

Just hanging around those two is paying huge dividends that way.

I must have missed the diagnosis, LRB: it ended up being a piriformis issue?

LRB

I must have missed the diagnosis, LRB: it ended up being a piriformis issue?

No, I didn't want to bore anyone which is why I never mentioned it but officially I lack flexibility, (specifically tight calves) which contributed to my achilles tendonitis.  But overall from top to bottom, I have tight muscles.

My right glute and left abductor is strong.  My left glute and right adductor is weak (weird right?) which was the cause of my hip pain.  I lack lateral strength in both hips mostly because everything I do (running, squats, dead lifts, elliptical, walking etc...) is front to back.

The first time they had me do side lunges, I felt like a fish trying to walk on its tail fin on the beach.  It wasn't pretty!

I never mentioned to anyone that I was having sporadic searing pain in my right glute when seated because I thought it was a result of driving a lot.  I cannot remember how the subject came up, but ever since I started doing those stretches, the pain has basically ceased.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hi all!  6.21 miles for me, done a little faster than easy pace, although it was to be an easy run.  My weekly total was 68, but it really didn't feel like that many miles.  Now I'm just relaxing for the day, and kinda hoping that eventually I'll be able to see a friend that's in town for the holidays.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

happylily

LRB, it sounds like you went through something very painful. Lack of flexibility... weird how we never think of those things... I'm glad you found the root of your problems. Congrats on your return to running!

22 easy miles this morning. 8:54 avg. pace, close enough to the 9:00 pace my coach begged me to do. Someone is starting to get on my nerves...

Now off for some wine shopping and other important stuff. Have a great Sunday, everyone!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Those of you who are my friends on dailymile and/or Facebook have already read about this, but I was kind of a dumbass today. After running my long run considerably faster than usual yesterday, I decided to run to the nearby HS track this morning to get an accurate picture as to how far away it is so I can work those miles into the training plan I am developing using Pfitz's HM plans. My plan was just to jog to the track, do some strides, and then jog back home. My warm-up jog was way faster than I had intended it to be and then I did 8x100m strides...and I was wiped out. However, I still had to make it back home...which was a slog of doom. I'm going to yoga here in a little while and tomorrow is a rest day for me, so I should be able to recover pretty well. Fortunately, I am not feeling particularly sore right now or anything. But still....dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb!

The good news is that the track is 1.85 miles from my house...PERFECT for a warm-up & cool-down. Also, from my house, it is just over 2 miles to a 1.5 mile jogging trail at the park. I have lots of great options for Pfitz's speedwork and 1.5 mile LT intervals and I never have to drive anywhere to find a good place to run....except for long hills.

B-Plus

Good morning everybody. I slept in until 11 today, so I think I better go get some things done and then I'll squeeze in a run in the mid to late afternoon. This will be my 3rd 70+ week.

Hi, all. I'm feeling a little out of it. I just finished 5.61 miles in 1:01:19. It's a fast day (no eating or drinking from dawn until nightfall, or from 5:40 a.m. to 5:03 p.m.), so I've had to postpone my ten-mile long run to sometime later this week. Scheduling my workout will be difficult because I have a normal work schedule tomorrow and Tuesday and gyms have either reduced or closed hours. I'm off to bed to rest until 5:03, after which I may refuel, rehydrate, and do weights and abs.

seeamyrun

Just finished my last 20 miler of the training cycle. Let the taper begin....whoop!

Having dinner with the family at the inlaws house tonight.

Have a good one!

Will run for scenery.

Well, looks like my car is dead.  At least I was able to drive it from the gas station parking lot to the side of a busy highway.Confused

I'm thinking the mechanics are all resting up today so they can show up to work bright n' early tomorrow and get it running so I don't have to walk around through the snowstorm heading our way.

Oh, and when I went to take down the number of the towing company (the one that didn't answer the phone) the ball point pen leaked all over my hand.

Could be worse.  But that doesn't change the fact that it could be better......

Got my pie ingredient shopping done. Tomorrow is bake day.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Robert31320

Team TJ

Morning LRB, bozydeco, April, Sparker, Gustav, Tom, Docket, and jneil.

I slept in this morning, first day without an alarm in 17 days.  Planning to run later today when it warms up some.  Frost on the ground this morning just didn't appeal to me.

D, glad to read the knee is not so bad.

Will report back later with miles.

6.1 miles done now.  I hungry now.

Running for TJ because he can't.

runmomto3boys

No, I didn't want to bore anyone which is why I never mentioned it but officially I lack flexibility, (specifically tight calves) which contributed to my achilles tendonitis.  But overall from top to bottom, I have tight muscles.

My right glute and left abductor is strong.  My left glute and right adductor is weak (weird right?) which was the cause of my hip pain.  I lack lateral strength in both hips mostly because everything I do (running, squats, dead lifts, elliptical, walking etc...) is front to back.

The first time they had me do side lunges, I felt like a fish trying to walk on its tail fin on the beach.  It wasn't pretty!

I never mentioned to anyone that I was having sporadic searing pain in my right glute when seated because I thought it was a result of driving a lot.  I cannot remember how the subject came up, but ever since I started doing those stretches, the pain has basically ceased.

I'm so glad to hear that the glute pain has resolved - I'm glad you mentioned that to the PT!!!  What a life changer.  I know what you mean about the lateral stuff - that was my issue too and something I'm working on as well.

Amy: Congrats - welcome to the taper!!!

Lily:  Great work on the 22 miler and on listening to the coach.  I know it's hard to slow down, but you did it!

LRB

I'm so glad to hear that the glute pain has resolved - I'm glad you mentioned that to the PT!!!  What a life changer.  I know what you mean about the lateral stuff - that was my issue too and something I'm working on as well.

Ironically, they are having me do every MRTYL exercise that you recommended from the very beginning, along with some others.  It's just under their direction, which I don't think I could have gotten to this point without.

Thanks Lily but it was really no big deal.  I adjusted my pace, mileage and expectations accordingly.

Flip, I do something similar only my track is a little less than a mile from home.  My favorite workout is a slow warmup trot there, then 5 X 1000's with 400 meter slow recoveries.  Then the slow trot back.

I run the entire time and the whole thing takes less than 40 minutes, but I be (busted up grammar intended) whupped afterwards!

Just take it easy your next few runs and you should be fine.

Docket_Rocket

I used to have the same problem.  You know what helped?  Yoga.  Oops. Joking

My chiro helps too, though.

Ironically, they are having me do every MRTYL exercise that you recommended from the very beginning, along with some others.  It's just under their direction, which I don't think I could have gotten to this point without.

Thanks Lily but it was really no big deal.  I adjusted my pace, mileage and expectations accordingly.

Flip, I do something similar only my track is a little less than a mile from home.  My favorite workout is a slow warmup trot there, then 5 X 1000's with 400 meter slow recoveries.  Then the slow trot back.

I run the entire time and the whole thing takes less than 40 minutes, but I be (busted up grammar intended) whupped afterwards!

Just take it easy your next few runs and you should be fine.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

Amy - Great job on the 20! Enjoy taper madness.

Great news, I got all my shopping done so Christmas is no longer cancelled. I'm going to head out for a run in a bit.